96mm vs 102mm s400 turbine

Personally I'm not a big fan of the HX60, but you cannot deny they are hard to beat in the drive pressure vs boost category. Be aware that even though it had the lowest drive, it did not make the most power.

What outperforms it if I may ask?

In this particular instance, the GT50 in a smaller housing than shown. Generally speaking the GT50, S400, and HX60 are all close in power production in most cases.

Kinda makes you wonder why some people spend $5k on an HX60 when $2500-$3000 on a S400 does close to the same job :poke:

Kinda makes you wonder why some people spend $5k on an HX60 when $2500-$3000 on a S400 does close to the same job :poke:

Why would you spend that on a Hx60?

Go buy a box HX60 for $11-1300 and have a compressor wheel put in it of your choice.

Why would you spend that on a Hx60?

Go buy a box HX60 for $11-1300 and have a compressor wheel put in it of your choice.
Im talking about in the pulling world. Call around for a price on a 3.0 smooth inlet charger and let me know what you come up with!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Im talking about in the pulling world. Call around for a price on a 3.0 smooth inlet charger and let me know what you come up with!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That’s cause pullers are dumb when it comes to latest and greatest, when all that really changes is the cover and compressor wheel.

That’s cause pullers are dumb when it comes to latest and greatest, when all that really changes is the cover and compressor wheel.

I've never been the guy who absolutely has to have the latest and greatest, but I can see situations where people want the latest and greatest. If you're in a super competitive league with horsepower tracks, you're going to want every last single HP you can get. I agree, the pullers buying 3 different chargers every spring, dynoing them, then selling 2 of them is probably a silly idea.

A lot of it really does seem like a money grab, For example, back in the 2.6 class the HX60 was the hot ticket, then next was the GT40 or something when we went to 3.0 smooth. I remember asking turbo builders "why can't I just put a 3.0 cover on my HX60?" Well the drive pressuere, turbine, blah blah blah, not suited for the 3.0 aplication. So everyone bought a new turbo and sold the 2.6 chargers for pennies or turned them into paperweights. Fast forward a couple years here we are running the HX60's, GT55's, even S400's that we were running back then, but everyone had to buy new ones.

But us pullers keep falling for it so what the hell? Exploit it while the business is there!

Not entirely true, like most turbo shops they probably took the the OEM tag off and rivet a “Kustom” one on to justify the price.

Was boost always same, or fueling, or how the comparison was done ? Similar compressor wheel or only same inducer size ?

Boost comparison below, all compressors were similar design using the same inducer size, the GT50 and HX60 were the same design. Testing is done in a climate controlled surrounding on a negative sweep, no changes in fuel setting or timing advance, we look at both observed and corrected data and power between the three was within 3% overall.

BPC.jpg

Last edited:
Boost comparison below, all compressors were similar design using the same inducer size, the GT50 and HX60 were the same design. Testing is done in a climate controlled surrounding on a negative sweep, no changes in fuel setting or timing advance, we look at both observed and corrected data and power between the three was within 3% overall.

View attachment 73907
boost/emp ratio between GT50 and HX60 is about the same, slightly better for GT50. At 4200 rpm. Did Holset make more power at lower rpm ?

boost/emp ratio between GT50 and HX60 is about the same, slightly better for GT50. At 4200 rpm. Did Holset make more power at lower rpm ?

No. And in this particular instance I will not be surprised if in the end the S400 isn't the best option.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the HX60, but you cannot deny they are hard to beat in the drive pressure vs boost category. Be aware that even though it had the lowest drive, it did not make the most power.

Why am I not surprised?

No. And in this particular instance I will not be surprised if in the end the S400 isn't the best option.

Is that some limited turbo class pulling engine ? Pressures are not very high and boost/emp ratio quite bad.

Just heard a rumor that FI is coming out with a turbine that fits the 88/96 dimensions but is way lighter and flows more.

Back