Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Uh huh, so what’s dealer protocol when a truck comes in and you try and update it to the latest and greatest calibration, and you can’t flash the ecm no matter how many laptops you try?

Or the SDP that’s deleted and your dealer tool number is the last one to make system changes?

Would your dealer put an injector in my truck? It’s a CJP C18 truck engine with the correct looking file, flashed by my local Cat dealer (according to the number).

The reason Cat in Maryland knew that someone else flashed it is because I didn’t change the tool number when I did his. I intentionally make everything look stock so dealer kool-aid drinking parts changers don’t puff their chest up and beg for a treat from their boss because they “caught one”. Take the money, bolt the turbo on and stfu. Like the one out west that wouldn’t replace the ecm on a Pete glider because they said it’s not legal. Smfh

Exactly. I need a part, that's it. Put it on and get paid.

I could care less what CAT says about the file in our ECM, as that engine and ECM had 28K hours on it when we had it rebuilt for that truck...now has over 40K. If they think they would offer me any REAL warranty on it, then they are delusional...they would fight tooth and nail for any claim filed even before we tuned it.

Chris

Well, then don't take your modified equipment to cat dealers, who are all being audited by the epa.
It would be cheaper to have John buy the ecm, configure it and ship it across the country than to fight with a dealer about the legality of it.
As I said in my previous post, I cannot complete repairs. I can't detain your property. Who defines "complete"? Is it 70% repaired when it's "towed away"? 98%?$250 tow bill to get it out of my line of sight seems reasonable to absolve my liability in the matter.
Quit pissing and moaning about the complexity and expense of everything dealer related when you are admittedly part of what got us to this point.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Well, then don't take your modified equipment to cat dealers, who are all being audited by the epa.
It would be cheaper to have John buy the ecm, configure it and ship it across the country than to fight with a dealer about the legality of it.
As I said in my previous post, I cannot complete repairs. I can't detain your property. Who defines "complete"? Is it 70% repaired when it's "towed away"? 98%?$250 tow bill to get it out of my line of sight seems reasonable to absolve my liability in the matter.
Quit pissing and moaning about the complexity and expense of everything dealer related when you are admittedly part of what got us to this point.

Funny thing is we know people who own shops that have been visited by the epa, they were told as long as the repair is on something that isn’t emission related that was deleted there are no requirements by the EPA that the ship fix the disabled emission equipment.

If a truck comes in for injector replacement, that’s what you do, nothing you have to do for that job involves anything that would have been modified if a truck were deleted.

Funny thing is we know people who own shops that have been visited by the epa, they were told as long as the repair is on something that isn’t emission related that was deleted there are no requirements by the EPA that the ship fix the disabled emission equipment.

If a truck comes in for injector replacement, that’s what you do, nothing you have to do for that job involves anything that would have been modified if a truck were deleted.

Exactly, if I take any truck to your shop Biggy for a clutch, wheel seal or even a turbo the fact that it’s deleted or tuned is none of you or your shops concern. There is no reason to even look for evidence because your are not directly working on any part that has been “tampered” with. Friend that was visited by the EPA asked if he could replace a head gasket on a deleted truck. The answer was as long as you don’t have to removed any modified piece doing the repair then it’s not your problem. But if for instance you would need to remove the EGR cooler to do the job and that truck already had it removed you would legally have to reinstall one to make it legal for you to complete the repair.

So this dealer BS about “we can’t put wiper blades on your truck because our mouth breathing parts changer found evidence that someone tampered with your ecm. Or “If we change the oil we will get fined” is laughable.

Plenty of glider engines have been overhauled with less than stock ecm files by local Cat shop, left with full warranty and the same file they had when they left. No one batted an eye so no the shop is not required to flash the ecm when they come in like I’ve heard before.

This isn’t personal you’re just the voice of the dealership shop here.

Chris’s truck needed a turbo, they didn’t need a lecture. Fix the truck, take the money and sthu. Dealer shops get a chub whenever they can void a warranty.

The problem I'm facing is that I can't competitively price an overhaul because cat has taken the stance that the ECM must be verified un-tampered. Nearly all of them have had in-licensed ET connected to them in their lifetime, so I have to install an ECM to grant them warranty. The only reason they were doing business with us was for the warranty, not because we were cheap.

And you are right, it's nonsense to throw flags over chassis or power train work.

I'm not a legal expert on this, so take it for what it is. It's my understanding (because I've been told repeatedly) that the warranty cannot be "voided".
We can decline warranty on a failure the can be attributed to the modification. This really comes down to anything power cylinder related. With that said, oil pumps, water pumps, thermostats, oil coolers, can't have their warranty "voided" unless they themselves have been modified.
The expectation is that the customer will take the action needed to restore their coverage.

I'd gladly take your money and stfu. The problem is just this last week, we were asked why one of the TEPS dealers in our AOR was selling so many marine cams and big injectors. Someone is paying a bit more attention than usual.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Most dealer “in spec” overhauls are laughable anyway. U need turbos, oil cooler, etc that aren’t even bad to get the warranty, then set liners to .003 and reuse head bolts again. When it pops it gets denied cause the ecm mileage doesn’t exactly match the dash cause of a bum speed sensor or some other kind of like inaccuracy. Dealers can stick it

so...my pos now has a huge opil leak on the huei pump...could I get an upgrade on the ecm if I take it in to have it fixed....I haven't looked into it yet to do it myself....its a mess..and the trailer weighs 10k..gross is about 25..it just don't accelerate any better than my dodge..altho it goes down the road a lot f'n better..no comaprsion..bt its slow to speed...can I just unbolt the air comp and the huei to fix the leak or is there more involved..timing ot an other bs in removing them..i got the rest of it long as a key or gear don't fall in or lose time when I take em off...

so...my pos now has a huge opil leak on the huei pump...could I get an upgrade on the ecm if I take it in to have it fixed....I haven't looked into it yet to do it myself....its a mess..and the trailer weighs 10k..gross is about 25..it just don't accelerate any better than my dodge..altho it goes down the road a lot f'n better..no comaprsion..bt its slow to speed...can I just unbolt the air comp and the huei to fix the leak or is there more involved..timing ot an other bs in removing them..i got the rest of it long as a key or gear don't fall in or lose time when I take em off...
Just fill it with Lucas, bet that leak slows down!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most dealer “in spec” overhauls are laughable anyway. U need turbos, oil cooler, etc that aren’t even bad to get the warranty, then set liners to .003 and reuse head bolts again. When it pops it gets denied cause the ecm mileage doesn’t exactly match the dash cause of a bum speed sensor or some other kind of like inaccuracy. Dealers can stick it

Preach it! They got the same motto as the postal service “if it fits it ships”. Make you buy parts you don’t need but won’t fix what needs it.

I like the diagnostic tree of stupidity. Even if you know what’s wrong with the engine they have to follow the steps one by one on your dime. If you take a Paccar MX in that needs a pump they won’t just replace the pump, they have to go down the tree, burning your money. How we diagnose a bad common rail pump is to unplug them with the engine running, when it dies the other one is bad. But not the dealer, it’s 100 times more complicated.

Just fill it with Lucas, bet that leak slows down!

In HS a buddy blew his car up with that chit. Kept adding until the leak stopped, it only stopped because it was too thick for his weak oil pump. In hindsight it probably saved him a pile of money fixing the POS.

Yeah I cant imagine any engine would be happy to be 100% fed Lucas oil stabilizer! I've run it as high as 1qt of lucas per gallon of oil with favorable results. All on stuff I was just trying to get by with though.

Preach it! They got the same motto as the postal service “if it fits it ships”. Make you buy parts you don’t need but won’t fix what needs it.

I like the diagnostic tree of stupidity. Even if you know what’s wrong with the engine they have to follow the steps one by one on your dime. If you take a Paccar MX in that needs a pump they won’t just replace the pump, they have to go down the tree, burning your money. How we diagnose a bad common rail pump is to unplug them with the engine running, when it dies the other one is bad. But not the dealer, it’s 100 times more complicated.

Don’t forget the no pack disassembly to check those ring gaps.

Don’t forget the no pack disassembly to check those ring gaps.

Lol yea forgot about that. Cat warranty rep stopped to look at a failed liner. Asked if they were dissembled before installation. Well yet dipchit kind of hard to check liner protrusion by dry fitting the entire assembled pack each time. He didn’t like that, but didn’t have an answer on how your supposed to make sure the ring gaps are in the right places if you don’t take them apart.

Also said they don’t reuse pistons but couldn’t explain why 3 in a gold kit were shiny and 3 were painted gray. Lmao. Now on a side note Cummins parts are so junk they don’t even want cam cores back anymore. Probably too expensive to boat them back to China.

Lol yea forgot about that. Cat warranty rep stopped to look at a failed liner. Asked if they were dissembled before installation. Well yet dipchit kind of hard to check liner protrusion by dry fitting the entire assembled pack each time. He didn’t like that, but didn’t have an answer on how your supposed to make sure the ring gaps are in the right places if you don’t take them apart.

Also said they don’t reuse pistons but couldn’t explain why 3 in a gold kit were shiny and 3 were painted gray. Lmao. Now on a side note Cummins parts are so junk they don’t even want cam cores back anymore. Probably too expensive to boat them back to China.
What got the liner? I've seen more out of round liners than rings aligned.

74459654_441734019867067_109012587869372416_n.png

I'm bored.

so I was working on the abortion that is the wiring on this pos and where the f is the fusebox..2001 fl60...marker lights are kicked out

Caterpillar diagnostics is so primitive that they can not check ECM file checksum ? There is no way around that, except to flash it back to stock before taking the truck to dealer.

And about dynos again : "Without proper inertial compensation, a dynamometer will report lower power whenever the engine is spinning up the shafts - and artificially high power (augmented by the “flywheel energy”) during periods of negative acceleration. Note: Unscrupulous dyno operators sometimes use the load valve to quickly tug down an uncompensated engine test - producing fictitiously inflated Hp. "

Back