Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Some overdue additional pics with everything bolted up (as a single).

You can see by bottom mounting the actuator there is plenty of clearance between the hose and down pipe. The DP isn't pretty but it works!

The video camera was dead so I ran out of daylight today to get you guys a video of a 4wd boost launch to see the difference in spool time. I will get this tomorrow if the weather is good and post a video of me spooling at the track with the same setup before the spool flange.

I see you still have the "Helen Keller School of the Blind" welded downpipe. LOL

I see you still have the "Helen Keller School of the Blind" welded downpipe. LOL

The combination of my skill level, flux core, and aluminized tubing to stainless would account for a "beautiful" nature of the downpipe ha! Toss in a little of I don't give a chit so long as it works and you have a recipe for a disasterous appearing piece!

I can't wait to see a video. One question though, is all the fab work you did due to the turbo? Or the manifold and exhaust valve?

Here is a video of me at the track with the heavily ported stock manifold with t4 adapter, the 5x20s, and 181s. I am building boost as I creep into the lights. ET was pretty awful but i'm addressing that soon (hopefully).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBk1Mh1jpq8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBk1Mh1jpq8[/ame]

Here is a video of me launching on a "closed course somewhere;)" bringing boost in right from idle with the spool flange and the t4 straight flange steed manifold. I was hoping it would not be so windy so you could kind of see how long it took to get to the 22-25 psi I launched at in this video and the one before without the flange but no dice. The smoke does not clear like it would with the 181s so it is hard to judge based only on the thickness of the smoke. This video had the same everything except some 7mm competition delivery valves instead of the 8mm 181s in the first video. You can hear how fast the turbo comes on and again because of the conditions little more can be used to judge the difference in spool just from these videos. Did the best I could lol
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vAkm4VceQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vAkm4VceQ[/ame]

I am awaiting a set of 155* 5x16s which I am hoping to find some power with. My truck has never seemed to like these 5x20s.

How does the sound compare with and without the flange. Does it have that annoying hiss like a duramax at an idle?

How does the sound compare with and without the flange. Does it have that annoying hiss like a duramax at an idle?

Lol not quite these trucks are noisy creatures not sure you could ever get that sound.

Just got the new 155* 5x16s in SDX did for me and did a bunch of wot runs with the plate around half way in the pump. Quite honestly the truck has picked up a substantial amount of power. I need to get it back to the track hopefully before year's end! The spool flange is working extremely well and in combination with these injectors the truck is simply a fricken riot now! Will do my best to get everyone some drive pressure readings! Need to get number 1 injector's banjo to stop leaking.

I'm ready to see some videos with the new sdx injectors!!!

No videos of the change but since the addition of the new 155* 5x16s with timing still at 24* the truck runs 70mph with zero smoke, the same after the spool flange 6-7psi, and now a record low (for my truck and these tires) 770egts! This is with 4.10 gears, 2000rpm, and 80lb 35" swampers! Ofcourse it is 40 degrees outside but the egt at 70mph has never been that low with any charger and these tires in similar weather. I would expect around 800 in hotter weather. Things are coming along nicely.

I think the plan right now is going to be the new 67.7mm fmw borg s400 with a .90 a/r t4 74/83mm hot side. Charger has made some pretty sick power for the import crowd we'll see how it runs on this old turd!

Truck has never been more fun to drive than it is now!

i have a 71/74/.90 s400 getting put together right now, im interested to see how yours will do with the spool flange

Well plans have changed and I'm going to give the somewhat new 67.7mm s400 turbo a try (.90 t4 74/83 turbine, .66 a/r v-band bellmouth comp cover). I pulled the s300 tonight and got to look to see how the spool flange is holding up. Thus far it is holding up excellently and has seen many way past 1600degree runs at this point! Here are some pics!

For those wanting to know how well the shaft seals to the flange block here are two pics; one of the top and one of the bottom.
IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

Fresh off the truck from the exhaust manifold side of the flange.
IMG_2394.jpg

Off the truck from the turbine side.
IMG_2393.jpg

Cleaned up, manifold side.
IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

Turbine side.
IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

The bad news, going to have a chit time drilling out the bolt which locked up in the steed turbine t4 flange:bang:bang
IMG_2402.jpg

The welds and the inconel material are doing their job in spades it seems. I did not get the butterfly spick and span so I assure you any mirage of warping is just that, a mirage. Well done SDX!

Last edited:
I'll be following along

Thinking about running a 472 83 turbine .90ar T4 on my CR with a spool flange.

I'll be following along

Thinking about running a 472 83 turbine .90ar T4 on my CR with a spool flange.

With the ability of the CR to spool a turbo I would not hesitate. That would probably be similar to how my truck runs with the spool flange and this 64/71 t4 .91 lol

My only concern is being at above 4000' all the time.

I can see whats going to happen already:

1. Installed turbo and spool flange

2. Think a little faster spool would be nice.

3. 188 Hamilton cam, springs, pushrods.

4. Think if I could just control the tuning a bit more.

5. Son of a b1tch if I could just get some EFILive action for my 03!

6. Wait patiently. (not going to happen, the patiently part at least.)

My only concern is being at above 4000' all the time.

I can see whats going to happen already:

1. Installed turbo and spool flange

2. Think a little faster spool would be nice.

3. 188 Hamilton cam, springs, pushrods.

4. Think if I could just control the tuning a bit more.

5. Son of a b1tch if I could just get some EFILive action for my 03!

6. Wait patiently. (not going to happen, the patiently part at least.)

Lol, the grass is always greener no matter where you're looking from!

Greener as in the dollars coming out of my wallet?

Yep its plenty green alright.

Back