Truckers, lets see your rigs!

99 379
Emodel

Shut the truck off for less than two hours maybe, and when you start it again, the speedometer is 15-20 mph fast? Any hints?

d20d9a65bbbfeb1e5426e90bc70f7753.jpg

What's the life expectancy out of an ISX? He usually runs his truck to 1 million miles, just trying to decide if it makes sense for this truck to make a million without a rebuild?
agree with the others. Stock....no way. "fixed" and they're pretty reliable. Just tore one apart that had 1.2mil that was "fixed" at 300k. Was still in great shape inside, if the truck it was in hadn't been totaled it would have still been running. It was just overhauled it and put it in a glider.

Now the bad, cummins parts are 'spensive. Injectors are over $600 each ($100 more than Cat), metering and timing actuators are expensive too. The good part is they usually last quite a while. Long oil changes are a huge no no on these. Every one that went 30k or so on a service almost always needed cam's/rockers. The ones running 10/15k intervals are almost always 100% better, cat doesn't seem to matter, IMO it's the fact Cat has twice the oil pressure. The one here that had 1.2mil is having small issues now. Fresh overhaul but now small parts are failing actuators, injectors, ECM, Jake harness ect. Doesn't seem like a big deal but that's about $8000 worth of parts. VGT's die quite often stock, "fixed" they seem to live way longer. Remove it and you lose the 3rd jake stage but it's not a huge deal.

I would say it would be hit or miss, I know of a few that have made it that far but have had a lot of other things fail. Between actuators and cams they are a expensive engine to operate. IMHO

It won't make it to a million untouched, maybe 600k if he's lucky. Unless the egr, dpf and all associated garbage is removed.

agree with the others. Stock....no way. "fixed" and they're pretty reliable. Just tore one apart that had 1.2mil that was "fixed" at 300k. Was still in great shape inside, if the truck it was in hadn't been totaled it would have still been running. It was just overhauled it and put it in a glider.

Now the bad, cummins parts are 'spensive. Injectors are over $600 each ($100 more than Cat), metering and timing actuators are expensive too. The good part is they usually last quite a while. Long oil changes are a huge no no on these. Every one that went 30k or so on a service almost always needed cam's/rockers. The ones running 10/15k intervals are almost always 100% better, cat doesn't seem to matter, IMO it's the fact Cat has twice the oil pressure. The one here that had 1.2mil is having small issues now. Fresh overhaul but now small parts are failing actuators, injectors, ECM, Jake harness ect. Doesn't seem like a big deal but that's about $8000 worth of parts. VGT's die quite often stock, "fixed" they seem to live way longer. Remove it and you lose the 3rd jake stage but it's not a huge deal.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks a lot guys, I'll pass along the info. I'm pretty sure he is going after the truck next week. Hopefully he deletes it sooner rather than later.

What's the life expectancy out of an ISX? He usually runs his truck to 1 million miles, just trying to decide if it makes sense for this truck to make a million without a rebuild?
Not an ISX. Their life keeps dropping. Every situation is different but a million is rare. I'm always looking at trucks for sale and day cabs seem to have a lot of overhauls around 500k or less.

Neighbor went with ISX in 2014 T680 and T660, both couldn't make it to 300k before overhaul. Went with a Paccar in the next T680.

I will agree with the others that fixing them should make all the difference in the world. I know of enough trucks that are very happy after the fix.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It pulled tankers, so I'm not sure if it was running pumps or something?

Curious if it's something to be scared of or anything in particular to look at on it? Or run like hell!?!
Location of the truck and specs can tell you a lot.

15k? That doesn't take long. The OEMs are recommending up to 50k and more.

What were the oil tests showing? I know an EPA07 motor is hard on oil but damn.

Forgot to add this gem I found online the other day lol. The volvo vent was what caught my eye. Inside it's got some interesting custom work as well.

28e3f87c3060eac9d8866a07a39c89f4.jpg

Finally got rid of the rusty steelies on the fruitliner.

f8bf28db824d152445ead9dc1fac8d66.jpg

Sharp truck one of the other milk haulers has. Most trucks up there are pretty nice.

62eba6a7c5b00b0ef62fd6a90f8c0d8c.jpg

Last edited:

It's a crying shame a truck that looks that good has so many demons. I hate to be the pessimist here but sounds like you almost might benefit from just biting the bullet and getting a new wiring harness all together with all the electrical issues you're having. I'm not sure what the cost would be but between all the little bugs and potential downtime from each issue it may end up saving money in the long run if the boss plans of keeping the truck.

It's a crying shame a truck that looks that good has so many demons. I hate to be the pessimist here but sounds like you almost might benefit from just biting the bullet and getting a new wiring harness all together with all the electrical issues you're having. I'm not sure what the cost would be but between all the little bugs and potential downtime from each issue it may end up saving money in the long run if the boss plans of keeping the truck.

Trucks sat a lot in its previous life. Anything it does is nothing that technically can't keep it from making money. Just stuff we gotta fix as we go. All in time. It truly runs out and drives good.

15k? That doesn't take long. The OEMs are recommending up to 50k and more.

What were the oil tests showing? I know an EPA07 motor is hard on oil but damn.
OEM's don't give a damn. They're after the "Lowest cost of ownership" on paper. If they tell you you can run it 100k before oil changes the odds are in their favor it will make it out of warranty before you see parts failures. The pencil pushers in the office at a fleet will do the math and figure what that would save in the life they will own that truck and jump all over it. However after the warranty is up and you see what those long intervals have done to parts what have you saved? If your a big fleet and buy 500 trucks and only keep them for 400k miles then by all means run it 50k. But the next guy that buys it or the owner operator that keeps truck 1mil is going to pay for that decision.

I've heard of big fleets here changing oil until they get 300k and never changing it again. They might run them 100k more and never once pull the plug.

Oil samples are like a fat guy getting on the scales. If it comes back with high copper content what are you going to do about it? If the answer is "probably nothing" then what was the point? In the big picture of owning a truck the cost of an oil change is trivial. Would do most of these guys good to crawl under it once in a while and see what is going on. Most guys spend more time at the buffet than on a creeper.:hehe:

My father has been an owner operator for most of his driving career. He's had 3 different trucks in that time period, a 3406a, 3406b and 3406c. He changes the oil religiously at 10,000 miles and samples every oil change. He has got folders and folders full of oil samples.

The only issues he's ever had with any of his engines was water in the oil. Turned out to be a leaking injector cup. He figured it out through oil samples.

IMHO, there is no question oil samples should be taken.

Our fleet gets the oil changed once a month and we also sample every oil change. Sitting at over a million miles on an unopened engine and blowby that's within spec, my truck had a very easy life with its previous owner and my boss is trying to keep it that way. Proper maintenance (or lack thereof) can make or break an O/O

Maybe through Cat and Cummins they're that much ;)

We pay much much less.

Maybe through Cat and Cummins they're that much ;)

We pay much much less.

I've heard IPD Cat injectors are good but time is money and no one stocks them. Tried CDS Cat injectors and they were worse than Cat which is saying something.

When a guy get's almost a million out of a stock set it's hard to convince them to try aftermarket to save a few $$.

I've heard IPD Cat injectors are good but time is money and no one stocks them. Tried CDS Cat injectors and they were worse than Cat which is saying something.

When a guy get's almost a million out of a stock set it's hard to convince them to try aftermarket to save a few $$.

Truthful. We actually had some issues with our c10 and c12 injectors through cat. Found a place in Canada during that time that we have some darn good luck with.

They gave a 5 year permit to test this stupidity in Finland between Oulu and Helsinki, about 600 kilometres, not the best road especially in winter. 34 meters and max 90 tonnes.

Attachments

• xlarge-ekorekka2_207843_8.jpg
    xlarge-ekorekka2_207843_8.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Back