3126 cat n an ambulance chassis

dieselbeef

dick doggin
opinions?..looking at one with all air ride and brakes and Allison 6 speed and 4 door with air ride seats and cab.

how this engine..wont be pulling more than 25k mostly..has a 430 rear with a dbl overdrive I believe...19.9..230k..overall a good pkg from a friend of mine using it to haul horses and seqpt on the ranch....thinking 15k? no pics yet....

They’re ok, HUEI fuel so they’re limited on power without new injectors but can easily wax a 466. Bad injector o rings will make them burn oil, check blow-by because they’re like the 5.9/6.7 and the blocks aren’t sleeved so an overhaul means pulling the motor. If it’s higher HP now an ecm flash can make them scoot.

They weren't very popular engines here. We sold the last 100 2004 model buses we had with the 3126 a year ago. In the past 4 years we spent $265K on them. They just got to be too expensive to keep. They looked at doing Cummins repowers on them but that wasn't practical, either. Lots of oil leaks, fuel injectors and HEUI pumps, and quite a few ECM's and Engine harnesses.

What's the HP rating? Back when they were popular, I did notice less trouble from the 250/300/330hp ratings. The 210's were a boat anchor with failures all around. Mostly injectors.

gahhhh. you guys aint telling me what I wanted to hear..it was a county ambulance. has an oil leak on the turbo return line but the rest seems ok....not sure of the rating but the owner told me it was 275 or 300...I got a cpl pics.....it should do all I need it to..my dodge is barely enough..does it all..but couldn't do any more..this one should have n easy life pulling my junk....itll sit more than it runs.....the flatbed will have to go up for sale..ive owned it since 03..its an 02....thatll be hard....but for this truck the 15000 is worth the upgrqde..I can probly get 12 for the dodge

Had one in a fl60. But it was worn out. Had bad compression and would push fuel in to the cooling system. Probably just bad injector cups. I kind of had a bad taste for them until we looked at another truck with the same motor. Total different story, it started right up in the cold made good power etc.

Even though ours was pretty pooched and cold blooded once warmed up it always ran smooth. I'd think like stated above if the injectors are good it should be alright. We had a liquid tank on it and fully loaded we would be around 30k and it handled it fine.

Those buses we sold went for an average of less than $1000. They all passed state inspection.

heres what I got

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_171519058_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191008_171519058_HDR.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191008_171610684.jpg
    IMG_20191008_171610684.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191008_171535777_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191008_171535777_HDR.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
1000 for the buses? wow..cheap engines then...haven't read anything really bad about em. hes a pretty good friend of mine..it don't have any issue or he would tell me. its a good price for that kinda truck far as I can tell. 15k? I'm gonna see if he will take 12500...I doubt it but...likely gonna buy it..i figure I can sell it for 15 if I don't like it

Could always follow Jory's lead and swap an 8.3 Cummins into it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yeah really but itll do all I need it to..easily and comfy...really just wanna know how good the chassis and the engine is reliability wise

I like the 3126 when they drive past the shop. Not so much when they are in the shop.

I like the 3126 when they drive past the shop. Not so much when they are in the shop.

great..thanks a lot

adam..he thinks it 275 or 300 ish...yeah likely has high idle hrs..but its not 0k either....he uses it sam as I will..been good to him so far..he bought a new one so I get this at a fair price....ill probly take a chance...theres cheaper..saw one with a day cab for 9000..this is upgraded to all that so...

HP can go to 370. Working on them isn’t hard, it’s what they’re usually in that makes them hard. When the engine is under the damn cab it doesn’t matter what brand it is.

If you end up taking care of that turbo oil leak, reseal the oil cooler/filter base while you're there. If it's not leaking already it won't be long.

Back