Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

So restricting an already restrictive flange.. For turbos that already cost $1,000 more because of the t3. Just don't see how it benefits when you can get a cheaper turbo to spool better and flow more... But what ever tickles your pickle. A t3 to t4 I can see but not a t3 t3.

I couldn't agree with you more. Its just good business though. Think of how many of those things you could sell to people on CF or Diesel Bombers website. Be like shootin fish in a barrell.

The flange should be on its way sometime today and get to me tomorrow. Weather permitting I will be taking my buddy to MIR for the November 11th track rental which means about 3 hours each way of towing. I will have more info hopefully this weekend so long as it doesn't rain thursday or friday. If it rains thursday I can't go because of these sediment and erosion inspections I have been asked to cover.

Sounds like a plan. I am really excited to hear how these things do. Could be a good answer to a big turbo instead of twins...

Weather looks good and new flange arrived today. Should have it on this evening! The flange I just received has the different orientation Weston discussed earlier in this thread (this new flange with wastegate actuator on the bottom).

So restricting an already restrictive flange.. For turbos that already cost $1,000 more because of the t3. Just don't see how it benefits when you can get a cheaper turbo to spool better and flow more... But what ever tickles your pickle. A t3 to t4 I can see but not a t3 t3.

They can then tap into the import market... I know a lot of 4banger guys wanting a fast spooling setup for their cars to be able to have a broader power band when auto-x or track.

New flange is on but did very limited towing of trailer only due to a third buddy wanting to make it to track rental and having an F150 with 4 doors and much more room for three people doing to towing once I delivered the trailer. Obviously the 1700lb trailer was towed very easily but it did give me time to appreciate the large benefit of much more low throttle boost. Also had some time to do some wot bursts (which killed previous unit's stainless bolts) and all is well so far. Looks like the new welded directly to the shaft setup is the way to go but only time will say for certain.

No real breaking news but just got back from a drive into town and again the new flange is working perfectly and has made (as did the previous before the bolt failure) the truck so much more enjoyable to drive especially away from a stop light! I highly recommend these if quicker spool with pretty much zero side effects and far less effort than other quicker spool producing products require is what you are after. I just can't see any reason for anyone not to run one of these. Not trying to sound as if I am Billy Maze (lol) I just want to share my impressions with this spool flange.

Work and other things have prevented me from getting more quantitative data but to be honest other than what i've shared previously in this thread I am not sure that data would be that helpful given the change to the steed manifold also and the up coming injector change.

i put mine on but i only drove about 40 miles since i got it on. it made a pretty big diffrence in spool up. i have lower compression but it cleaned mid range haze up a good amount. once it warms up a little i will drive it more and let you guys know how it works out.

Some overdue additional pics with everything bolted up (as a single).

You can see by bottom mounting the actuator there is plenty of clearance between the hose and down pipe. The DP isn't pretty but it works!
IMG_2369.jpg

Pic of the bottom mount of the actuator.
IMG_2368.jpg

Ended up extending the intercooler pipe with a piece from a scrap one I had laying around.
IMG_2366.jpg

Overall pic.
IMG_2365.jpg

Top view.
IMG_2364.jpg

Another shot of the intercooler pipe.
IMG_2363.jpg

Another shot from the front.
IMG_2362.jpg

The video camera was dead so I ran out of daylight today to get you guys a video of a 4wd boost launch to see the difference in spool time. I will get this tomorrow if the weather is good and post a video of me spooling at the track with the same setup before the spool flange.

Last edited:
Definitely interested in your results. I ran a 64/71 vnt charger w/the fpe controller and I'm curious as to how this sdx flange compares. I'd like to try this flange on my billet s366....it would be nice to not have to feather the pedal each time I grab a gear and make towing an option for me again without the abundance of heat. Keep up the feedback !

I decided a month ago that i would wait a while to read this. Looks interesting, but I guess I'll wait another month and see if it works or not.

I'd love to see what the drive pressures are,I would bet money on them being through the roof.

Drive was around 80psi with the stock manifold and this charger before hand. I am not seeing any signs of higher driver with the spool flange and steed manifold but admittedly I have not taken any measurements yet.

Back