Dt466 1995 f350

Cool build whats your intended purpose I only ask because a pick up with a 10spd doesn't seem all that fun to drive unless you just love to shift gears.

I'm actually reconsidering an Allison automatic. I think I may have found a pretty sweet deal on an MD3060, I'm going to try to go pick it up after Christmas. You a correct, 10 gears is over kill in a pickup. I would probably not have much use for any gear below 4th unless towing heavy from a stop on a steep grade. The reason I was planning to go that route was purely for simplicity, it would drop right in with off the shelf parts available anywhere. I do not want to fool around with adapting a light duty transmission, and the gear spacing is pretty nice on the 10 speed. I know there are medium duty 6 speeds too, those are not ruled out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 speed would be very nice. Probably overkill with the power of the 466, but heck while you are building it, might as well.

Tobin

I ran a RTO6610 for a few years in my 75 F350 behind my Perkins.I liked it but no one else would drive it home from pulls if I got tired.so I put a Allison out of a 06 duramax.I love it.Works great.
Dale

I really wanted to keep everything non-electronic, but it seems I'll have to give somewhere if I want an overdrive automatic. I'm going to think about the transmission options a little longer, and focus on the suspension. I don't want to make a quick decision and regret it. Plus, it will be a morale booster to get it rolling, It's been on stands far too long now.

I happened onto a deal on an Allison MT653, rebuilt still strapped to a pallet, I picked it up Saturday. Today I made a few phone calls and found the correct flywheel, flex plate, output yoke, and a couple really knowledgeable guys to explain a few things and find part numbers.

Slow and steady, I can only go as fast as budget allows. Turns out the flex plate is discontinued by international...the parts hunt resumes. At least I have a good part number.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
My plan now is to get the transmission and transfer case done. After that, I'll probably be back to working on smaller sub-projects, like the grill I need to design and build. Then when budget allows, move on to the axles. I want to over build the driveline as much as I can now...Later on I'll have some room for more power!

A late model Ford Dana 60 up front, and probably a spicer N175 rear. I'm going to run 3.54 gears, so pretty much anything bigger than the D60 front is out.

This is an awesome build? Great work and ingenuity with the frame rails and the whole front end? How far back did you go with the new frame rails? Looks like to the back of the cab.

What are you doing about mounting the front axle, steering components, springs, shocks and that sort of thing?

b1dd8062a95dba7a3dc9f613f3a258af.jpg

As soon as I track down a flexplate, it's ready to go in. I've called several Navistar parts departments, and more than a few aftermarket parts companies. Everybody has the same answer, "It's a good part number, but it's just not available anywhere. This is a nation wide system." I figure there has to be one sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere, possibly overlooked with an old superseded part number. I have a lead on a used one, we'll find out tomorrow.

2d909fc555d3f1b0fcfe603bf3354709.jpg
1e8e38cd74506ce8d07312d35ca6d000.jpg
bb95258e340a17d16f6b34350963bc53.jpg

I know, that's a butt load of bolts! ? Four just didn't look right, and the spacing was right on for eight...I like to over build.
Also, I finally got my flexplate from the machine shop. Transmission and transfer case might finally make it under the truck this weekend.

Very nice work! I'd like to find an 05 up D60 to put in my 95 2wd dually. They aren't as easy to find around here any more. Only because I want one. Haha

Thanks!
Check car-part.com, there are more than a few around here. I only have the D60 housing so far, trying to figure out if it's more cost effective to put the guts in this one, or find a complete used one. Leaning toward keeping this one, that way I know everything is brand new and what I want. I'll probably put an air locker in the front, just because now would be the time to do it.

Can anyone tell me which port is which, on a 2010 F550 ZF steering box? I'm guessing the larger is the pressure? Thanks?

Back