Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Thanks for the reply Nick. I'm interested in the quicker spool up with these flanges. Your running almost the exact same turbo I'd like to run. If I don't decide to run twins.

A new flange is on the way with revised fastening of the butterfly to the shaft. Once I have had time to put it on (hoping tonight pending arrival of flange) I will update more. I still owe everyone more pics.

A new flange is on the way with revised fastening of the butterfly to the shaft. Once I have had time to put it on (hoping tonight pending arrival of flange) I will update more. I still owe everyone more pics.

what was wrong with the first design?

what was wrong with the first design?

The stainless bolts were not able to take the heat. I noticed my flange binding and I removed the turbo to find the bolts had bent allowing enough movement in the butterfly to cause binding during actuation.

Not to derail, but I got on SDX to look at a T-3 spool flange and they only had the T-4. Is it even out for sale yet, or are we still waiting for its arrival? I haven't studied these much, I'm assuming that they are compatable with an internally gated charger?

Mine will be updated as well. Was hoping to have another shot at the track this year but will post up results when they happen.

Why do people want these for t3 chargers??

In theory, if you can bring your charger on much much faster with no other side effects why wouldn't you want one on a t3-t800 charger lol?

I am fairly confident the new fix will address the issue at hand. These were semi test pieces so this kind of thing is to be expected.

Also, my 64/71 .91 t4 charger spools faster with this spool flange than my previous 62/68 13ss t3 charger did with even with the wastegate ports completed plugged alleviating any kind of leaking associated with the internal gate t3 housings.

Last edited:
These would probably be neat on the big turbo in twins to bring it on faster but still breath on the upper end. You could probably get a 80 mm or bigger to spool better than the 75mm most run.

These would probably be neat on the big turbo in twins to bring it on faster but still breath on the upper end. You could probably get a 80 mm or bigger to spool better than the 75mm most run.

I'm thinking it would be more beneficial on the small turbo to move things even quicker into the motor via earlier better breathing. I would be interested in seeing it tested both ways.

would a spool flange on the primary possibly slow the spool up of the secondary by restricting the outlet, therefore in a way slowing down the exhaust passing over the secondary's turbine wheel? or is that thinking into it too much?

Garrett

Why do people want these for t3 chargers??

If they didn't offer these for the t3 chargers they'd be losing out on a TON of money! You have to think of it from the business point of view, not just the consumer. The t3 market is huge. :Cheer:

So restricting an already restrictive flange.. For turbos that already cost $1,000 more because of the t3. Just don't see how it benefits when you can get a cheaper turbo to spool better and flow more... But what ever tickles your pickle. A t3 to t4 I can see but not a t3 t3.

Back