6.7 Dampner on a 5.9

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
People say it works, the OD of the balancer is larger than the OD of the 5.9 balancer and it hits my fan pulley........ Anyone? How thick is the shell of the dampner can I hit it with a mill and take a few thou off or is the dampner shell to thin? Thanks.
Brandon

You need the 6.7 fan pulley, it has a backset to just clear the balancer.

The 6.7 damper is 1/4" thicker than the OEM 5.9 (not including integral reluctor wheel), but it's 3/4" larger O.D. - even with the tapered shoulder - won't clear the 5.9 fan pulley w/o removing ~.080" of the shoulder's peak... you can also move the idler/fan pulley bracket.

All parts interchange by themselves, but as you've found they don't always mix & match together.

ever heard of a FLUIDAMPER?

I'm guessing everyone reading this thread has heard of the high $$$ aftermarket dampeners on the market.

I believe the basic thinking with installing a 6.7 dampener is it works better than the stock 5.9 dampener and can be purchased used for much less than an aftermarket version.

Yep all 6.7s come with a Fluidampr-style viscous damper. How they compare to Fluidampr I can't say but the 6.7 one has to be quite an improvement over the traditional style damper that all 5.9s came with.

FluiDampr:

At ~ 9.18" O.D., it's 2.5" high 90* shoulder clears a 5.9L pulley by ~.075", but it still lacks over 3lbs. on the OEM 6.7L part... although either is over 50% more massive than the 5.9CR's.

Back