Im pretty impressed for what it is.

There's not much WRONG with it per say, just not what I'd call MD. Even when I worked at Cummins they called it a LDD, maybe they'll update some things.

Ever talked to anyone who owns a MD Freightliner with the Merc?

J White, thank you & I completely understand what you are saying. I was mostly trying to see if there was something glaring if you will in terms of design, componentry and the like. My biggest concern is going to be the longevity of the engine. The good news is I am an absolute fanatic about maintenance & protocol. I really do LOVE the truck & the engine though... and I appreciate what it is & the niche it fits. That being said while out of town on a job last week had my first warranty claim. The fan clutch assembly went out & the truck began to overheat. The local Nissan dealer in the town I was working immediately gave me a loaner truck. Took them 3 days to fix the truck due to the replacement not being in stock.

As for your comment about Freightliner & the Mercedes no I have not really, but I have been exposed to some pretty trick racing Mercedes trucks. Yes I know apples and oranges.

J White, thank you & I completely understand what you are saying. I was mostly trying to see if there was something glaring if you will in terms of design, componentry and the like. My biggest concern is going to be the longevity of the engine. The good news is I am an absolute fanatic about maintenance & protocol. I really do LOVE the truck & the engine though... and I appreciate what it is & the niche it fits. That being said while out of town on a job last week had my first warranty claim. The fan clutch assembly went out & the truck began to overheat. The local Nissan dealer in the town I was working immediately gave me a loaner truck. Took them 3 days to fix the truck due to the replacement not being in stock.

As for your comment about Freightliner & the Mercedes no I have not really, but I have been exposed to some pretty trick racing Mercedes trucks. Yes I know apples and oranges.

I enjoy the truck a lot as well, and look forward to putting way out of its comfort zone and loading my dually on a gooseneck to drop it off to get the trans refreshed! What’s a few tons over weight anyways these days?!

Anyhow, the one thing I’m finding is being there’s not a whole lot of them out there still many dealers are relatively inexperienced on working on them.

Do I think there’s serious potential yes, will there be any due to demand... that I’m unsure of.

I’m not even gonna lie though, my dually has my heart and it’s tough to beat that feeling of something fast that doesn’t look like it should be. Had to break the heart of a new RS7 owner yesterday, and that feeling never gets old!

20190618-201110.jpg

Getting a little geared up now. At 20.5k miles now and thinking I'm deleting soon.

Dang, Im jelly. Gonna have to save some pennies and get this thing deleted

I kinda lucked out and bought the ezlynk setuo with 5 way switch and unlock cable, plus the delete pipe all for $380 shipped. Everything I read also said HPP was smokey and didn't want that so I opted for PPEI which was $850.

So basically saved about $400 overall.

The biggest shocker to me after I hooked the EZlynk up while the truck was still stock is how awfully hot they run. This 211 was just going 30-40mph while it was 85* outside. Saw as high as 215-220 intermittently....:doh:

I went ahead and installed the 180 t-stat to get things in check.

Awfully hot? It's designed to run like that, why do you feel the need to change it? I bet your mpg drops.

Awfully hot? It's designed to run like that, why do you feel the need to change it? I bet your mpg drops.

Sure with emissions on. It's a 200 t-stat that doesn't even fully flow til 225.

The titan has a history of blueing bearings and cooking internals, evem snapping cranks. This is why I want to drop running temp. Anyways here in Texas having 105* days recently i don't mind things not struggling to cool.

Lastly the engine bay insanely hot and any heat reduction is a plus. So hot that if you touch the front fenders after a cruise you can't leave your hand on the fender.

On mpgs I avg 14mpg this past Saturday on a day run to San Antonio which was basically 500miles. Will do the same drive tomorrow so will be interesting to compare.

On mpgs I avg 14mpg this past Saturday on a day run to San Antonio which was basically 500miles. Will do the same drive tomorrow so will be interesting to compare.
What was your typical highway mph on this trip? Im making the same drive later today in my 19 and id like to see how it compares.

Man that's terrible mpg's! Hell my dirty smokey VP truck usually gets at least 18mpg! No wonder this engine option was killed with millage like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sure with emissions on. It's a 200 t-stat that doesn't even fully flow til 225.

The titan has a history of blueing bearings and cooking internals, evem snapping cranks. This is why I want to drop running temp. Anyways here in Texas having 105* days recently i don't mind things not struggling to cool.

Lastly the engine bay insanely hot and any heat reduction is a plus. So hot that if you touch the front fenders after a cruise you can't leave your hand on the fender.

I'm positive your fear of burning up bearings has nothing to do with them running 20° hotter than what you consider "safe"

I'm positive your fear of burning up bearings has nothing to do with them running 20° hotter than what you consider "safe"

Regardless, with the emissions gone it's pointless to run so hot.

Also the main issue with the bearings in my opinion is the recommendation to run 10w30 which is ridiculous. The high operating temps isn't doing any favors to the oil.

Last edited:
That is chit MPGs. I average 21.5 with my 2015 5.3 crew cab 4wd GMC going 70mph. Heck my average for the weekly work drive is 16+.

I may get 16, if I drive really easy. Its a very heavy truck. Mine was 8700 lbs empty on the scales.

I see the new 1/2 ton chevy with the inline 6 diesel is supposed to get 31 mpg hwy!

That is chit MPGs. I average 21.5 with my 2015 5.3 crew cab 4wd GMC going 70mph. Heck my average for the weekly work drive is 16+.

No doubt about it.

I may get 16, if I drive really easy. Its a very heavy truck. Mine was 8700 lbs empty on the scales.

I see the new 1/2 ton chevy with the inline 6 diesel is supposed to get 31 mpg hwy!

That's one thing that's most overlooked on this thing. They're built so damn well, but stupid heavy.

Update?

Regardless, with the emissions gone it's pointless to run so hot.

Also the main issue with the bearings in my opinion is the recommendation to run 10w30 which is ridiculous. The high operating temps isn't doing any favors to the oil.

Blackmega how is day to day life w/ the low temp thermostat? What temps are you averaging now? Have you towed anything above 5K? You for sure made me start to think about some things... however I am torn as I agree w/ JWhite that the truck is designed to run hotter, but your thoughts on post delete make sense as well. Give us a rundown & update when you can, thanks!

Blackmega how is day to day life w/ the low temp thermostat? What temps are you averaging now? Have you towed anything above 5K? You for sure made me start to think about some things... however I am torn as I agree w/ JWhite that the truck is designed to run hotter, but your thoughts on post delete make sense as well. Give us a rundown & update when you can, thanks!

I'm curious as well. I hear a lot of regrets from people that thought they needed lower coolant temps. for various reasons and totally forgot about the ecm not necessarily liking those temps.

So I actually swapped the 200 oem stat back in for a 500mile trip from Houston to San Antonio and back yesterday and wanted to compare fuel economy being deleted. Driving the same style and speeds of 75-85 I averaged 17.2mpg vs the stock 14.1mpg as posted before. That was all on tune 5(140hp) from PPEI.

I watched constant temps at 80mph around 215.

I was curious on what kind of temps the oil roughly had and using a temp gun the external temp of the deepest part of the pan was 213 while at idle and the coolant on the display said 205. Now the actual internal oil temp itself wasn't displayed obviously, but I'd venture to say it was around 230-240 easily.

Went ahead and put the low temp t-stat in and it now idles cooler, but also cools back down faster even after a heavier throttle.

This was after running around today for about 30mins in mixed driving, highway, and could heavy accelerations.

I'm much happier with the cooler operation.

Screenshot-20190815-133233-Auto-Agent.jpg

I'm curious as well. I hear a lot of regrets from people that thought they needed lower coolant temps. for various reasons and totally forgot about the ecm not necessarily liking those temps.

Truck doesn't miss a beat and is running well.

Back