Miss at idle & Blow-by from valve cover!

-Boostjunky-

Boost-A-Holic
Ok, guys! I've been lurking on this site for a short while, just trying to gather knowledge about diesels. I'm fairly new to diesel engines, but VERY well versed in gas engines.

What are some common causes for a miss at idle, and blow-by coming from the tube that runs from the valve cover to just above the front differential?

There is also some oil coming from the vent tube, as it is covering my differential, and some of the underside of the truck.

The truck runs clean when there is a load on it and it is above idle. For example, running on the freeway, you'd never know there was an issue at all. Only when you come to a stop and notice it is missing at idle do you realize there is a problem. That and the blow-by and oil underneath the truck.

Also, the miss is somewhat intermittent. Sometimes it idles perfect, but most of the time, it is missing.

Things I've recently changed on the truck:
- Installed Edge EZ pressure box

Was running a triple stack when it all went wrong. The stack goes as follows:
1) Smarty with Revo # 1 (timing set to stock. I'm basically just using the Smarty to get rid of Torque Management)
2) Edge EZ on setting # 2
3) Edge Juice w/attitude on HOT.

I did spike the EGT's to about 1640 just before the issue arose, but only for a short moment. Right when I heard my Edge alarm go off for EGT (it is set to alarm at 1600), I let out of it. I was passing somebody.

I've removed the Edge EZ to eliminate that as being a possible culprit, but the Juice and Smarty are still in use. I can't imagine they would have any bearing on the problem, especially when there is obviously something mechanically wrong (oil and blow-by make that clear).

Things I've thought of as being possible causes:
1) Cracked injector nozzle? (I've ruled out a cracked injector body since the oil level is not filling up.) Could a cracked injector nozzle cause blow-by into the crankcase? I know it can cause a miss.

2) Blown headgasket? Will a blown headgasket cause blow-by in the crankcase? I'm sure it can cause a miss.

3) Scored/damaged cylinder/piston/rings? I'm sure this could cause both a miss and blow-by in the crankcase. This is the one I fear the most.

Is there any way to check compression on these motors? I can't imagine I blew a cylinder out at my current power level.

I'm running a 64mm turbo @ 44psi, and last time at the dyno, it put down 495 HP 960 TQ, but that was before installing the Edge EZ.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thats a horrible stack. WAY to much timing. a miss at idle and blow by , sure sounds like you melted a piston or 2

Well, I set the timing to stock (adjust options menu, selected #1 for timing) using the Smarty Revo settings! I thought I made a note of that.

So, the Edge is the only box controlling timing.

The only thing the Smarty is adjusting is Torque Management.

Well, I set the timing to stock (adjust options menu, selected #1 for timing) using the Smarty Revo settings! I thought I made a note of that.

So, the Edge is the only box controlling timing.

The only thing the Smarty is adjusting is Torque Management.

edge juice hot does alot of timing plus timing from ez plus smarty timing. alot. i say meltdown

As previously mentioned, Smarty timing is turned off.

I was unaware that the EZ did timing as well. I was under the impression it was a pressure box only.

I'm sorry if I am coming off argumentative. Certainly not my intention. I am just wanting to make sure that there is no confusion as to how things are set up.

I appreciate the help you guys are offering. I am in no way ignorant to how things like this can and do happen. I fully understand the old saying, "You gotta pay to play!".

Thanks again, guys. Any other advice is welcome!

Last edited:
It would definitely be nice to know for sure if it does mess with timing at all. As I previously mentioned, I was under the impression that the EZ did pressure only, and as such, didn't have any worries about timing.

I guess one way to answer the question would be to know if boost fooling has any affect on timing.

If it does, then I can see that the EZ will have a direct affect on timing, as it does boost fooling.

I know for sure that on gasoline engines, fooling the map sensor in any way has a large impact on ignition timing advance. Hiding boost results in more ignition advance. So if fooling the map sensor on diesel rigs has an impact on timing, then I guess that would possibly answer the question.

The Edge Ez on messes with timing on VP trucks, On CR trucks all it does is pressure. I've said it alot if you have a Smarty turn the edge off as it has no where near the power as the smarty and you take a chance of them not liking each other. I run the edge just as a monitoring system thats all it's good for. At the very least you could of done is cracked a injector and if your lucky no piston meltage but I would pull the head and send the injectors somewhere to get tested.

What settings where the pressure on in the smarty? The Smarty plus the edge ez can equal alot of pressure for stock injectors to take. You might get lucky and just cracked an injector but in this case expect the worse that way your not disappointed when it is the worse. When you get it back just use the Smarty the Edge has no where near the power as the smarty anyways.

I blew a motor the same way you did way to much timing and melted down the number 4 cyclinder. That with bad fuel.

Does your blowby pulse? I recently cracked a ring on my 24V and when that happened, I had a miss at idle and the blowby coming from the valve cover would pulse as in, puff, puff, puff. you could definitely tell it was coming from one bad cylinder.

Lavon

Melted a piston or few for sure, been there done it a few times. Had a local guy melt his down on the dyno Monday. He was running Juice and a Smarty and water meth. One run on fuel he was ok then he turned the water on and blew the dipstick out and that was all she wrote. I have told him over and over not to run too much meth and get rid of the Edge stack but he would never listen to me.......

Smarty settings were as follows:
-SW # 1 (30 HP tune using timing only. This tune does not add duration or rail pressure. ONLY TIMING.)
-Timing set to stock using "Adjust Options" menu. (I can't stress this enough.)
-Torque Management set to # 4 (This is the only feature I was using the Smarty for at the time).
-Rail Pressure set to # 1 (Stock)

So, to put it simply, I basically loaded a stock tune onto the truck using the Smarty, with the exception of getting rid of torque management.

There was absolutely NO TIMING ADDED using Smarty. It was only on there to remove torque management.

I set it up this way so I could have "On the fly" adjustability using the Edge to control fuel duration and timing.

I know the Smarty makes more power than the Edge, but I didn't like smoking everyone out unintentionally every time I throttled it a little, and since the Smarty is not adjustable on the fly, I figured I'd try stacking in a relatively safe way.

We'll have to see what the injectors hold in store. I'll get them out, and see if i can find an obvious issue. Maybe I'll be able to perform a compression test while they are out before I start dismantling the engine.

Thanks again, guys!

pull your oil fill cap off and see if it puffs white smoke out like what LAmiller was saying. if it does, youve probly got a melted piston...

Smarty settings were as follows:
-SW # 1 (30 HP tune using timing only. This tune does not add duration or rail pressure. ONLY TIMING.)
-Timing set to stock using "Adjust Options" menu. (I can't stress this enough.)
-Torque Management set to # 4 (This is the only feature I was using the Smarty for at the time).
-Rail Pressure set to # 1 (Stock)

So, to put it simply, I basically loaded a stock tune onto the truck using the Smarty, with the exception of getting rid of torque management.

There was absolutely NO TIMING ADDED using Smarty. It was only on there to remove torque management.

I set it up this way so I could have "On the fly" adjustability using the Edge to control fuel duration and timing.

I know the Smarty makes more power than the Edge, but I didn't like smoking everyone out unintentionally every time I throttled it a little, and since the Smarty is not adjustable on the fly, I figured I'd try stacking in a relatively safe way.

We'll have to see what the injectors hold in store. I'll get them out, and see if i can find an obvious issue. Maybe I'll be able to perform a compression test while they are out before I start dismantling the engine.

Thanks again, guys!

all of odd numbers add timing, even when set to stock on the smarty i believe, bob can correct me if i am wrong. but i do believe stock adds timing as well.

pull your oil fill cap off and see if it puffs white smoke out like what LAmiller was saying. if it does, youve probly got a melted piston...

Well, I think we have a winner. I pulled the oil cap off, and sure enough, it almost blew the cap out of my hand while unscrewing it.

Quite a bit of volume coming from there.

Well ****...I guess my worst suspicion was the correct suspicion.

Thanks again, guys. You've been very helpful. Guess I know what I need to do next.

Ok, so what are the chances that someone might know indefinitely whether or not you can swap a 6.7L long block into a 5.9L platform, and use the 5.9L electronics to control it?

So far from the reading I've done, the consensus seems to be that the 6.7L injectors are VERY similar, if not the same as the 03-04.5 injectors, and that the 5.9L CR PCM should not have a problem controlling them.

How about the crank Toner Wheel (aka trigger wheel)? Is the encoding the same for the 6.7 as the 5.9?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Ok, so what are the chances that someone might know indefinitely whether or not you can swap a 6.7L long block into a 5.9L platform, and use the 5.9L electronics to control it?

So far from the reading I've done, the consensus seems to be that the 6.7L injectors are VERY similar, if not the same as the 03-04.5 injectors, and that the 5.9L CR PCM should not have a problem controlling them.

How about the crank Toner Wheel (aka trigger wheel)? Is the encoding the same for the 6.7 as the 5.9?

Anybody have any experience with this?

yes you can swap in a 6.7 short block. call Reb in the number listed in my sig. he can help you in whatever you need. tell him adam sent you.

Back