Truckers, lets see your rigs!

We refer to that as a bark. Surge is typically when the turbine and compressor wheels are too close in size in my experience on smaller engines.

I can spin that 478 past 50 pounds pretty effortlessly so I have a hard time believing it's too big. And I'm not talking low speed surge I'm talking about when you're pulling it hard and you let off the foot feed too fast and you get a pop/bark sound whatever you want to call it.

Only way to stop that is to put on a bigger turbine housing, or don't let off the throttle so fast. Do something to keep from driving it so hard.

Chris

Only way to stop that is to put on a bigger turbine housing, or don't let off the throttle so fast. Do something to keep from driving it so hard.

Chris

I do try to avoid it but it can be challenging when trying to downshift while pulling a grade. I generally try to avoid spinning it up that hard too. It was just in response to the guy saying the compressor is too big.

I do try to avoid it but it can be challenging when trying to downshift while pulling a grade. I generally try to avoid spinning it up that hard too. It was just in response to the guy saying the compressor is too big.

As you already know Leiffi is an idiot, take what he says and do the opposite. Your driving it too hard with the 1.32. Only other options are the 1.45 and the 1.58. The 80mm comes with the 1.58 but you will lose some jake effectiveness but will help it live. For about the same price as the S480 you could bolt used Acert compounds on and have zero smoke and a strong jake.

What Leiffi doesn’t understand is it isn’t the compressor thats too large, it’s the turbine and housing is too small to flow what the compressor will move. Shrinking the compressor is a band-aid over the real issue.

I can’t believe you have much smoke with a stock file and 57’s. I wouldn’t go larger than an 80mm borg because your still getting the same size turbine.

Leiffi no one is going to take advice from someone that can’t even spell Cat and thinks 700hp is amazing out of a custom euro tuned POS Volvo. I can flash a stock C15 and make 700hp by accident and never touch a wrench.

Yea you can flash your fancy electronic motor to 700... but what can you flash my Cmodel to?

Leiffi is essentially my idol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do the sdp's use the same turbos as the earlier acerts? Found a good deal on a low mileage take off from someone that went single. Pretty much everything from the right side of the block sitting on a pallet. But I'm not familiar with the sdp's at all.

Avoid SDP compounds. They are ball bearing. They are a hair different on their flanges and they cost a few more pesos to replace....like several thousand more.

Avoid SDP compounds. They are ball bearing. They are a hair different on their flanges and they cost a few more pesos to replace....like several thousand more.

Well the guy only wants $250 for the entire pallet of parts, are they still that bad?

Well the guy only wants $250 for the entire pallet of parts, are they still that bad?
if they are good now they should last until you decide what you want to end up with. Shouldn’t be too difficult to find a cartridge if one dies, plenty of DF’s that have went single trying to fix a problem that didn’t exist.

Yea you can flash your fancy electronic motor to 700... but what can you flash my Cmodel to?

You drive a Pete with a C model and pull a reefer, your basically Leiffi with a social security number.

Here’s your C model flash...

909824c11cad4628c8064556d3ce3f5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do the SDP’s for that kind of money.
The S480 with a 1.45 would work pretty well after it lights, but you’re going to struggle even more than you currently do with smoke on the shifts if you go to the 480.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the bark when you downshift is what is causing the shaft play that you have. The shaft play is an indication that the thrust bearing is starting to die.

First time for everything.
My CAT 3/4 wouldn't touch two of the mains on 130 and the 150psi, then we backed in a service truck with 170psi on a 1" gun, no dice. Got out the 17:1 planetary and put somewhere around (I'm guessing) 75lbs of input torque on it. I wish I had used my torque wrench to know exactly how much was on it.
1c849cdf69c2caa194ce66e679aa88f5.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

First time for everything.
My CAT 3/4 wouldn't touch two of the mains on 130 and the 150psi, then we backed in a service truck with 170psi on a 1" gun, no dice. Got out the 17:1 planetary and put somewhere around (I'm guessing) 75lbs of input torque on it. I wish I had used my torque wrench to know exactly how much was on it.
1c849cdf69c2caa194ce66e679aa88f5.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Is that 17:1 gear ratio or mechanical advantage :poke:

Should probably buy some new bolts! Surprised they held that much tq.

Alright, another truck question.
Looking at an 03 W900L with an 8 bag under it. Not sure which one yet. If I buy the truck it needs (at least) the front end lowered. Pull the blocks out of the front, probably go to the short shackles, and see what its like at that point.
Question is, how far can the front come down before I need to worry about drive line angle?
When I lowered my Western Star I went down 3” in the front and didn’t have any issues. That was with the AirLiner rear suspension.
I know some guys are going to think this is nuts, but I’m 6’3” and the front of the hood is as high as head. That’s just not acceptable......

Alright, another truck question.
Looking at an 03 W900L with an 8 bag under it. Not sure which one yet. If I buy the truck it needs (at least) the front end lowered. Pull the blocks out of the front, probably go to the short shackles, and see what its like at that point.
Question is, how far can the front come down before I need to worry about drive line angle?
When I lowered my Western Star I went down 3” in the front and didn’t have any issues. That was with the AirLiner rear suspension.
I know some guys are going to think this is nuts, but I’m 6’3” and the front of the hood is as high as head. That’s just not acceptable......

How long is the truck? Short it’s going to look stupid, longer and it won’t look like your driving a 1985 Monte Carlo with a mullet.

Could put a car hauler front axle under it too. I don't know too much about the kw 8 bag, I've driven two but never payed much attention. Can you move the mounts up like the early Pete low air? If you can just lower the back equalish to the front with a taller 5th wheel and set up an over inflate valve to get in and out of parking lots where your tanks will hit.

Could put a car hauler front axle under it too. I don't know too much about the kw 8 bag, I've driven two but never payed much attention. Can you move the mounts up like the early Pete low air? If you can just lower the back equalish to the front with a taller 5th wheel and set up an over inflate valve to get in and out of parking lots where your tanks will hit.

It could already have it. A lot of KW’s have 5” drop axles and have blocks and long shackles to raise it back up. Lots of T660’s do this and I’m not sure why. Mine has the 5” drop which is 3” wider. Plus the disk brake hubs I added are another 1” wider so I can almost turn and check my own tail lights.

I bet at 318” he’s not going to have any issues with the rear. I had ordered a Horst kit with the AG springs for my steering but after waiting for at least 3+ months I said screw it. Apparently making a few brackets is too difficult for house of air. Could chew them out with a hand file in that length of time.

Back