Truckers, lets see your rigs!

1s and 2s are just hard to gain any performance from unless you find the right person. I think the 5 was the first EGR engines, and as there are pre EGR 14l engines I'd say those would still be 4s.

If you are going to get a tune, it won't matter much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Bingo! Anything DDEC 3-5 is fine, don't buy a DDEC6 on a bet. Rear gear train, perfect for a COE not for anthing with a hood. Air compressor is above the starter which on just about any truck currently available with a Detroit requires a search party to find. Cam's are hollow tubes with lobes pressed on, real POS.

Bingo! Anything DDEC 3-5 is fine, don't buy a DDEC6 on a bet. Rear gear train, perfect for a COE not for anthing with a hood. Air compressor is above the starter which on just about any truck currently available with a Detroit requires a search party to find. Cam's are hollow tubes with lobes pressed on, real POS.
Whiskey....tango.....foxtrot? Why would they ever think that's a good idea?

Whiskey....tango.....foxtrot? Why would they ever think that's a good idea?

European stupidity, same with the Paccar MX boat anchor. Take an engine designed for a cabover and drop it in a conventional and then pay a dealer $140 per hour to work on it. I know I would love having a mechanic in the cab of my truck pulling the head. Buddy got roped into overhauling an ISX in a VNL780 Volvo. Back half of the head work gets done between the seats. Run the head bolts out the pressure in the holes always blows oil everywhere. Genius design.

I can't think of a better use for a volvo than using them all for scrap metal. Volvo trucks are junk and so are their engines. I'd take a 6V71 over a Volvo engine.

I can't think of a better use for a volvo than using them all for scrap metal. Volvo trucks are junk and so are their engines. I'd take a 6V71 over a Volvo engine.

Just wait Lenny (Leiffi) will be here in a second to tell you how they're the greatest thing on the planet.

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys are working on x's but I have never had to tear the dog house out of a Volvo. It sucks, you have to turn head bolts 90 with a bar but no need to
Remove anything. Anyone doing anything else is wasting time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how you guys are working on x's but I have never had to tear the dog house out of a Volvo. It sucks, you have to turn head bolts 90 with a bar but no need to
Remove anything. Anyone doing anything else is wasting time

Easiest way is to refuse to work on anything you can't see all 6cyl. If your dumb enough to buy a truck with the motor under the cab then take it to the dealer.

I work on for cummins so we do Volvo stuff all the time, they are not that bad really. Pretty easy actually. Now a cascadia. That can go f itself

I work on for cummins so we do Volvo stuff all the time, they are not that bad really. Pretty easy actually. Now a cascadia. That can go f itself

Well honestly cummins engineers can go the same route as the Cascadia engineers. What kind of tard uses 2 cams that you have to dissemble the whole front of the engine to remove? Can pull the head on a Cat in an hour, 2+ for an ISX. Would it really had been that hard to use bearing caps like Detroit? Or allow head removal with the cam installed like Cat?

I do think that's dumb to be forced to Remove cams, not that bad when you do it often. Hard to argue with the Isx though. Its dominating the market and is still in the business if making over the road engines. I would take it over any current engine in production. How did cat allow you to remove the head with cams in place

Well honestly cummins engineers can go the same route as the Cascadia engineers. What kind of tard uses 2 cams that you have to dissemble the whole front of the engine to remove? Can pull the head on a Cat in an hour, 2+ for an ISX. Would it really had been that hard to use bearing caps like Detroit? Or allow head removal with the cam installed like Cat?

Meh. The whole cooling stack comes out pretty quick with an overhead crane. Fan hub off on some applications but upper front cover is easy off. A cap setup would difficult on the ISX though because of the rocker shaft setup.

Sent from my flashscan v2

I do think that's dumb to be forced to Remove cams, not that bad when you do it often. Hard to argue with the Isx though. Its dominating the market and is still in the business if making over the road engines. I would take it over any current engine in production. How did cat allow you to remove the head with cams in place

One cam and no bolts under it, genius idea.

Meh. The whole cooling stack comes out pretty quick with an overhead crane. Fan hub off on some applications but upper front cover is easy off. A cap setup would difficult on the ISX though because of the rocker shaft setup.

That's how I see it, the head can be on the bench in like 4 hours from the time the truck roles in the shop

Yea but wouldn't it make more sense to not have to remove that? Tell people they have to lift the cab on a Ford to do anything and they're heads pop off. Pull entire cooling package and cams to pull a head (which takes the same time) and it's just the norm.......

That's how I see it, the head can be on the bench in like 4 hours from the time the truck roles in the shop

Same truck with a Cat and it's off in 1hr. What's your shop labor rate? Don't get me wrong, they all do idiotic crap but DOHC is pretty stupid.

Last edited:
Back