Switchblade turbocharger

Pretty slick, looked into it a bit more. Curious as to: 1) can this turbo be sold without the manifold; 2) will that housing be machined for other turbos; 3) what are the round about rpm reduction figures in spool?

U can buy the turbo without the manifold, but the housing is t4. Last I knew they had tried a t3/t4 adapter and weren't happy with the results. The guy behind this turbo has been doing turbos for years and years. Probably forgot more than most of the other "experts" know.

I've asked about buying it minus the manifold and got a thumbs up, just have to tap mine. In the vid you can see 1 to 1 past 50 psi, that is better than any turbo I've ever tested and yes I am very interested.

Jim

Last edited:
T4.jpg

Just for you'll, stock T-3 verses a T-4 that I smoothed up, wonder which one will breath!

Jim

Last edited:
Pretty slick, looked into it a bit more. Curious as to: 1) can this turbo be sold without the manifold; 2) will that housing be machined for other turbos; 3) what are the round about rpm reduction figures in spool?

I can't answer all your questions but I'll answer what I can. (1)The T-4 manifold does not come with it, the unit does require a HX-40 down pipe, (2) oldturbonut is talking about making some bigger ones eventually (3) the spool is all adjustable off the laptop. Depending on the level of the quad, it spools with my set-up (hrvp-44, 70hp stix, airdog II 165, quad 4k). We haven't even truly found the sweet spot of it, still got some tuning left. Depending on the level of the quad, it'll spool on level 7 about 1600rpms or so + or - some.:st:

so how much is this going to be? how will it be controlled in a twin scynerio? im wanting to move up to a t4 type turbo and manifold in my twins but dont want to sacrifice my spoolup.. this looks like the answer.

so how much is this going to be? how will it be controlled in a twin scynerio? im wanting to move up to a t4 type turbo and manifold in my twins but dont want to sacrifice my spoolup.. this looks like the answer.
Just to be clear, this is an S300 frame turbo. The turbine housing inlet is T4 size.
We have one application with two of the turbos (not compound) on LS6 Chevy going in 71 Chevelle, 1400 hp at rear wheels. The two turbos are controlled by one computer. I have pix

im just wondering why your choosing to use a computor instead a mechanical boost acctuator not unlike a typical wiastgate controller? seems to me that would be much much simpler and would work well.. all you would have to do is offer different strength springs for desired spoolup affect. a compound scynerio you could just make the boost reference come from between the stages.. thats how mine is now and works great. Im just looking to free up the exhaust side and keep the spoolup i have now..

Turbo........

Would this be a step up, sideways or down from my current Silver Bullet 64 hybrid with Mach 6 sticks and a Blue chip X-vp44? I dont know jack about turbos. Thanks

im just wondering why your choosing to use a computor instead a mechanical boost acctuator not unlike a typical wiastgate controller? seems to me that would be much much simpler and would work well.. all you would have to do is offer different strength springs for desired spoolup affect. a compound scynerio you could just make the boost reference come from between the stages.. thats how mine is now and works great. Im just looking to free up the exhaust side and keep the spoolup i have now..
Initially,we used boost to work a two way cylinder but after much testing realized that there was a reason that Borg and Honeywell used the electrical actuator motors controlled by the engine computer, they are much faster. Now we use the same Delphi actuator that Borg Warner uses only controlled by a programmable stand alone computer we designed to monitor boost, back pressure, throttle position sensor, EGT's, turbo rpm and engine rpm's.
Just seemed to work much better, in our application at least.

im curious if you tried a spring over boost acctuator at any point? of similar design to a typical waistgate acctuator.

Initially,we used boost to work a two way cylinder but after much testing realized that there was a reason that Borg and Honeywell used the electrical actuator motors controlled by the engine computer, they are much faster. Now we use the same Delphi actuator that Borg Warner uses only controlled by a programmable stand alone computer we designed to monitor boost, back pressure, throttle position sensor, EGT's, turbo rpm and engine rpm's.
Just seemed to work much better, in our application at least.

How are you measuring turbo rpm?

Adam

im curious if you tried a spring over boost acctuator at any point? of similar design to a typical waistgate acctuator.
No, didn't try it that way, however, we are getting ready to use an actuator based on manifold vacuum on our Harley V-Rod with a Switchblade turbo, of course it is a gasser. :evil Currently 150 hp, planning to up to 200.

Well this weekend I hauled some hay with the new setup. I was hauling 7 bales an total weight of roughly 15,000lbs. I pulled the same 1/2 mile long hill 7 times an was very impressed each an every time!!! I'm gonna put some before an after Switchblade stats up here. Keep in mind, this is all pulling the same hill.

Before Switchblade:
Egt max-1,790
Boost-28lbs
engine temp-240 an rising
speed at top-45

After installing Switchblade:
Egt max-1,440
Boost-43lbs
Engine temp-215
Speed at top-60
It had no problem spooling either, even on level 1 of the quad!
In my opinion, that was enough of an improvement to say it was worth it!!

Back