1957 Dodge Power Wagon , 4-Linked on Bags, Cummins

Good purchase on the mill. Welds look good too. I just bought a Millermatic 190 MIG. Personally, I got it for doing 1/4" and less usually. I find myself using stick (6010/7018) for structural and thick stuff. It might be because my welds never look as good as yours though on MIG :D

Are you using flux core or running 75/25 shielding gas?

Most guys with 35 years of welding experience dont have the slightest clue how to run any piece of equipment made in the last 10 years or so.

Anything Miller works great...if you know how to use it.

Find a used XMT 350...really had to beat...especially if its a MPa.

That's the issue I run into. I want to do 3/8-1/2, a machine capable of that is $$$.

I figured you would need something for heavy work based on the suspension in this thread. sucks they are $$$$. I really would like a water cooled torch so I didn't have to stop and wait for mine to cool off.

someone got it. If you need something like that changed, please send us a PM, we have a very loose set of rules on this forum, and don't read every post.

Wish I had just a smidge of your fab skills...

Take a vacation to Maine, garage door is always open. :Cheer:

As some of you might've seen I got the tires in. But am not totally sold on the size. Gonna see what 40x15.5 looks like.

IMG_0833_zps9ejcsk39.jpg

Also...you can weld anything with even a Miller 180 if the joint is prepped (ie bevel) right and you have the ability to preheat thicker material.

I can vouch that the Trail Grapplers will wear out 2x as fast and not feel as planted under a 8,000 lb truck. This will be lighter...but food for thought.

Also...you can weld anything with even a Miller 180 if the joint is prepped (ie bevel) right and you have the ability to preheat thicker material.
You can weld as heavy material as you want the a small welder, you just have to do it in multiple passes, and may hit the duty cycle and have to let the machine cool. My brother-in-law has a 140 lincoln that has been used to weld a ton of stuff, runs great, just need to pay attention to the prep on the bigger stuff and make multiple passes.

I can vouch that the Trail Grapplers will wear out 2x as fast and not feel as planted under a 8,000 lb truck. This will be lighter...but food for thought.

Yeah, I had a friend tell me the exact opposite today.

These days I don't believe anyone on tires except myself.

Great welding! I like those tires, but the 40's should fill the gap better IMO. I had a friend that said the same thing when I got my 16.5 BFG's. I figured I'd be happy to put 10k on the truck either way. :)

Last edited:
I've decided I definitley need to get my eggs in a basket and get a bigger welder. Welding this 3/8" gooseneck plate was a little tough with the smaller machine. As others have said, beveling every single joint over just getting a bigger machine doesn't make much sense. Still not sold on getting a Miller, I think the drive mechanism sucks! It's not even close to fluid and smooth like it should be.

Anyways, gooseneck hitch is all welded up, and that meant I could get the track bar done. Only thing left is to weld on shock mounts and drill the holes in the frame to fix it all together.

Today I picked up an IH Scout II power steering box in the next state over, the guy said it had been on their shelf since 1985. :rockwoot: The crucial part about this box is that it mounts on the outside of the frame, and the pitman points forward. Rare design...

The last photo is of the rear aired all the way down. Lateral movement is only 1/4".

IMG_0856_zpsl8wwh8y4.jpg

IMG_0857_zps7utn7kbt.jpg

IMG_0859_zpsjkl8rfgz.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsac2q2xmo.jpg

IMG_0862_zpsxfaqfbbi.jpg

I have no idea what you are looking to spend on a welder or what all you need it to do, but this is what I got for the shop. It will do flux core, MIG, TIG, stick, carbon arc gouging, and also do pulse on pulse which is super cool for aluminum and stainless as well as thin material of any type.
You say you don't use flux core, but try dual shield. It's flux core with a cover gas. Basically flux core/mig hybrid. It's super easy to run, easy to clean, better penetration typically, easier to run uphill, and is a lot more tolerant of materials that are dirty/rusty if that is a concern. It's all I use for carbon steel anymore.
Welds look good as is by the way. Super cool project.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2403-2

Last edited:
Back