2000 Jetta ALH build thread

Thanks guys! I have put a ton of work into this car but its paying for itself. O-rings in the pump are common issues due to the newer ULSD. So be prepared to do it if you own a car. DieselGeek.com has a great 70 min video on YouTube on how to do it with the pump still on the car.

Well I guess I have some knowledge to gain in the next year. So any enlightenment will help.

What is ALH? And are these an in line or rotated style pump? I imagine newer models are common rail?

The newer ones are common rail. The alh which is 99.5-03 iirc is the claimed to be best engine vw did. It's electronic pump with mechanical injectors. Basically a vp pump. What's nice about these years is the tuning capabilities. My car personally has a downloader in it. It's made by Malone tuning. I can change from a stage 3 tune to a stock tune in about 5 min. The older cars you have to replace ecu's or solder in the programming making it a one time tune. The 04 up cars are more expensive to do injectors mainly. Now this is what I have learned and some of it might be a little off but I'm still learning every day on these awesome cars.

I did get my new injectors in and am now in the process of resealing the injection pump.

Thanks!! It's almost done. I have a aluminum skid plate and side skirts to do, an oil pan on the next oil change and some nice seat covers along with my arm rest. After that im going to stop with the car work. I will tell you guys that the 502 titan injectors sure did make a difference in the car. Its running good. Need a dry day to see if the clutch just had some fuel on it and is done slipping golefully. Then the franken truck is coming into the shop to start it.

Well car runs a lot better. It's now smoking a little too much for me. Time to retune it or turbo upgrade it. I do have a future vnt17/22 with a 3 bar map I'm going to do on it just to clean up the smoke issue. The vnt15 can't burn it all.

The diesel geek panzer skid plate with the FMJ kit was ordered Friday. I should have it Wednesday so I can do it this weekend along with the oil pan swap. When in there I'm going to check the bearings to see how the engine is along with the block lining.

Cool build thread, it's neat to see how a bunch of guys driving trucks are starting to get into these little things. I think I'm going that way myself. Do you know of any good forums, basically like CompD, for these cars? I'd like to start researching more about these.

I want an alh . I drive 90 miles a day for work , its killing me . I'm just nervous getting a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it for around 6-7k and having to depend on it everyday . My current commuter, 06 corolla is hurting with 150k and I'm gonna need an upgrade soon.

18s

I go to TdiClub for about everything.

Then, yesterday I got the new oil pan on(PO stripped drain plug), then also installed my new skid plate with metal side skirts. Man is it really nice and a good piece. I recommend the dieselgeek panzer plate to anyone. Easy install too.

18s

I go to TdiClub for about everything.

Then, yesterday I got the new oil pan on(PO stripped drain plug), then also installed my new skid plate with metal side skirts. Man is it really nice and a good piece. I recommend the dieselgeek panzer plate to anyone. Easy install too.

MK3 = oem steel oil pan! :rockwoot:

I still want a 99-03 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd on some 18s someday

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

I bought an 06 with a 5spd awhile back and it was a complete pile...turned out it needed a new trans and clutch and timing belt change and was gna come due for a cam swap..needless to say I sold it within 24 hrs, got my money back outta it, and never looked back and am now on the hunt for an ALH car..cannot get over the looks of your car with the rims n tint dustin..

Make me an offer LOL

As is or wait till injectors are in it and a tune?

2000 w/ 186k
New injection pump and timing belt in December.
No check engine lights, ac is cold, no leaks.

I think everything else is listed in this thread though. Gets 50mpg now after you figure the 6% off the odometer is due to tires.

What size tire are you running? A 225/40/18 should have put you very close to the factory 15s.

99s aren't able to be Tuned on the fly like the 00+ models. its about 5 min to change tunes honestly.

thanks for the compliments. lots of time went into the car.

it has 245/40/18s they are larger than you think. but here in the next few.weeks stock wheels and tires will be back on to get the actual mileage. only thing I will say is Aaron at bora parts said that when the speedo is dead on your 6% off on mileage. that's where I received my info.

again thank you guys!!

tuning a 99 isn't bad, its definitely more manual work to do it though. Pull ECU, crack it open, swap chips, reinstall vs plugging in and flashing. They need to be socketed prior to doing that of course.

Back