One thing led to another. Build thread.

Lots of sexy fap/fab pictures.

I couldn't imagine dismantling a functional truck for this when there are eleventy-billion of them in junk yards already gutted and ready for this.

Lots of sexy fap/fab pictures.

I couldn't imagine dismantling a functional truck for this when there are eleventy-billion of them in junk yards already gutted and ready for this.

remember the "one thing led to another" title of the thread?

And there are exactly none of these in junk yards anywhere around these parts.

The pistons showed up. Nothing too special here. I got some good advice from a reputable member on what to do with the ring package, so I'm on my way!

DB5C355A-2686-4911-A31A-DA7BFB7595C0_zpsq1ias2pn.jpg

I initially wanted a ratchet shifter, but after watching milliken's videos online driving around with ppp's gate shifter, I had to get one. This shifter is manually or co2 actuated.

C679523C-0536-469D-8A52-FD800BDA3478_zpssbpmdnev.jpg

I've talked to Dow Bros about mounting the shifter somewhat similar to this, possibly with a different base.

175D71E7-AF6C-43F9-BCC1-7238D36F2A0E_zps636stcqp.jpg

My father in law has brand new safety gear that he's going to let me use until I get my own set. YEAH! I'm pumped on this stuff!

D030BA85-2EE9-40D9-8E56-15EE05DD290D_zpstnhrnfct.jpg

Cory trimmed up the transmission crossmember mount to accept the new tubular crossmember.

B37BFA82-2314-47D6-A997-9BD93922CD15_zpsota9wabb.jpg

Main hoop is in place

AE3C511C-270B-459B-98F7-7ED9BE33A2B5_zpsu4l6hye7.jpg

Dow brothers did a great job following the lines of the truck with the forward bars.

20680EF9-9228-4F51-A93F-7CE6E5261A8D_zpstanjgfsw.jpg

6C50EADB-7343-444C-AA87-8EA9C82A8A20_zps2opnmpfw.jpg

The main hoop is tied into the chassis here. I really like the way this turned out.

0CAB88DC-84AA-435A-9C17-E1C1167ED985_zpsk8lkofko.jpg

I really like the way they tied the cage into the chassis. Looks good and should work well. I would add a horizontal tube as a gusset or plate gussets to make sure it wont bend or push away from the frame if it ever goes shinny side down...

What diameter and thickness tube are you using? Is it chromoly or DOM steel, I'm sure it is not EW with your emphasis on safety.

Great that you father in law will loan you the gear. I'd suggest a Hybrid neck restraint rather than the neck roll, that's what I use. http://simpsonraceproducts.com/simpson/hybrid-sport/ It doesn't rely on the belts solely like a Hans device and the sport version is affordable. Impact has a couple HNRs similar to a Hans at the same price as the Hybrid Sport as well.

Also, you can find good deals in the clearance sections of Simpson and Impact racing. Another couple good sources for safety gear at good prices are PCI Race Radios http://www.pciraceradios.com and UPR Racing Supply http://www.upr.com. I hope that helps you to get your own gear without breaking the bank.

I really like the way they tied the cage into the chassis. Looks good and should work well. I would add a horizontal tube as a gusset or plate gussets to make sure it wont bend or push away from the frame if it ever goes shinny side down...

What diameter and thickness tube are you using? Is it chromoly or DOM steel, I'm sure it is not EW with your emphasis on safety.

Great that you father in law will loan you the gear. I'd suggest a Hybrid neck restraint rather than the neck roll, that's what I use. http://simpsonraceproducts.com/simpson/hybrid-sport/ It doesn't rely on the belts solely like a Hans device and the sport version is affordable. Impact has a couple HNRs similar to a Hans at the same price as the Hybrid Sport as well.

Also, you can find good deals in the clearance sections of Simpson and Impact racing. Another couple good sources for safety gear at good prices are PCI Race Radios http://www.pciraceradios.com and UPR Racing Supply http://www.upr.com. I hope that helps you to get your own gear without breaking the bank.

I bought my father in law the gear for his birthday, so i did a little research at that time. I'll take note of the head restraints you mentioned. I've read what you have to say about cages in other threads, and understand that you might not consider what i have to be "safe". It's 1-5/8 083 4130N. It'll be a funny car style cage or driver's cage. I'm using my best judgment above and beyond the rules to come up with what i feel is safe.

You'll love that shifter. I have the same one in my truck.

Out of curiosity what is the part number on that piston?

I bought my father in law the gear for his birthday, so i did a little research at that time. I'll take note of the head restraints you mentioned. I've read what you have to say about cages in other threads, and understand that you might not consider what i have to be "safe". It's 1-5/8 083 4130N. It'll be a funny car style cage or driver's cage. I'm using my best judgment above and beyond the rules to come up with what i feel is safe.

It's a little on the small size for my taste, but with the chromoly and the funny car driver containment style it should be safe. AND hopefully you'll never need to use it to its limit!!!!!

I would look seriously at the gussets or additional tubes to brace the chassis mounts though. It would only add a little weight, but it would strengthen that joint a ton and prevent the cage from pushing past the chassis in the event of a turtle...

As for the neck restraint, I purchased one to protect both myself and my family while I navigated in the Baja 1000 for 2012. It wasn't a safety requirement, but I felt it was needed to help prevent possible death from a bad wreck. It was comfortable to wear during the time I was in the race truck. Since the Hybrid uses belts around the torso it offers protection even if the shoulder harness is loose or slips off the lip of the HNR as could happen in an angular crash. At the speeds you'll be running, I would highly suggest the additional investment, and you and your father in law can share it as long as you are not racing at the same time. Just get an extra set of mounting hardware for the helmet so you both have it installed on your helmets.

You'll love that shifter. I have the same one in my truck.

Out of curiosity what is the part number on that piston?

I want to say 4955160 off the top of my head. It's been a little while since I placed the order.

It's a little on the small size for my taste, but with the chromoly and the funny car driver containment style it should be safe. AND hopefully you'll never need to use it to its limit!!!!!

I would look seriously at the gussets or additional tubes to brace the chassis mounts though. It would only add a little weight, but it would strengthen that joint a ton and prevent the cage from pushing past the chassis in the event of a turtle...

As for the neck restraint, I purchased one to protect both myself and my family while I navigated in the Baja 1000 for 2012. It wasn't a safety requirement, but I felt it was needed to help prevent possible death from a bad wreck. It was comfortable to wear during the time I was in the race truck. Since the Hybrid uses belts around the torso it offers protection even if the shoulder harness is loose or slips off the lip of the HNR as could happen in an angular crash. At the speeds you'll be running, I would highly suggest the additional investment, and you and your father in law can share it as long as you are not racing at the same time. Just get an extra set of mounting hardware for the helmet so you both have it installed on your helmets.

I'll see what the fab guys say about the chassis mounts.

Look what showed up!

The hood and tailgate will be held on by dzus fasteners.
The doors will have chromoly race-car style lift-off hinges.
I should be able to have the front bumper, hood, doors, and tailgate off the truck in less than a minute.

D2D22452-C35D-427E-9751-48624007B90C_zpsntyhz3oc.jpg

CD7AC47A-F5CA-47B9-B8BD-2220699F352F_zpsbq7thfea.jpg

AAE19603-42E3-41D3-8379-F4DFA2656111_zpsrczhhxcw.jpg

If anybody needs a set of gutted factory doors or tailgate, give me a shout.

Does anybody know any details about the lower corner of the door glass area? Some models have a radius like the doors in the picture, and some do not. Was it a year specific design?

Last edited:
What's your target weight? And what class will you be racing in?

Goal is to get it reasonably light, and be able to add ballast to keep front/rear bias in check. I'm keeping the steel fenders and bedsides, because I don't care for the way the fiberglass ones look. I want to keep it somewhat factory looking. I didn't go for the wild wrap, or cowl hood, or other things that would get attention. If this thing ever sees the street, I want it to be low key.

When I bought the truck, I was building it for super-street. But when talk of dropping the class and combining it with pro-street circulated, I decided that it was silly to build a truck that would never have a chance of being competitive in pro street. Instead, I decided to build it the way I wanted to, and not to conform to a class that may or may not be there. Sacramento and bakersfield are both about 2.5 hours from me. I'll probably do some grudge racing there. As of right now, my truck should be legal for super street, but that kind of comes down to my tire choice.

Your build is extremely well done! Can't wait to see it done. Keep the posts coming I'll be watching/fapping hehe

Look what showed up!

The hood and tailgate will be held on by dzus fasteners.
The doors will have chromoly race-car style lift-off hinges.
I should be able to have the front bumper, hood, doors, and tailgate off the truck in less than a minute.

D2D22452-C35D-427E-9751-48624007B90C_zpsntyhz3oc.jpg

CD7AC47A-F5CA-47B9-B8BD-2220699F352F_zpsbq7thfea.jpg

AAE19603-42E3-41D3-8379-F4DFA2656111_zpsrczhhxcw.jpg

If anybody needs a set of gutted factory doors or tailgate, give me a shout.

Does anybody know any details about the lower corner of the door glass area? Some models have a radius like the doors in the picture, and some do not. Was it a year specific design?

Care to share where these lovely pieces were purchased?

Back