47re problems, what part was this?

I got it tore back down and remeasured my thrust plate tolerances and came up with a little more than I originally measured so I am going to put the he .213" thrust plate back in it.

Does this gap look right beneath the last steel and wire snap ring? I can't find a spec for that in my book.

7a2063a77ccd998f9a3d71bfab235ed2.jpg

Clearance to the wire ring looks fine.
Remove the wire ring and lay the OD piston with spacer on that bearing like it would stack up in the trans. You should be around .115" clearance from the piston to the top steel.

Clearance to the wire ring looks fine.
Remove the wire ring and lay the OD piston with spacer on that bearing like it would stack up in the trans. You should be around .115" clearance from the piston to the top steel.

I appreciate the info! I already put it back together with the original setup though, .223" Haha

At first it did the same flare then started to clear up after a couple miles of cycling OD. Now I think I should have left out the .010" shim because it seems to bind a little while going into OD... i am going to run it some more and see how it does.

I drove it to work this morning and that binding is completely gone. Just nice crisp shifts in every gear. I appreciate everyone that helped, I am trying to get this thing ready for the World Finals. :tree:

I appreciate the info! I already put it back together with the original setup though, .223" Haha

At first it did the same flare then started to clear up after a couple miles of cycling OD. Now I think I should have left out the .010" shim because it seems to bind a little while going into OD... i am going to run it some more and see how it does.

I think too large isn't an issue, other than not applying the OD clutches and possibly letting the OD piston drop out and push the seal. The big issue is if it is set too tight, that the OD clutches and Direct clutches are applied at the same time during a shift.

I think too large isn't an issue, other than not applying the OD clutches and possibly letting the OD piston drop out and push the seal. The big issue is if it is set too tight, that the OD clutches and Direct clutches are applied at the same time during a shift.

In my mind too loose causes the flare and too tight causes the bind. That tolerance controls the timing from when one OD pack releases and the other applies, right?

I will pull the trans back apart after the race season is over, as I am putting this transmission in my new race truck build.

In my mind too loose causes the flare and too tight causes the bind. That tolerance controls the timing from when one OD pack releases and the other applies, right?

I will pull the trans back apart after the race season is over, as I am putting this transmission in my new race truck build.

There is an overrunning clutch that will hold even if the direct clutches are shot. So one of the dangers with too loose is allowing the piston to push out of its retainer. The direct clutches are needed for reverse though.

Back