Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
Today I managed to get my Steed Speed t4 straight flange manifold on with its single waste gate port blocked off with the Grim Speed plate and clamp and two 1/8" pipe thread ports on the bottom. The manifold went on extremely easily with the use of some m10 1.5 pitch 35mm long hardened alen head bolts purchased extremely cheap from Fastenal (literally 3 to 4 times cheaper than Ace). The only issue was with the turbo oil supply line which was fixed easily by taking the bent portion of the lines termination and placing that bent portion at the filter head instead of at the turbo (yours may already be like this I've had so many turbos on this truck I can't recall if I ever switched it around). Here are a few pics of the manifold on. The spool flange from SDX should arrive tomorrow and I should have it on and up and running by the weekend's end at the latest. The current turbo is a 64/71 t4 .91 from Forced. Plan is to add an s482 down the road under the spool flanged 64/71 and a gate if need be.

Good bit of advice: If you think you will need to extend the factory rubber oil drain from the turbo be prepared to pay alot of money for the 7/8" ID line which is extremely hard to find (went to typical autozones, napa, big truck stores, hydraulic stores, etc.).

As you can see here the straight flange manifold does not appear to require down pipe modifications to the silver line down pipe I run. Ofcourse final fitting will confirm this:
IMG_2220.jpg

Here you can see the bottom placement of the pyro probe and the capped off wastegate port with the water lines wrapped in high heat tape to prevent any issues. The lines are zip tied to the trans fluid level tube and all this is semi temporary given most of this will need changed up with the addition of a gate (if necessary) and the bottom turbo and piping:
IMG_2219.jpg

Just another shot. In the bottom right of the photograph you can see the bent portion of the oil supply line at the filter head:
IMG_2218.jpg

Here is a close up of number 1 and how aggressive the manifold comes out and away vs the much closer to the head stock manifold:
IMG_2217.jpg

Another of number 1:
IMG_2216.jpg

Another overall:
IMG_2215.jpg

One from the top:
IMG_2221.jpg

I don't believe the factory intercooler pipe is going to have any issues given I have the BD boot far down the pipe and it has room to extend. Think I have some room in the super heavy duty (can't remember the brand) boot right at the intercooler as well. Further, my intake is extremely simple so I don't expect any issues there. I will update this thread hopefully by sunday with pictures and driving impressions with the spool flange installed!!! Been waiting for this one for a long time!

The flange just arrived. A few pics. Testing with a somewhat leaky quick hose with air gun yielded about the same results as what Weston has reported (18 cracking, 25 half way or so open, full open at 30psi).

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Allen screws securing the butterfly to the shaft. They are welded in the back to alleviate chance of them backing out.
IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

A very exact match here. I have not machined anything to fit but did knock down the bulges for the bolt holes when I first put this turbo on with the previous ported stock manifold.
IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

Hope to have everything up and running today. The only thing that worries me is the boost line is pointed toward the down pipe. May need to get a little creative there but then again maybe just fine will know when I get everything together.

Last edited:
Stud placement on the actuator limits where the hose connection can be placed, placing the actuator on the bottom side does give a bit more clearance.

Stud placement on the actuator limits where the hose connection can be placed, placing the actuator on the bottom side does give a bit more clearance.

It appears the line will clear the downpipe but it is close. I will solve any possible heat issue with some more of the heat tape seen on the water lines in the first post. No big deal is this instance!

Can't wait to hear the results. I tried calling them friday to see if they had any t3s available but didn't get ahold of anyone. How much will this move the turbo out Nick?

Nick flipped the actuator 180°, they actuators have been moved to the bottom as an update, unless specified. The T4 is 1.5" thick, and the T3's should be ready shortly.

The downpipe does in fact need extended and I have done so. Waiting on the paint to dry and will have it up and running tomorrow hopefully. As Weston indicated I have flipped the actuator. Works out much much better that way.

After having the down pipe on and off a few times welding in additional material to lengthen and angle it down I was able to go for a ride today but unfortunately the down pipe is making far too much contact with the firewall making the truck completely annoying to drive. It will have to come off again and I will do so this week.

That said a few observations. Keep in mind I also added a straight flange t4 steed manifold.

1. Cruise at 70mph used to result in 1-3 psi boost, 1000-900 EGTs, and a pretty steady haze with current 5x20s. Now, with the flange 5-7psi boost, 800-875 EGTs, and a lighter haze.
2. Throttling up in first to initiate a 30ish psi run through the gears (throttle around half way or a little less) used to dump a cloud of smoke and then get hazy. Now, with the flange it generates haze in first and about the same at 30psi given the butterfly is open then. Also, you can tell when the butterfly opens given the boost does not rise as quick and the exhaust takes on a much different sound.
3. All around the motor is much snappier at part throttle which is not a real surprise.
4. Sound differences were hard given the incredibly noisy interior thanks to the down pipe contacting the firewall but the truck seems quieter which is no real surprise given only one volute is open at normal driving but the turbine is definitely noisier.

Pictures will follow as will additional observations and hopefully some track visits in the near future.

nice good to here, cant wait to get mine. hopefully it will show up next week. it looks like a very nice peice.

Weston, Will fitment be in issue on the T3 piece with an HX40 DP or will we need another manifold as well?

Back