Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Adapter was to convert a PC head to DI. He wanted to build an 18L mechanical with 13mm Cat pump. After reading all the cons of using those parts the idea was scrapped. The block would be OK but since you would have to change a lot of stuff to make it DI it would be cheaper to just start with a DI engine. I think timing advance was different and probably more. I’ve never seen one other than this one so he’s probably right about not being used in trucks but.....

This particular block and head was part of the 88,000#+ worth of engine parts me and some friends bought. The heads look the same as any 3406A/B other than the injector holes being larger. SmokinCat looked all this up when we were digging to try and make this work and it’s just not worth it.

Plate load is actually stock heavy haul rating. With stock organic disc they hold over 4400 lbft. I just needed something that can take slipping.

And these are 430mm clutches , 15" is largest iron disc anyone has ever made.

Those KY clutches seems to explode quite easily , at least at Onaway.

Automatics, they are for americans. ? Or automated ? They use similar clutches.

I can’t imagine why clutches explode when you dump the clutch loaded at 3500rpm. When the only cushion you have is tire slip bad things happen. The Rockwell clutch is used in several race trucks in Canada.

Rockwell clutch designed by Rockwell International, you know Leiffi the same US company that built the Space Shuttle, Apollo command module, P-51 Mustang etc and been spun off into several other successful companies. Was Finland building those better too? Crower was building clutches in the 60’s, was that when Finland was knocking them off?

And since when does a Volvo need a clutch that can hold 4000#. Hahahahaha

Adapter was to convert a PC head to DI. He wanted to build an 18L mechanical with 13mm Cat pump. After reading all the cons of using those parts the idea was scrapped. The block would be OK but since you would have to change a lot of stuff to make it DI it would be cheaper to just start with a DI engine. I think timing advance was different and probably more. I’ve never seen one other than this one so he’s probably right about not being used in trucks but.....

This particular block and head was part of the 88,000#+ worth of engine parts me and some friends bought. The heads look the same as any 3406A/B other than the injector holes being larger. SmokinCat looked all this up when we were digging to try and make this work and it’s just not worth it.
It was a 7fb?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So is a 7fb a di block/head? Or should we pull it and open it up to see.

Would it be water cooled air intake?

All 7FBs are DI, the nozzle adapter changes at some point through the 7FB production.

Early style which is weaker has two small tabs that engage notches on the nozzle to hold it down, the newer style has a large nut that holds the nozzle from the top down and has to be put on before the injection lines.

All 7FBs are DI, the nozzle adapter changes at some point through the 7FB production.

Early style which is weaker has two small tabs that engage notches on the nozzle to hold it down, the newer style has a large nut that holds the nozzle from the top down and has to be put on before the injection lines.

Ahhh ok

So it should be alright for a little power. Then he can retain the mechanical engine. We know of a 3406e an I mentioned if the block was no good we could maybe get the e and make it mechanical. Lol but I know nothing about cat. Whichever way we go, it’ll get rebuilt. So we wanna chose good parts for a little power.

Is the 3406b cam in the block with pushrods? And assuming a 3406e the cam is in the head?

Ahhh ok

So it should be alright for a little power. Then he can retain the mechanical engine. We know of a 3406e an I mentioned if the block was no good we could maybe get the e and make it mechanical. Lol but I know nothing about cat. Whichever way we go, it’ll get rebuilt. So we wanna chose good parts for a little power.

Is the 3406b cam in the block with pushrods? And assuming a 3406e the cam is in the head?
B's are pushrod, E's are overhead. The E's still have the cam bores in the casting.

His is 15,000 newer than mine and mine has the nut hold downs, although the head may have been changed.

So I think it has a nut with a hold down. This would be the better?
49cdd25b6a05a83e7676f3554277a05f.jpg

4cfb11aa8db0115601c4ff119a39ecfe.jpg

It also looks like the aluminum intake cover has a crack. And to me looks like it is a water cooled intake.
4bd8d807db43488940bc232737e71049.jpg

Do the pump numbers mean anything?

Yeah like that lol. All the ones I've seen look just like that where they've been beat on with a punch because nobody ever buys the tool.

Ok well have to get to pulling the engine soon.

The spacer plate seems a little goofy. Is there not lots of issues with the liners moving over time?

Watching a few videos. Same nozzle hold down as posted above. Seems pretty simple to r&r rhe nozzles.

So one photos posted with the nut that has 2 slots is the one style and the other is the part blow up showing #11?

Last edited:
Watching a few videos. Same nozzle hold down as posted above. Seems pretty simple to r&r rhe nozzles.

So one photos posted with the nut that has 2 slots is the one style and the other is the part blow up showing #11?

Correct, the upper one in the parts breakdown is the weaker style.

You need some specific tools to pull nozzles, need the spanner for the hold down and then there is a specific line socket.

Correct, the upper one in the parts breakdown is the weaker style.

You need some specific tools to pull nozzles, need the spanner for the hold down and then there is a specific line socket.

I seen the specific socket and the small spanner for the nut. Haven’t seen a visual of the other style.

So far I’m gathering the 7fb can put out so good power with stock parts. A different turbo and maybe some larger nozzles. Then pump work.

I haven’t found anything on what kind of power without an air2air. And what effect that might have on the engine.

It’ll be worked. We don’t have any truck pulls around us. It will most likely become his full time truck, except for maybe gravel. We haul heavy too. But I am usually doing the heavier stuff.

Back