Dt466 1995 f350

Yes! Sway bar will only hurt you...not help. The largest res that is still practical gives you the most flexibility to go from "soft" to "stiff" ride characteristics. Air bags DO NOT have linear spring rate...the ramp up crazy fast...especially when the bag is small.

A light bulb just went off in my head....... I just remembered that the Kelderman kit I put on an 02 Dodge years ago had these tanks. 1 for each air bag. I never put much thought into it until just now. :doh:

I might have to find room on my 40 Ford for these too. I'm putting air bags all the way around on it.

Then I should not put sway bars on this thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you need some sort of sway bar...otherwise, with the air ride when you go around a curve you'll feel like it's going to flip....but, by the way they are designed and attached, the sway bar will "affect" the ride...IE, it transfers the upwards bump of one side to the other side of the axle to an extent.

I wouldn't run without a sway bar unless it's purely a slower speed off-roader....IMHO
Chris

I never run sway bars...max one more inch of lean! WAY BETTER ride!

If each airbag is a separate system then it wont do what you said.

Maybe my reservoirs are too big on my truck then...rides great, but sways pretty good unloaded in corners.

Chris

are both bags sharing the same supply line? so air can be pushed from one bag to the other?

Leaf springs with bags...or just bags?

Very interesting...And less work for me!
It makes sense, as the body rolls, it squishes the outer bag and the leveling valve compensates and adds pressure. Then we get into what Chris was saying about the size of the reservoir, seems there is a somewhat of a sweet spot in sizing.

are both bags sharing the same supply line? so air can be pushed from one bag to the other?

Leaf springs with bags...or just bags?

Well, kind of a hybrid system with bags under the leaves, and an air ride spring shackle setup like the cheaper Kelderman setup. I believe we hooked the bags under the springs to one line, so I'll have to investigate. I have done so many types of bags under most of our trucks I forget exactly what I did on that one. Probably what is going on, since I didn't do all that work myself...guys in the shop helped.

Very interesting...And less work for me!
It makes sense, as the body rolls, it squishes the outer bag and the leveling valve compensates and adds pressure. Then we get into what Chris was saying about the size of the reservoir, seems there is a somewhat of a sweet spot in sizing.

Usually a leveling valve has to see the load for a few seconds before it adds pressure...otherwise every bump you hit would increase and decrease the pressure in the bag.

Chris

My plan for the rear suspension...and I already started, so I hope I'm not screwing it up too bad.
I got a set of +6" superduty springs, and removed all but the two longest leaves, to locate the axle. I'm building a set of traction bars/torque rods to prevent axle wrap. Then big air bags between the axle and frame mounted as far outboard as possible, to carry the weight.

Jesse...great idea. In order to come up with the right traction bar length...you will need to see how far backwards the axle moves at full compression and how far forward it moves at full droop. I will tell you what to do then. (that is for a simple fixed length double rod end...single bar type...compression strut)

That is my plan, simple fixed length double rod end bars. I'll try to find a way to measure the axle movement once I get it bolted up, and confer.
I understand the idea of matching the radius/arc of the bar, the the forward/back movement of the axle, to limit binding. Is there some sort of formula? I used a piece of rope and my eye, I came up with 60" Seems an arc will never perfectly match the angled linear movement of the axle
I have not committed to anything, so I can still change it if needed.
I got a set of leaf spring hangers to use as the forward attachment point, .25 wall x 2" dom tube, poly bushing rod ends, and I'm going to incorporate the axle side mont into the lower u-bolt plate

I added the reservoirs to my rear air bags this weekend and it made a big difference. I forgot to put a ball valve on them but will do that later.

Sorry I didn't get back to any one....worked 36 hours in the last 3 days. Sounds like people are on the right track now.

Ball Valve 100% open will be just like it is with out. Ball Valve Closed will be just like it was before. Opening partially will move the dampening/firmness from still to soft. Its like an infinitely adjustable shock...both compression and rebound.

Attachments

• 72reservoir.jpg
    72reservoir.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 0
Back