New Borg Warner S300sxe Turbos

It's always cheaper to do it yourself if you've got the spare time to donate and a moderate skill set or willingness to learn.

Ok so now the heat is here (95-107) in Houston and man what a difference it makes in regard to turbo responsiveness.

The heat has definitely negatively impacted the 69sxes spool to compound the 480. Its still fun, but not like the crisp cool air!

Looking to get the v2 cover for the 480 and see if that helps drop charged air temps.

So my gt4088r might be dieing. Truck feels like its lost 100hp
Got 280 miles left to home.. egts running hotter ~150-200(empty), boost isnt as responsive, mpg is down, turbo play is good.. but seams to stop spinning faster than normal once truck is off.. it would take solid 60-70 seconds to stop spinning...
egts once off throttle dont drop as fast... no signs of soot leaks...didn't feel any holes in the piping or boots hot or cold side..
got about 70k on a new chra gt4088r.. ~$1300.00��
Will be doing compression test, cac pressure test and some dyno time setup at the shire

4088 is a 63.5/88 with a 77 turbine currently running .83 ar gated housing on a T3 foot.
I know the charger is capable of 6-650( still stockish trans)
If it is bad.. pretty much planning on swap to a T4 foot and a S300 based charger
Want something comparable to it..

So my gt4088r might be dieing. Truck feels like its lost 100hp
Got 280 miles left to home.. egts running hotter ~150-200(empty), boost isnt as responsive, mpg is down, turbo play is good.. but seams to stop spinning faster than normal once truck is off.. it would take solid 60-70 seconds to stop spinning...
egts once off throttle dont drop as fast... no signs of soot leaks...didn't feel any holes in the piping or boots hot or cold side..
got about 70k on a new chra gt4088r.. ~$1300.00��
Will be doing compression test, cac pressure test and some dyno time setup at the shire

4088 is a 63.5/88 with a 77 turbine currently running .83 ar gated housing on a T3 foot.
I know the charger is capable of 6-650( still stockish trans)
If it is bad.. pretty much planning on swap to a T4 foot and a S300 based charger
Want something comparable to it..

Sounds like the turbine wheel might be melted or missing some material from the tips of the inducer. According to the map, the GT4088r flows about 68 lbs/min so even the smallest SXE 362 outflows your current turbo by a substantial amount @ 76 lbs per minute. I'd replace your GT with a 362/68 and if you plan to go T4, probably try the .83ar non-gated T4 housing.

Sounds like the turbine wheel might be melted or missing some material from the tips of the inducer. According to the map, the GT4088r flows about 68 lbs/min so even the smallest SXE 362 outflows your current turbo by a substantial amount @ 76 lbs per minute. I'd replace your GT with a 362/68 and if you plan to go T4, probably try the .83ar non-gated T4 housing.

Max egts ive seen is 1150°

Hopefully i dont have to replace yet..

What should i expect going from a 77 to a 68 turbine? Or is it apples oranges due to ones ball bearing and other is journal

Ahh 76 in 68 out.. wonder that the exducer of the Garret
Whats exducer on the bw compressor wheel?

Last edited:
Lookin from the turbo spec guide on here I think the exducer of the TW on the Garrett is 77, inducer being 68. From the BW catalog there is a choice of two exducers 83 and 87. I haven't been interested in these new sxe's but from my interweb travels I have noticed that they are fairly popular.

I literally see no reason not to use an sxe charger, I literally love my s369 it spools ridiculously fast, and I can't wait to even add some more fuel to it. My half ton loved swapping from my standard s364 to this sxe.

Love to hear that! I agree. For the price its a no brainer. $700 gets you an amazingly capable turbo. I got a 69/1.0 and .91 sitting here waiting to do some work.

I literally see no reason not to use an sxe charger, I literally love my s369 it spools ridiculously fast, and I can't wait to even add some more fuel to it. My half ton loved swapping from my standard s364 to this sxe.

Do you know your hp#?

Your quarter mile time on slicks?

So chose to just keep my compounds afyer having pulled them off to sell all to put back on. In the mean time sold my sxe369 with the T4 .91 and ended up getting stuck using a sxe364.5 secondary with the 1.0 again. Holy mother Mary this thing moves. Even with going to the larger 1.0 my off throttle boost is almost 250rpms faster.

Streets are wet so nothing crazy, but 50% throttle the truck wants to get out of its own way. Definitely going to do more "reasonable driving" tomorrow to test things, but I'd put money on it this combo can easily get 1:1 with 75-80 psi knowing how the 1.0 flows on the big end.

So chose to just keep my compounds afyer having pulled them off to sell all to put back on. In the mean time sold my sxe369 with the T4 .91 and ended up getting stuck using a sxe364.5 secondary with the 1.0 again. Holy mother Mary this thing moves. Even with going to the larger 1.0 my off throttle boost is almost 250rpms faster.

Streets are wet so nothing crazy, but 50% throttle the truck wants to get out of its own way. Definitely going to do more "reasonable driving" tomorrow to test things, but I'd put money on it this combo can easily get 1:1 with 75-80 psi knowing how the 1.0 flows on the big end.

^''off throttle"? Are you still liking the 64?

Back