Replacing The ECM

I'm probably not understanding correctly but if it's the ECM that came with that truck and ran fine before the engine swap why would the VIN need to changed? Since it's still in the same truck?

I put it on there to see if it would act different but gave the same result so put the original back on. I don't wanna commit on it's the ECM. Well I'm hoping at least.

Since the truck had a 48re swap and the column to match when I swapped everything I swapped Columns too. So it changed the keys between trucks. Could this have messed with something? I've switched them back since though and just swapped the shifter linkage now. To get the keys with the right truck again.

Last edited:
it could have. you could have also lost the SKIM programming.

But... the ECM should still register the key in run with non-programmed SKIM. It would also give a code for invalid SKIM key.

do you have a scanner that can monitor PIDS? It seems like a communication issue, but the fact that a code reader was able to read codes kinda cancels that. Unless the code reader you're using says "no codes found" when it can't connect to the ECM?

I might know a guy at work that has a smarty I can give a try. Though I think he has a 5.9

I went out this morning a tried the key trick to see if anything would pop up and there was nothing. Doesn't come up with any codes. Just says done. Only thing that isn't hooked up is the air temp and MAF sensor. I tried logging while cranking in the PID section but it gave me error 0281.

Last edited:
Unplug the ECM from the harness and retry your attempts to pull codes, view pids, etc. If you have no change, your ECM is off line.

Have you checked the 40 AMP fuse labeled PCM MAIN in the TIPM/fuse box?

Yep checked all the fuses and even swapped the tipm with my other truck. But when I turned key it didn't do anything not even a click from the starter. But got the same error and clicking from my airdog selonoid.

In the mean time I went ahead and swapped the dashes out to rule out the engine bay harnesses not getting along with the dash harnesses. Since the OBDii between them are slightly different. One had a few more wires. Everything electrical is now the same as it was in my 08. From the dashes up at least. Still got the same results though. Might throw some new batteries in to rule that out but they both have 12v so think it may be a waste of money.

Back