5a5ac71e72b67124e96c0ce6027170c7.jpg
8d049152a910e93a4908f8f45f56e485.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Couple pics I snapped couple weeks ago.

b0c7d80a12778412c93a424aaf54ee40.jpg
5a5ac71e72b67124e96c0ce6027170c7.jpg
8d049152a910e93a4908f8f45f56e485.jpg

I’d like a picture of the T680 in the daylight. :)
What is empty weight on it and the hopper?
Also, you’d put a picture of the brown, flat top 379 with a spread axle Wilson hopper behind it on here awhile ago. What’s empty weight on that rig?

I’d like a picture of the T680 in the daylight. :)

What is empty weight on it and the hopper?

Also, you’d put a picture of the brown, flat top 379 with a spread axle Wilson hopper behind it on here awhile ago. What’s empty weight on that rig?

You GD grain haulers and your empty weight worries. Chit in your own Cheerios to try and save 50# and at the end of the week it doesn’t mean anything. Our trucks load with overhead bins with scales in them and only 1 in 25 loads are ever this exact. It’s almost always 300-500# light. So sick of that crap, my dad will leave 50gal of fuel out of the truck because in his head it lets him haul more. By the math he could have made less than $1 on one load more ONLY if the truck was loaded to exactly 120k. Lmao
8ae6cea2ddbddcc67f4de9ad089f205d.jpg

Last edited:
The KW is a 660. It’s not ours, I just snapped the pic.

The empty weight on my standup varies. I still have my wet kit on, and my 41’ is steel kingpin and subframe. With one tank empty I’m 29300-29400 area.
With the spread, I’m 3-400lbs heavier. It’s a 48’ aluminum sub and kingpin.

I don’t know what my bosses truck weighs.

I won’t play any closer weight games than that. I run one tank of fuel is as far as I go to worrying about it.

You GD grain haulers and your empty weight worries. Chit in your own Cheerios to try and save 50# and at the end of the week it doesn’t mean anything. Our trucks load with overhead bins with scales in them and only 1 in 25 loads are ever this exact. It’s almost always 300-500# light. So sick of that, my dad will leave 50gal of fuel out of the truck because in his head it lets him haul more. By the math he could have made less than $1 on one load more ONLY if the truck was loaded to exactly 120k.
8ae6cea2ddbddcc67f4de9ad089f205d.jpg

:hehe::hehe: Pay a man based on weight, and he’ll worry about his empty weight.
The KW is a 660. It’s not ours, I just snapped the pic.

The empty weight on my standup varies. I still have my wet kit on, and my 41’ is steel kingpin and subframe. With one tank empty I’m 29300-29400 area.
With the spread, I’m 3-400lbs heavier. It’s a 48’ aluminum sub and kingpin.

I don’t know what my bosses truck weighs.

I won’t play any closer weight games than that. I run one tank of fuel is as far as I go to worrying about it.

Thanks.

I’m especially curious about empty weights right now because I’m almost done with my truck. Mine is a 2001 Freightliner Classic daycab, 248” wheelbase, C15 Cat, 13 speed, and a 48’ spread axle Cornhusker, with lopro 22.5 duals all around. It weighed 24,940 lbs the other day, low on fuel.

Last edited:
:hehe::hehe: Pay a man based on weight, and he’ll worry about his empty weight.

Yep sounds like a truckstop greeting card. On paper that sounds amazing, in reality it’s mostly bull****. Most bulk trucks, especially hoppers, don’t load while sitting on scales. So they sacrifice things like reserve fuel, equipment strength or tires to save weight while they bounce down the highway at 78,200# or less. I’m not picking on you, my family was the worst, have gotten better but will still worry about why one truck is heavier than the others while they’re all hauling the same net load.

Yep sounds like a truckstop greeting card. On paper that sounds amazing, in reality it’s mostly bull****. Most bulk trucks, especially hoppers, don’t load while sitting on scales. So they sacrifice things like reserve fuel, equipment strength or tires to save weight while they bounce down the highway at 78,200# or less. I’m not picking on you, my family was the worst, have gotten better but will still worry about why one truck is heavier than the others while they’re all hauling the same net load.

I totally understand. There’s definitely a point of going to stupid lengths to cut weight, but to not care is stupid also.
When I pulled a walking floor in Tx, I got my empty weight down to 28,000 lbs (sleeper truck, N14 Cummins, 18 speed, spread axle walking floor) +/- 500lbs, when most guys were 35,000-38,000 lbs. Average rate of $10 a ton, on 25 loads a week adds up. Especially when a lot of them wouldn’t run an overweight permit (allowed us to gross 84,000lbs), and many didn’t run a spread axle trailer (allowed us to gross 86,600lbs in New Mexico.
All in all, it wasn’t uncommon for me to bring home an additional $1,000-$1,500 a week over what they were.

Attachments

• 478DACB4-4496-4D41-95FE-F90FB2E72495.jpg
    478DACB4-4496-4D41-95FE-F90FB2E72495.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As long as I can get real close to 25 ton on, I don’t care.

I totally understand. There’s definitely a point of going to stupid lengths to cut weight, but to not care is stupid also.
When I pulled a walking floor in Tx, I got my empty weight down to 28,000 lbs (sleeper truck, N14 Cummins, 18 speed, spread axle walking floor) +/- 500lbs, when most guys were 35,000-38,000 lbs. Average rate of $10 a ton, on 25 loads a week adds up. Especially when a lot of them wouldn’t run an overweight permit (allowed us to gross 84,000lbs), and many didn’t run a spread axle trailer (allowed us to gross 86,600lbs in New Mexico.
All in all, it wasn’t uncommon for me to bring home an additional $1,000-$1,500 a week over what they were.

No, its not stupid, people that don't care about their empty weight don't care if they run heavy or not. They are also the people that if they get caught they pay the fine and move on.

No, its not stupid, people that don't care about their empty weight don't care if they run heavy or not. They are also the people that if they get caught they pay the fine and move on.

I sure don’t care to run heavy if I get the chance, and if I get caught it’s my fault.

I don’t know what overweight tickets cost in this part of the country, but in Texas it was $500 for 1,000-5,000 lbs overweight, $750 for 5,001-10,000 lbs overweight, and over 10,000 lbs overweight you had to appear in court. Any overweight ticket within 1 year of a previous was an automatic double $ amount on the fine.
If you got caught heavy, it didn’t “pay” to be overweight. That said, I still overloaded every chance I got, but some places wouldn’t let us leave even 50lbs heavy.

Last edited:
I sure don’t care to run heavy if I get the chance, and if I get caught it’s my fault.

I don’t know what overweight tickets cost in this part of the country, but in Texas it was $500 for 1,000-5,000 lbs overweight, $750 for 5,001-10,000 lbs overweight, and over 10,000 lbs overweight you had to appear in court. Any overweight ticket within 1 year of a previous was an automatic double $ amount on the fine.
If you got caught heavy, it didn’t “pay” to be overweight. That said, I still overloaded every chance I got, but some places wouldn’t let us leave even 50lbs heavy.
KY it's $500 max. Ohio it's depending on the county somewhat but it's $80 for the first 2000# over, 2001-4999# over is $100 + $1 per 100#, over 5000 but under 10k over is $130 + $2 per 100# if your 10K or more over it's $160 + $3 per 100#. Michigan is between $0.06 per pound if your less than 2000 over but $0.40 per pound if your 10K over or more. Not uncommon to hear of $10-15,000 fines especially with the dumb frost laws.

But your talking about a spread of 10,000#, I'm referring to the guys who order trucks with 100gal fuel tanks to save weight even though a 150gal tank almost weighs the same. (something my uncle was guilty of) Insisting on a 10spd even though the 13/18 is less than 140# difference. Super singles which they claim saves you roughly 450#, but costs more than duals on every tire purchase. So even if it did make you more each load (which again I would need to see a stack of 50-100 scale tickets all max weight) it's a wash with the cost of them, especially if you ruin one which we had happen a lot due to rock bore. It was a great day when we found a sucker to buy all those wheels/tires.

It's kind of a running joke around here with me and my friends. Whenever a trailer breaks we always say "I bet he had a great light weight though" as the wrecker is picking up the pieces. I've pissed my dad off before laughing when he leaves light on fuel to save weight, but misses an extra load because he had to stop for fuel and wouldn't have time to reload and make it before the place closes. LOL:clap:

We had a guy here put a gear reduction starter on to save weight. I like gear reduction starters but dang.

We’ve sent hopper loads out all over the United States. Some guys showed up with super singles and every aluminum option made. Some guys showed up in extended hood trucks with steel wheels on the hopper. There really wasn’t all that much difference in their empty weight.

We had a guy here put a gear reduction starter on to save weight. I like gear reduction starters but dang.

We’ve sent hopper loads out all over the United States. Some guys showed up with super singles and every aluminum option made. Some guys showed up in extended hood trucks with steel wheels on the hopper. There really wasn’t all that much difference in their empty weight.

I like gear reduction starters because of the weight. Not for the truck but for when I install it, also because they’re at least new and not reman.

I’ve got pretty much everything on our place switched to gear reduction. The perfect helper for those of us that can’t remember to plug a block heater in.

Reman starters/alternators are like playing the lottery.

I like being light, but I ain’t going crazy with it.

Gotta have at least a little bit of class. :hehe:

Lol buying super singles should be like getting a mortgage. Bank needs like 3yrs tax returns to prove you can afford it, tire shop should be the same. Bring 2 yrs of scale tickets to prove it would make any real world difference, only I would add a psychological evaluation in there too.

I’m thinking of putting a 10spd in my truck to see if the 175# weight savings makes me any money.
b4e11ccdd26aeac602abaf953554554d.jpg

Lol buying super singles should be like getting a mortgage. Bank needs like 3yrs tax returns to prove you can afford it, tire shop should be the same. Bring 2 yrs of scale tickets to prove it would make any real world difference, only I would add a psychological evaluation in there too.

I’m thinking of putting a 10spd in my truck to see if the 175# weight savings makes me any money.

I think you should take a turbo off too, that is like 75lbs right there.

I know it varies some from state to state, but what are you allowed to gross with that 4 axle Mac? 120,000 lbs in Ky, ???

Back