96mm vs 102mm s400 turbine

56cummins

Forced Induction and VS Racing offer the gt50 turbine s400. Has anybody done a back to back test in a compound setup?

How do the thrust bearings compare between a gt50 vs s400? Would one be better off to get a gt5018 or s488/102?

I've heard they use a china turbine wheel from a couple people that know. It caught my attention also, I'm limited by my 96 turbine.
Next move would be go to a gt55, and big money.
Anyway was warned about it on a diesel app. I'm not knocking the F1 company at all.
But have any of the 102 turbines been ran on a diesel?

We have ran 4 different gt50 based Precision turbos without one problem. From 1160 to 15xx fwhp. I have been told by a reliable source that precision uses a chinese gt50 tw. I think it's an awesome middle ground wheel. We ran and tested it in the 1.08 and 1.39 AR housing.
How it performs stuffed into an s400 ex housing I dont know.....

We have ran 4 different gt50 based Precision turbos without one problem. From 1160 to 15xx fwhp. I have been told by a reliable source that precision uses a chinese gt50 tw. I think it's an awesome middle ground wheel. We ran and tested it in the 1.08 and 1.39 AR housing.
How it performs stuffed into an s400 ex housing I dont know.....

What compressor wheel are y'all running?

What compressor wheel are y'all running?
All singles btw. Two clipped versions, 2.6 mwe, and a 3.0 smooth. Also ran a 76mm version for 3.0 smooth. Then ran a PT8891 that engine dynod over 1500 on one pass. Later dialed that tune in via data logging on the track, so I'm sure it was more later on.
Like I stated, the gt50 platform that precision uses treated us extremely well. I know the bigger names in pulling used it for a short time too, but have moved up to the 55 line.
In my opinion, but admittedly little experience with compounds, the gt50 has to be a nice upgrade over the 96bw stuff without going crazy big(gt55 or hx82). So I'd be very tempted to try one of the 400s they are putting the similar tw in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Genuine borg 96 is tried and true, whatever fi is stuffing into a borg cartridge “102” is most certainly and aftermarket turbine wheel. Not bashing at all I personally use Jose’s products, just fyi

There's alot of 6 and 7sec 1/4 cars running his stuff. It's difficult to say, seems alot of guys running his GTR builds and of course the ETR.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Forcedinductions/posts/

https://m.facebook.com/jose.zayas.50?pn_ref=story

There's alot of 6 and 7sec 1/4 cars running his stuff. It's difficult to say, seems alot of guys running his GTR builds and of course the ETR.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Forcedinductions/posts/

https://m.facebook.com/jose.zayas.50?pn_ref=story

I have never seen nut hugging on the level you are at.

Wipe your chin. :hehe:

I have never seen nut hugging on the level you are at.

Wipe your chin. :hehe:

Really?!

This coming from the guy who nicknamed his injector builder....:doh:LOL:clap: Wasn't it something like "daddy of fuel" or "fill me up daddy".... Can't quit remember.:thankyou2:

Just giving credit where it is due....

Proof otherwise is welcomed of course.

Fan bois didn't produce in the other thread, I highly doubt they will in this one.

Back to topic.

Last edited:
Forced Induction and VS Racing offer the gt50 turbine s400. Has anybody done a back to back test in a compound setup?

How do the thrust bearings compare between a gt50 vs s400? Would one be better off to get a gt5018 or s488/102?
Garrett thrust bearing is crap.

As long as the turbine creates enough shaft power to run the compressor the affect the design difference has on power is minimal. Certain turbine designs will run much more compressor for their given size compared to others, however this is typically only important in cases where there is a turbine size limit.

Below you can see a graph comparing drive pressure for several turbine wheel/housing combinations, these are only a few examples from that test which included over 15 combinations in total. Across the board with the same compressor inducer size the overall power differential between any two turbine configurations was less than 4% in total.

DPC.jpg

I think FI offers their gen 2 turbine wheels in different sizes now. Looked pretty promising from feedbacks and dynos i have seen posted.

As long as the turbine creates enough shaft power to run the compressor the affect the design difference has on power is minimal. Certain turbine designs will run much more compressor for their given size compared to others, however this is typically only important in cases where there is a turbine size limit.

Below you can see a graph comparing drive pressure for several turbine wheel/housing combinations, these are only a few examples from that test which included over 15 combinations in total. Across the board with the same compressor inducer size the overall power differential between any two turbine configurations was less than 4% in total.

View attachment 73901

Holy crap that HX60 is a rockstar huh?

View attachment 73901

97/92mm hx60, or one of the smaller ones?

Back