How Hot, Is Too Hot. While sledpulling.

98xtremcummins

Hi. I have 02 Cummins that I sledpull and it hits about 1666degrees going down the track. Is this goig to hurt the engine?:charger: It's also my daily driver.

I'd worry more about breaking the drivetrain than the motor at 1666*. But I am optimistic about the Cummins and pessimistic about the Dodge drivetrain.

i'm surprised that no one has told you just to ignore the gauge yet. Ignore the gauge. it won't be hot enough for long enough to hurt anything. if your were pulling the sled for a mile, i'd start to worry then. $.02

Yeah, you'll be alright, I also saw over 2000* while pulling with no water and when my engine came apart it looked immaculate. It will take longer than a sled pull(not always though:poke:) to get the piston crown temps to a melting/damaging point. Just let 'er idle real good after the hook to keep the coolant flowing and oil circulating....:)

Joe

the only way i can even tell ya what my truck hits during a pull is because the redline has a recall for the max readings.

54psi boost
1650* on average
and 4100 rpms is usually what it reads

My sayying is EGT's are overrated!!! The only guage i look at is the boost guage when i leave the line..

My sayying is EGT's are overrated!!! The only guage i look at is the boost guage when i leave the line..

Ignore that one too and your clutch will thank you. WIth the fuel you have and a little B1...you will have NO issues lighting it so I would watch the tach more than the boost gauge. I use to watch my boost gauge and I slipped the clutch too much, now I just watch the tach, take it to 4k and bury it then let the clutch out slowly and steady so that my foot is off of it completely by 20' out.

How does the quote go?

"If you cant bury a pryometer you dont have enough fuel"

Or

"She runs good at 1800 degrees"

Back