My new project : save the 99

It's time to update this thread.

At first the truck is still waiting the frame strengthening and front Dana60 is in use in my dump truck build. - currently not very motivative view

After lots of thinking and calculating how to extend my dump truck frame for crane (it will be located between cab and bed), I decided to cut this truck frame in half and use the rear part as extension for my dump truck original frame.

The home-made-megacab will be built to 1500 2wd frame, this was originally parts truck.
Later I can convert it to 4wd if there is need for it, I have all parts plus frame brackets.

Here is picture how it looks now,
attachment.php

Attachments

• gasser.JPG
    gasser.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
My idea to keep project cost as low as possible is just wet dream now :doh: , the more I think the more expencive it will be.

With this truck I can do now all my wild dreams

Together with home-made-mega-cab swap ,similar like on the picture
IMAG0084.jpg

might be good idea to replace the dash with 3rg Gen (for me it will free of charge, because I have it in my CR parts truck)

Visually the Sport front end and OEM style fender flares the Duraflex SRT-10 hood will look super :woohoo:

Maybe also the short bed together with SnugTop bed cover similar like on the picture (If I only can find and afford it)
attachment.php

..... and the sunroof :lolly:

The paint/color sheme is also figured : it will be 2 tone, the lower part will remain silver and the grill/hood and doors from window level and up will be black.

Same color I want to do

Oh really?!

Maybe it's good to do something different, like build 4bt for it

attachment.php

attachment.php

Factory 130 hp and P-pump, should be good for fuel economy.

Also think options about full time transfer case PN242 or NP249, I think it will survive , (if I can get the next Ram 1500 frame with axles with reasonable price ) to keep the wight as low as possible.

update:

Friday I brought the frame and cab shell.(roller for easy moving)
'96 Ram 1500 4x4 extended cab short bed

The axles were too expencive for me and later I have to return them to seller, I will use the 99 original Dana 60 and Dana70

Now I have two 1500 series donor trucks, one 2wd extended cab long bed and second 4wd extended cab short bed.

Because I need 4wd extended cab long bed, I have to cut two frames in half and use the front section from 4wd and rear section from 2wd frame.
My friend think I am still kid who like play with Legos .....LOL

Nothing will be wasted, the original bent 99 2500 frame some sections will be also reused

Fuuuk, yesterday I start disassemblying the 1500 series trucks, to start frame conversion from 2wd to 4wd and I found out the 2500 4wd and 1500
4wd frames are identical :doh:, the only difference is rear leaf spring hangers, no weight lost

Now I have 2 expencive 1500 frames one 2wd and second 4wd and no use for it , I just have to scrap it :soap:

Now the 99 original bent frame will be stranghened, besically after wasting money backt to beginning

Finallly we had chance to start the frame job.

attachment.php

and 10 hours later

attachment.php

The frame was not just bent to one side, but it was more like S -shape, only the frame below the bed was straight.

The next big job will be frame sandblasting and zinc coating, but before it I have to swap the 1500 rear leafs with hangers

Edit: this is my friend garage , with frame jig and paint booth

Attachments

• 99 frame.jpg
    99 frame.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 99 frame done.jpg
    99 frame done.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
I am too slow or I have too many project and lack of time and money..:doh:

Finally I had time to do something to push it forward.

I lift the bed back to frame and test fit the front fenders.

The frame is sitting in the front bumpstops (no springs) and I like how it looks , just rear end is too high.

attachment.php

Attachments

• t99 assembly.JPG
    t99 assembly.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
And whees and tires are finally here and together

Wheels are American Outlaw 20X9 and tires are Kumho 295/45-20 with speed index 175 mph for One mile challange.....:lolly:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
Because my other Ram is black and lifted , I think this must be lowered and painted black too.
It will be nice comparison too see two similar trucks side by side in front of my home, one lifted second lowered:evil

Because my other Ram is black and lifted , I think this must be lowered and painted black too.
It will be nice comparison too see two similar trucks side by side in front of my home, one lifted second lowered:evil

I'll have the same, except different colors. My 24v is slightly lifted and my new 12v will be lowered and short bed soon.

Actually I do not knew why I need 2 o 3 trucks, because I very randomly use my '98 12V, but maybe I just like the build process......

Same deal with my lawnmowers/garden tractors, I have 4 of them...:pop:

Few weeks ago I found one 1998 Ram 1500 parts truck with very good interior (the body was badly corroded) , the only problem was : it was located 8 hours from me ...

I brought full interior: headliner,full dashboard with gauged,carpet, front and rear seats and I paid approx : $400 , You have to understand my side of the Earth the Ram is not very popular and most of the time is easyer to buy part from US and ship over here than pay the stupid amounts.

Here is the set:
attachment.php

and here is the reason, my truck interior

attachment.php

and after cleaning and parts replacement :
attachment.php

During the dash replacement I found few difference between 99 cab/dash and 98 dash:
the 98 dash VIN code is indifferent location and the dash is shorter. The 98 dash will fit to 99, but the windshield black area will cover partly the VIN number and there will be ugly area where dash do not reach and also in windshield area for VIN will be empty.
The only way make it look nice is repalce the windshield to 98 style.

Also because some idiot cut some under dash wires ,I had to replace it .
The 98 12V under dash harness is different then what was used in 99, the door connection sockets are different, also socket for fan and brake pedal switch ....... and maybe something else too..

When I am finished the truck will be authentic 98 12V :evil

Attachments

• sisu jupid.jpg
    sisu jupid.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • kabiin1.jpg
    kabiin1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • kabiin2.jpg
    kabiin2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday I got the spare Quad cab shell with doors for future Mega cab project, it have been Florida truck, no rust at all, but the all doors have all kind of dents

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
Back