Truckers, lets see your rigs!

That's not true. Your sales people will say that. Your mechanics know the difference and all suggest doing **** right. Just because it's preached at a sales level doesn't mean people are dumb to doing things right. 90 percent of guys will tell you exactly what problems are

I don't mean any disrespect from my previous post, however you can always tell a mechanic that's been factory trained. It's not their fault either, if your only experience with something is what they pounded into your head in your tech classes your going to come out of there thinking what they say is written in stone. Take Cat liner protrusion for example, book says (which would be the same crap they teach at school). Notice the part in red, a factory trained guy will tell you your .002 is "within spec" and bolt it back together. Someone that's been down this road and paid out of pocket to fix this will be a tad bit reluctant to believe the mechanic that told him 50k oil changes is "within spec" when it was taught by the same guys that feels this is acceptable.
Table 2 Specifications Liner Projection
0.025 to 0.152 mm (0.0010 to 0.0060 inch) Maximum Variation In Each Liner
0.051 mm (0.0020 inch) Maximum Average Variation Between Adjacent Liners
0.051 mm (0.0020 inch) Maximum Variation Between All Liners
0.102 mm (0.0040 inch)

I went to a tech school and know many others that did across the nation and not a single one will agree that 50k oil changes are good. We have all seen what can happen from it. I have yet to find a tech school that doesn't push proper maintenance intervals. Same with factory training. I know on the cummins side of it , we teach what is right and not always what the sales men push to the customer. I get what your saying completely that to many people push the OK or it might work for a little bit type repairs. But to say tech schools and factory training pushes that is incorrect.

one look at how the faulty emission systems are handle on any truck or engine for that matter kind of shines a light on doing what your told versus what is right. It would honestly bother me to work on some of these trucks and send them back out on the road knowing that they will fail again.

Sooo, what can cause a B model to put coolant in the oil? Doesn't have but maybe 2-300,000 on an overhaul. Truck has sat for about 2 years, started every once in a while. Charged the batteries and got it out the other day because its going back on the road this summer. Check the oil after it had ran for 30 minutes or so the day before and it was over full and had a milky color. Find it hard to believe electrolysis got to it, head gasket or something maybe? I cant hardly think its just condensation from sitting that long lol. Really put a damn damper on my day. I'll be pressure checking the radiator in the next day or two.

Sooo, what can cause a B model to put coolant in the oil? Doesn't have but maybe 2-300,000 on an overhaul. Truck has sat for about 2 years, started every once in a while. Charged the batteries and got it out the other day because its going back on the road this summer. Check the oil after it had ran for 30 minutes or so the day before and it was over full and had a milky color. Find it hard to believe electrolysis got to it, head gasket or something maybe? I cant hardly think its just condensation from sitting that long lol. Really put a damn damper on my day. I'll be pressure checking the radiator in the next day or two.

If I was a betting man I would say oil cooler, seems to be a problem area for the b's and c's.

I change oils at recommended intervals, usually around 35-40 thousand kilometres. Fleets use 90-120 thousand intervals. I dont hear much oil related problems. I have seen some engines opened at about 1million for some reason and they usually still have honing marks in the liners and bearings are fine.

I've seen them get outran by damn near everything else on the road, they're gutless piles of scrap metal.

Have you seen a Volvo fail bearings or head gaskets ? I havent.
The problem with a Volvo engine is it's in a Volvo truck. It's like having a gold nugget wrapped in a rattling leaking turd.

How is the MAN engine over there that's supposed to be similar to the Maxxforce 13 here? I know currently the can't give them away here because of the emissions problems but I never hear about the actual engines reliability.

Coolant in oil with out going the other way isn't the oil cooler, water in oil is most likely lower o-ring leaking on liner, a common problem with trucks that set.

Coolant in oil with out going the other way isn't the oil cooler, water in oil is most likely lower o-ring leaking on liner, a common problem with trucks that set.

Unless your using the same radiator cap as this genius and have a cracked liner/head/head gasket and 70psi+ of coolant pressure. Lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426549140.462810.jpg

Oh it won't. It's a 2012 ISX and he's in for a big surprise. Bet the replacement cap is cheaper than the tank when it blows.

But that's one way to get coolant in the oil. And/or a dent in your hood. Silly truckdrivers!

Last edited:
For any of you guys that have put hardwood floors in your trucks, how have you secured the wood floor to the truck floor?

I was thinking liquid nails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back