Time to throw out the s467.7 turbo choices?

yep, my old tuning from a "popular tuner" was the culprit... Les and Dominic have been true gentlemen on getting me headed in the right direction!

I have flashed it probably 10 times in the last week but i am almost smoke free and spooling way sooner than before. i have a few dead spots after lock up getting on the freeway but im getting there.

@ 2850 u.s. and 26* timing on the s369 pulls harder on the big end than the 467.7 @ 27* and 3100 u.s. with about 150* less on the pyro @ WOT.

What boost pressures are you seeing? Drive?

50-52 psi depending on the weather. No drive pressure gauge, but i have no shutter or bark now that i added a little timing.

50-52 psi depending on the weather. No drive pressure gauge, but i have no shutter or bark now that i added a little timing.

Well I can say don't run that .91 T4 much past 55-60 without a gate....

Now ask me how I know lol....:nail::hehe:

Made an 80% throttle 4th gear roll today and was at about 80 pounds of boost over all.....

Truck was still pulling and had more spool to give, but I got the answer I needed on a lingering thought I had.... HG gave the ghost just barely enough to presurize the water jacket and some soot was in my overflow.

When I did a retorque the other day I felt some of my 625s move more than I would like to see. Likely there was already a weakspot from the original owners shop install not having enough torque or retorques, and me turning up the boost this past week confirmed it.

Last edited:
WHATAAAAAAATTtttttt? are you talking about the setup in your sig?

what timing and fuel are you running? i never go more than 55psi on my DD

WHATAAAAAAATTtttttt? are you talking about the setup in your sig?

what timing and fuel are you running? i never go more than 55psi on my DD

Yes, which is current setup on the truck.

Tuning is by Mike at ATP, which is IdahoRobs Cummins Guy. From a tune standpoint I can't remember where timing is at, but pulse is 2900 since these are only baby R1 injectors. ATP is known for not having overly

I love this compound setup though, and would highly recommend the same setup to anyone that wants the perfect blend of street/ performance....

Just make sure your retorques are done correctly!

Still not 100% sure it's blown though..... thinking I may be having a slow thermostat causing flash boiling coolant.

6.7 cummins Headgasket bubble test - YouTube

Not the best comparison at all for me but it can make ~20psi by 1800 RPM.

Last edited:
Good job! Ive been there before.... back in the day that was normally caused from a box tuner with crazy timing.

Oh and video #1, your fired from the camera. Haha

Good job! Ive been there before.... back in the day that was normally caused from a box tuner with crazy timing.

Oh and video #1, your fired from the camera. Haha

I did the head gasket job yesterday, and found this between 5-6 once I split the layers of the gasket....

20180430_185600.jpg

Coppered up the new one, and torqued to a true 155 this time compared to what the last install of the 625s were when the previous owner had them put in.

20180501_085845.jpg

Will do a hot retorque or 2 and go from there.

Side note, injector hold down bolts have to be the most fragile bolts on these things. Had one snap at the same torque as the others with about an 1/8 on an inch sticking out of block. Welded on a nut, and out she came. Sourced a grade 10 m6 x 1.0 x 30mm and buttoned up.

Last edited:
I hear you in the injector hold downs.
Same applied for the nuts where the wires connect to the injector. Finger tight with a socket is plenty.

Not sure how they are holding up as singles but seems people have been smoking SXE models as secondary in compounds. I think they are decent as primaries but can’t hold up for crap being fed by another charger. That’s from taking to guys that build compound and triple set ups when I was looking for someone to do my piping. 99% of them suggested Garrett’s far a spooling faster and holding up better far as bearing wise as a manifold charger. Far as custom chargers go they may mill the covers a little bit and slap a billet wheel on them but not really gonna change how fast it spoils compared to a box unit. AR size will help more then anything. But far as brands if you want best if the best Garrett’s seem to be just that. Down the road if you ever want to move up then you can still run that as you manifold charger and can go compounds and not have to sell that one if it’s the correct sizing.

Last edited:
Not sure how they are holding up as singles but seems people have been smoking SXE models as secondary in compounds. I think they are decent as primaries but can’t hold up for crap being fed by another charger. That’s from taking to guys that build compound and triple set ups when I was looking for someone to do my piping. 99% of them suggested Garrett’s far a spooling faster and holding up better far as bearing wise as a manifold charger. Far as custom chargers go they may mill the covers a little bit and slap a billet wheel on them but not really gonna change how fast it spoils compared to a box unit. AR size will help more then anything. But far as brands if you want best if the best Garrett’s seem to be just that. Down the road if you ever want to move up then you can still run that as you manifold charger and can go compounds and not have to sell that one if it’s the correct sizing.

I keep reading this as well but have seen minimal evidence of the actual failures. Going on 6k on mine but its not pushing hard at all. Guess I'll pull the cold pipe and have a looksee.

Taterbuilt? I'm impressed with all the numbers and drivability that have come from the hobbit camp. It's got me thinking about switching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes taterbuilt. I put a 67 67 he351 on my 03 with a bd manifold. No gauges yet though. Haven't got much time on it as I just installed it yesterday.

I was talking with Larson Miller and another guy who are running them. Larson runs the 7.70 class with it with great success.

Seeing what Larson is doing with it sold me. I thought he was still running twins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back