anyone else ever not liked their smarty?

Hey guys, you don't need 2 Smarty's to compare 2 different programs. Just load one program up on the truck and then update your Smarty with the 2nd one. After a couple runs on program 1 you can update your ECM with the 2nd program.

I've done this a few times comparing 4.3 and 4.4, 4.2 and 4.4, and 4.4 and current Wild programming. My findings were that all versions produced about the same peak power, but not all at the same RPM's.

At the track I compared 4.4 and 4.2. Ran a 13.95 and 13.86 with 4.4 and a 13.95 with 4.2. To be fair, I did only launch the 4.2 at around 12psi when I normally launch at around 16psi. I still don't see an extra 4psi at launch bringing the time down any lower than 13.86 though, so IMO they performed almost exactly the same.

On the dyno I compared 4.4 and current Wild. Both programs made within 2 peak HP of each other, but 4.4 had an extra 105lbs of TQ. 4.4 also produced peak power about 400-500RPM earlier than the current Wild.

I also compared 4.3 and 4.4 on the dyno. Both programs produced almost identical numbers. Peak power was within 3hp of each other and occurred at exactly the same RPM.

The only real difference I notice between them all is that 4.4 has much more linear throttle sensitivity/positioning. I don't really think it's any less responsive, just smoother throughout the entire throttle range. With the current Wild and other Betas there doesn't seem to be any difference between 3/4 and full throttle. It's like all the power is crammed into the first 50% of the throttle positioning. I like to have more power left when I'm only halfway to the floor! $.02

JustinR said:
Hey guys, you don't need 2 Smarty's to compare 2 different programs. Just load one program up on the truck and then update your Smarty with the 2nd one. After a couple runs on program 1 you can update your ECM with the 2nd program.

I've done this a few times comparing 4.3 and 4.4, 4.2 and 4.4, and 4.4 and current Wild programming. My findings were that all versions produced about the same peak power, but not all at the same RPM's.

At the track I compared 4.4 and 4.2. Ran a 13.95 and 13.86 with 4.4 and a 13.95 with 4.2. To be fair, I did only launch the 4.2 at around 12psi when I normally launch at around 16psi. I still don't see an extra 4psi at launch bringing the time down any lower than 13.86 though, so IMO they performed almost exactly the same.

On the dyno I compared 4.4 and current Wild. Both programs made within 2 peak HP of each other, but 4.4 had an extra 105lbs of TQ. 4.4 also produced peak power about 400-500RPM earlier than the current Wild.

I also compared 4.3 and 4.4 on the dyno. Both programs produced almost identical numbers. Peak power was within 3hp of each other and occurred at exactly the same RPM.

The only real difference I notice between them all is that 4.4 has much more linear throttle sensitivity/positioning. I don't really think it's any less responsive, just smoother throughout the entire throttle range. With the current Wild and other Betas there doesn't seem to be any difference between 3/4 and full throttle. It's like all the power is crammed into the first 50% of the throttle positioning. I like to have more power left when I'm only halfway to the floor! $.02

Nice info if ya ask me .... no one did ... but im just saying ... :pop: :Cheer:

JustinR said:

You are right. I didn't think about loading one in the truck and then up loading the other to the Smarty but sence you've allready done that for us no need to try it.
Thanks JustinR for the post

very nice info justin. it was exactly the way i figured it to be. the only 3programs that i have been around are the wild, 4.3, and 4.4. but between the 4.3 and 4.4 i feel that the 4.3 comes on faster. but in the end they both seems to have the same end result. which is very impressive to say the least.

Here's a few data logs from the track if anyone's interested. Line 1 gives the ET, MPH, and beta version used...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/jrussell3176/Trucks/060807_003.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/jrussell3176/Trucks/060807_002.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/jrussell3176/Trucks/060807_001.jpg

I'm hoping to hit T & T on Wednesday and try out the new turbo. I also might try comparing 4.4 and current Wild stacked with a Quad XZT. Maybe if I get brave enough I'll take a run with the XZT and 4.4 stacked.

The scan program/tool I used isn't capable of logging EGT's. I would really like to see what they do from start to finish, but all I have is a max recall reading from my EGT gauge. If I remember correctly max EGT's were around 1580 on all three runs.

JustinR said:
The scan program/tool I used isn't capable of logging EGT's. I would really like to see what they do from start to finish, but all I have is a max recall reading from my EGT gauge. If I remember correctly max EGT's were around 1580 on all three runs.
Hoowee:ft: you need some air. I only see arround 1300-1350 in the 1/4.
I'm doing a milage test on 4.4 now and will report later.
Billy

Last edited:
Billyram said:
Hoowee:ft: you need some air. I only see arround 1300-1350 in the 1/4.
I'm doing a milage test on 4.4 now and will report later.
Billy

You're right about that! Those runs were with the stocker. I just installed an HTT 64/71/13ss and will be hitting the track this Wednesday. :rockwoot:

More data logs to come...

JustinR said:

Which scan tool program do you use?

-Thanks

Back