12v Cummins white smoke popping

Johnf350

Hi I have a 96 12v Cummins was running fine was driving at about 30 mph made a pop noise then all of a sudden lost power an started blowing white smoke I have a adjustable timming gear that’s keyed iv checked the timming just to be sure it set right which it’s at 25* has new industrial 5x22 injectors im getting fuel at the injectors when I crack the lines some an I have 50 psi reading on my fuel gauge getting hard to start an blow a lot of white smoke at idle an wont rev at all without popping also running rough doesn’t has a fade fuel system on it. Could the ofv be causing these issue any ideas an things to look for would be great

Last edited:
The over flow valve could cause the issue, easy enough to check. I figured anyone with an adjustable Cam gear would have the knowledge to check that, so it wasn't mentioned.
Keys are easily sheared. That's why many people tack weld the gear.

The over flow valve could cause the issue, easy enough to check. I figured anyone with an adjustable Cam gear would have the knowledge to check that, so it wasn't mentioned.
Keys are easily sheared. That's why many people tack weld the gear.

Yep, the first engine in Bodacious still has the crank gear welded just a smidge out of time. Lol

Timing marks don't change when gears spin. You may want to check valve positions vs. TDC.

Last edited:
It does it cold or warmed up? I'd send injectors out and also make sure your delivery valves have been lapped into the holders if they are aftermarket. Checked for boost leaks?

Last edited:
Could have broken the camshaft also. I've seen those break along a horizontal path. It'll still spin, but throws of valve timing.
Please keep us updated on your findings.

I've had injectors get stuck open that made similar issues. I'd be pulling them and swapping in another set to rule them out.

You could just crack injection lines one at a time and see if the smoke clears. I was keying in on the popping noise he mentioned that started the issue.

You could just crack injection lines one at a time and see if the smoke clears. I was keying in on the popping noise he mentioned that started the issue.

If the smoke don’t clear, a change in engine sound will help indicate a cylinder that might have trouble.

And I mean the lack of any change in sound.

Maybe the motor had enough trouble shooting. Lol

:doh: I hate it when people come for ideas, I take the bait, but then there is no "this is what I found". Anyone else who reads this in the future will find a dead end.

John, if you come back, please make us whole. :poke:

Back