Replacing The ECM

I'm an Electrical Engineer, just graduated this Dec. My interest is in embedded systems and right now im working for company which has a few. Worked on avionics for the AF. I know just enough to be dangerous.

That's a great field to be in right now with the whole IoT craze that is going on.

but you think dodge can? Its a cummins made part.

Either way I think it will have to be a bench flash. I just wish someone had the pinout and software they would share for a CM2100A. The problem is that programs like EFI live have handshaking checks that look to see if the ecm you are flashing matches the type of ecm in the meta data file you are trying to flash. Since my ecm is not responding it would need to be a low level application in C or assembler that would write the entire config bit for bit including the boot loader.

This is something that I would develop if I had the specifics on the ecm itself but I am unsure where to get this information.
You had me at C compiler. This is the kind of thread we need more of

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

You had me at C compiler. This is the kind of thread we need more of

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Agreed mostly figuring out the binary code to delete 6.7s *bdh*... But we shouldn't go there. I have been focusing lots of my time there and its going slow. Ill get it one day!!:nail:

Figuring out the HEX values for the cax file should be easy if we can find the documentation on the ECM software. I am working on a few avenues to get this information but it seems to be 'fairly' protected. I know with big dollars you can buy it.

When I do find them I will share them with you.

Last edited:
Figuring out the HEX values for the cax file should be easy if we can find the documentation on the ECM software. I am working on a few avenues to get this information but it seems to be 'fairly' protected. I know with big dollars you can buy it.

When I do find them I will share them with you.

Correct but you have to find the hex values which is in the binary somewhere. Once you get a hold of a binary code for the whole ecm you have to find them which will be the hardest part. Ive been looking into avenues for finding the binary and that is not cheap, plus getting an ecm to test for all the years from 2009-2016.

That's a great field to be in right now with the whole IoT craze that is going on.

Ya I'm not too crazy about hooking my toaster to the internet so it can send tweets or whatever, but your right it sure is popular now.

So for the ECM bricking situation...
The ECM dumps its memory to EFILive when read. EFILive has done the work to find the sections of this binary which hold valuable information such as timing, PW, etc. So you edit the binary with EFILive and change the original data, EFILive generates a new checksum. The checksum is a way to prevent memory corruption, its generated and compared between the two devices. Data is thrown away if there is a mismatch. I think EFILive does a checksum with its built in definitions (.calz) which are your green check marks. I'm not entirely sure if the actual uploading to the truck has one as well but I would think it does. If it does you should be safe from garbage getting into the data stream while uploading. It should just fail the flash. If not then its a little more dangerous. Can protocol does have a CRC for each frame for error checking, which makes it very reliable. Basically I think that its unlikely opening the door did anything or the uploading process. EFILive should have caught a corrupt file and also the other guys got it to flash fine.

Just curious but how many times do you think this ECM has been flashed during its life? I do know the EEPROM and other memory has a finite life and can be destroyed by writing to many times. For example the ATMEGA328P's EEPROM has 100,000 write/erases. Since you have to erase before you write you actually have 50,000 flashes. If you wrote to memory every 5 seconds it would last about 2.9 days. IDK the specs for the memory in these things but I doubt they care about E/W numbers. I'm pretty sure you prly didnt upload to it that many times tho. Also electronics die randomly. It is possible that the ECM was just a little flaky.

I dont upload near that amount, I probably have flashed it 20 times MAX in the 117k I have on it.

So I just installed the ECM from the junk yard.

I got the tune from file tune depot.
First time I flashed (that tune nothing edited except vin in the calibration box) it failed with checksum error
Tried it again and it worked.

The truck starts but runs for about 5 seconds and then shuts off.
Edge says code P0513 invalid skim key.

Then I go into ECM Options --> Parameters and disable B9905
Now the truck starts but these lights are on
1. Air bag light
2. Security light (red dot bottom right)
3. ABS Light

What is causing these lights?

I dont upload near that amount, I probably have flashed it 20 times MAX in the 117k I have on it.

So I just installed the ECM from the junk yard.

I got the tune from file tune depot.
First time I flashed (that tune nothing edited except vin in the calibration box) it failed with checksum error
Tried it again and it worked.

The truck starts but runs for about 5 seconds and then shuts off.
Edge says code P0513 invalid skim key.

Then I go into ECM Options --> Parameters and disable B9905
Now the truck starts but these lights are on
1. Air bag light
2. Security light (red dot bottom right)
3. ABS Light

What is causing these lights?

Oh damn ha,

P0513 thats usually what happens when your key fob dies. Also are you sure you have the vin correct? Sounds like you may have pissed off the other modules.

actually vin mismatch may cause all of that Im not sure I never done that, only heard about it.

How many places do you change the vin?
I basically open up the tune from tune file depot in version 7.5 and at the very main tab under "Calibration" in the first text box I paste my vin number in. Save the file and flash.

Where else does this need to be done?

The very first thing i did when I got this ecm was do a read and I saved the file. If that file is "ok to flash" should I use that one instead of the one i have been using from tune file depot?

Last edited:
Yeah you changed the vin correctly then....thats the only place
I dont know what would be best to do now. I would be leery of using the junk yard ecm file but someone else may know better

How many places do you change the vin?
I basically open up the tune from tune file depot in version 7.5 and at the very main tab under "Calibration" in the first text box I paste my vin number in. Save the file and flash.

Where else does this need to be done?

The very first thing i did when I got this ecm was do a read and I saved the file. If that file is "ok to flash" should I use that one instead of the one i have been using from tune file depot?

Just one spot for the vin, dont quote me but I believe the pcm talks to the ecm which is when you have to unlock the ecm. This might be your issue.

I believe you will need to have everything on the CAN BUS re-flashed with a dealer scan tool back to stock since you have a VIN mismatch. I tried several different ways but couldn't get mine to work after a VIN mismatch without using the dealer tool.

Tobin

You need to go into bi-directional at the top of the scan tool screen and change the VIN on the ECM there

changing the VIN in the tune does not change the VID block on the 6.7 ECM the way it does on the 5.9 ECM's

You'll be rolling then :)

Ever find the answer to this? I'm having the same problem. Error 0549 when I try to flash. Truck will crank but doesn't start. Airdog relay I'd clicking like crazy too.

I just put the truck back together from swapping engines. This is the original ECM for the original engine and didn't have a problem before. Ran, started fine. Got it together and went to flash the ECM to have a file on there for the updated fuel and turbo and ran into this. I have another ECM here from my other truck I'm going to put on and try. Anything I need to do first before I try to flash this one? Do I have to change VIN's somewhere or just plug and play? Thanks

I have a new license on the autocal since it was originally used on my other truck and I'm trying to tune my new one with it. Has a tune for the new trucks vin and license. Swapped the ecms and got the same result. I'll try to figure out the vin change. Don't know anyone with a V2. I'm lost with it.

At first I was thinking because the batteries sat for awhile but both have 12.17 volts and I'm jumping with another truck at the same time.

It's a 07.5 that I used a 08 harness on. That wouldn't be the problem would it?

Back