1957 Dodge Power Wagon , 4-Linked on Bags, Cummins

Nor'Easter

I felt it was time to get this thread rolling. Since my Twin turbo Fummins is basically done I can now dedicate garage space to my 1957 Power Wagon.

The build will be as follows:

'96 180hp Cummins, mild pump mods, injectors, maybe a 62 or 63mm turbo.

NV5600, after towing with my friends 24v 6 speed, I'll never buy another 4500

NP241DHD, currently 23 spline. The input swap is very easy and I've done it before.

Narrow DRW Dana 80, from a cab and chassis truck. This will help keep the whole vehicle from being as wide as a normal dually. Outside to outside of the tires will be under 90"

Standard DRW Dana 60 in front.

Full air bag suspension, 100% fabbed by myself, only utilizing some premade bag brackets. Rear will be parallel four link with track bar, front will be a triangulated 2 link with track bar. 2"x.25 wall DOM, 3/8" brackets all around.

Body will be left stock as it carries the Maine Forest Service badges, a piece of history that could not be duplicated properly. I'll build a doghouse to let the engine sit under the cowl of the cab.

Rear will carry some sort of flatbed with a bumper and gooseneck hitch. Unsure if I'll make it or buy one. Really depends on how wide the tires end up being.

That's all for tonight! I'll update this tomorrow evening with some more progress. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

IMG_3694_zpskoeuihax.jpg

in on this one for sure. what are you going to do about the shifter being almost to the back of the cab lol? my dad as '50

You will keep the stock frame and steering? :poke:

Also do you have any idea where I can buy windshield frame and good driver door for similar PowerWagon?

I'm wrapping up my 51 M37 conversion. I have it on the road now, just need to finish up the floor pans. You have Lots of work ahead of you, try to stay motivated is the hardest part a few hours a day is great if you can. So many projects get half way done and people throw in the towel. Good luck, watch some conversion vids and google images helps for motivation when you don't feel like going to work on it. It helped me out tremendously!

Here's a pic from when I got the front fenders back on:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys, it keeps me going. This truck will be much easier than my Ford which took 2-1/2 years. I plan to have the PW driving for next spring, should funds allow.

Astross, I have not decided on steering yet. It needs to be built around the 4 link suspension. I may use the stock shaft and gear box, and add hydraulic rams to assist in non-moving turns of the wheels. I do have a stock Dodge steering box which I may use on the inside of the frame should the crossmember allow.

The frame will stay 100% intact should I ever choose to use it for a different purpose. At this time I don't know of anyone selling a window frame. They are not very complicated though, and could be easily replicated by a skillful tin knocker.

Nothing photo worthy to share but I have received 40 feet of 2"x.25" DOM tubing for all the links and track bars.

Because the axle is pretty much dead center on the back of the frame, I decided I wanted to push it to the rear a few inches. The issue with that however is I start to reduce the clearance I have for the bag between the axle tube and the jump in the frame. My solution is to mount the bag slightly forward on the axle instead of centered over it. This will also help control axle wrap and reduce wear on the joints.

Currently waiting for all my rod ends and bushings from Ruff Stuff.

Last edited:
Ill be loving this build cab is basically the same as my 39 u will still have aome more room in the nose than mine but still tight. Excited to see your link set up as i will probably steal some ideas!
So that 80 out back puts the outside wheels at about the same as the front? That would solve my dually issue of being far to wide.

Also i have a spare windshield frame and other misc power wagon parts if anyone needs stuff pm me

Ill be loving this build cab is basically the same as my 39 u will still have aome more room in the nose than mine but still tight. Excited to see your link set up as i will probably steal some ideas!
So that 80 out back puts the outside wheels at about the same as the front? That would solve my dually issue of being far to wide.

Also i have a spare windshield frame and other misc power wagon parts if anyone needs stuff pm me

The DRW D60 puts stock tire width at the same width as the fenders.

The C&C D80 puts the tires past the front tires but not as much as a non C&C DRW D80.

I stumbled across a couple of 22.5s yesterday. Still looking for more but having these will help me finalize the front axle brackets where space is tighter. Rear brackets are being cut this week.

IMG_3950_zps2t61pbfj.jpg

Making some headway...

Stock PWs came with a weird pintle hitch, wanted to be able to use a standard 2".

Starter in on rear 4 link. One side is just about done, just need to add the outside plate and then weld them together.

image5_zpsi4r3cfvh.jpeg

image4_zpsnsxzpioh.jpeg

image6_zpsxzyo0wux.jpeg

image2_zpsv2votij8.jpeg

image3_zpsvuogdpf9.jpeg

image7_zpskb5hzvfj.jpeg

image8_zpsmnohlhs6.jpeg

Back