I'm done

As you know,.. heat makes things expand. These are not freeze plugs in the true since of the word. They are called soft plugs and you have 11 or 12 in the interior of your head. It's worse than a freeze plug when it goes as it pumps ALL your antifreeze into the oil in a matter of a few minutes. If you don't believe this is a problem then I can't believe you claim to be a mechanic. Call a Cummins or Dodge dealer and ask 'em if running a cold engine at 4k rpm and blowing one of these is catasthropic. Please!

I never said they wont fail, nor did I say that is wont kill the engine. I exactly what anti freeze will do oil. Its still a tin plug that holds coolant in.

A couple of things to add:

First, the CTD develops over 75psi in the coolant system at rated RPM directly after a cold start; as a matter of fact, there isn't a significant difference between hot & cold max coolant pressures at medium to high RPM.
That's why 6.7Ls have a larger water pump pulley, to reduce pressure.

Second, Murphy's Law proves that everything has to break sometime... and sometimes it breaks in the shop.

So the engine being cold had nothing to do with the coolant pressure. And the entire failure comes down to it being turned 800rpm more that it should. Im I the only one that see's that as just a coincidence?

The whole thing is just murphy's law too me.

I don't think I ever heard him crying in this thread. I know it doesn't seem to bother you but I would never hot rod my engine (gas or diesel) untill it is up to opperating temp. Even when I was running IMCA modified and had engines built for racing use only I would make sure they are up to temp before I get on it hard. The engines are machined to be in correct tollerances when warm not cold. I would assume it is common sense to not hot rod a cold engine but i guess I was wrong. I am an auto tech, in the feild for 15years and I don't take my trucks or cars to have them worked on, but if I did and this same **** happened to me, I WOULD HOLD THE SHOP OWNER RESPONSABLE ALSO. He should have known not to drive it like that when it was cold. If it was warm and the plug popped out then I think he was just testdriving it to make sure it was fixed correctly, but doing it cold was just plain disregard for others property.$.02

The thing is I didnt give a damn about my engine, I knew when it blew I had an excuse to build a better one. And this is still the thing, if the engine was cold like he said, the clearances would be tighter. That includes the soft plugs.

Im not intentionaly trying to attack anyone. Ive delt with chit similar too this for years. Very rarely to the owners want to accept that the failure was impending.

You seriously need to think objectively on this before you go to court. The whole thing is way to circumstantial and I think it will just be a waste of time.

Here is one of the reasons the plugs blow int he head, this is coming from someone who has blown about 4 of them, and since I recognized this problem, it has been almost a year since I have blown one.

The thermostat is closed, coolant in the sytem is cold. You romp on the throttle, cast iron in the head gets hot, heating the water up with it. Thermostat opens, cold water rushes in, hits the freeze plugs and the shrink up and poof, you push them out.

I now bring my coolant up to temp before I pull, and haven't popped a plug yet. Before the coolant would be about 100-120 before I hooked.

Check this out. I had taken my truck to a credible shop to get gauges put in it. I had the gauges and everything. I dropped the truck off at about 9 in the morning at about 1:30 I told my girl let's ride up there and see what's taking so long. Turn onto the road that the shop is on and almost pull into the parking lot and then I see my truck pull from around the corner and head for the street. I told my girl to follow him but she slams on brakes LOL so I told just keep going , so we pass the shop as the guy is trying to pull out. Thee next thing that happens is this guy comes flying up behind us and gets right on our bumper so we pull over and let him go by when we let him go by he just nails it too the floor and then proceeds to go to lunch or rag my truck or whatever. We turn around and head back to the shop I go in and ask the little fella behind the desk why they are driving my truck like a racecar ( I am the only one that gets to do that LOL) he says that guys out best mechanic and he started to get all flustered and panties in a wod LOL. The mechanic was gone for about 20 minutes! When he gets back I walk up to him and ask can I talk to you outside? We go outside and I turn around and drop kicked him in the face LOL not really wanted too though. I asked hi
why were you dogging on my truck? He said I wasn't even getting on it. When I described the car to him that was behind him when he left the parking lot then he knew that I had saw what he did, and his response was I was just checking the guages making sure they worked. Here is a word of advice to everyone turn the truck down as much as you can. Luckly I only had the bdtd then and I took it out. Just know you shops.

Mental note.... If any shop ever works on my truck the Smarty program will be removed and the Smarty is coming with me.

I need to lear n from other peoples mistakes. I don't have enough time to make them all myself.

As much aggrevation as this thread has caused, I am glad that I read it. I can not afford to let this happen to me.

Just had something similiar happen to my truck about 8 months ago. Took the truck in for a rotate and ballance. Had the Smarty on level 7 and my Quad box with pressure tune off. Guy drove my truck after the balance. I got in the truck and the Quad box was on tune 3, when it was on tune 0 before. I got lucky, truck was fine, but I was pissed.

Back