"no BS" 2.5 max HP

They say compounds are allowed because were up at such a high elevation. Id like to try running a big turbo behind a 2.5 but I plan to pull with.more then our organization so ill stick to a single. Id like to get our rules on the same page as others being I plan on going to ts and some others next year. I am also one of the techs for our organization and have learned alot this season and learned alot about the ways people cheat and wish id learned more about turbos before the seaon started. Id like to see some actual pictures of turbos guys have cheated with but its hard to find guys posting more the words on how guys cheat, but you will always have cheaters. To meet 2.5 should be an entry level class or a class guys can pull in if the building a truck for the upper classes but still wanna pull. Out here the class is only a year old and other then one guy were all pretty close in power but were all also running box stock s464s. Out here one guy having a built turbo is what sets us all apart but next year will be a whole new story.

Wow really? Glad our club actually has meetings for a reason and the pullers and only members can vote. What's voted in by the club is what goes.

That can be good and that can be bad. I've seen promoters F up a class by pushing their agendas, but I've seen several more classes F'd up by the pullers who vote on their rules. They push their own agenda which works for the short term at the expense of long term growth...

A local club around here takes pullers input (but don't allow them to "vote"). They take the input, looks at the needs of the area, what other local clubs are doing, and then a few member board decides what will/won't change looking at the overall picture and future. The core deciding group has been pulling for 30+ years so they've seen what can happen when classes progress too fast. While NO system is perfect, this has proven to be the best approach (and unfortunately the club I'm an officer in is not the one of which I speak....).

A few classes in the club I belong to (where members vote for their rules) had a quick growth as pullers voted on rules THEY wanted, but a few years later those same classes have all but died or GREATLY decreased in numbers.... When they voted they thought it was the best thing going. Just some food for thought, and the reason for my often times not so popular views on this subject. Although it's nice to see what I said was going to happen years ago happening, it sucks knowing it could have been so much better across the nation had things gone differently.

Last edited:
As Weston stated, the rule changes that are needed to fix the classes are very simple and obvious. The pullers have to agree on them for the sport to continue to grow. The smooth bore turbos are the best way to fix a lot of problems and not loose a bunch of hp. It will in a sense "cap" the power and force the pullers to be more innovative in how to be competitive, instead of exploiting a MAP rule that is out of hand.

As Weston stated, the rule changes that are needed to fix the classes are very simple and obvious. The pullers have to agree on them for the sport to continue to grow. The smooth bore turbos are the best way to fix a lot of problems and not loose a bunch of hp. It will in a sense "cap" the power and force the pullers to be more innovative in how to be competitive, instead of exploiting a MAP rule that is out of hand.

I have a question, if the MAP rule has already been exploited, is a change needed? Isn't the damage already done?

I have a question, if the MAP rule has already been exploited, is a change needed? Isn't the damage already done?

It'd be more of a play field leveling move. It'd be interesting to see how a class of trucks with identical chargers would do. Letting success fall on the rest of the truck's setup and on driver skill. Obviously those are already factors, but in theory a more even class should lead to closer pulls and more excitement for the crowd, if the crowd is interested in the competition aspect. Same idea behind NASCAR continually trying to make cars more uniform for tighter races

I suppose it depends what ppl want the class to be. Do they want the 2.6 class to be in the 13-1400hp range or do they want it in the 1600hp+ range.

In 2014 82-84mm compressor wheels were common, if the rules remain the same in 2015 92mm compressor wheels will be common, that is a 10mm increase in one year. Along with this you will see the frame size increase to a GT55 or Hx80/HC5A, so to answer your question; No, the damage will continue, and it will divide the class into guys that are willing to pay, and those that aren't.

This is the writing on the wall that the common guy competing may not know about, but people should be aware of what they will be up against if things don't change.

Maybe a stupid question but why does it matter if a rule will reduce the horsepower within a class if it has an effect on everybody within the class?

Maybe a stupid question but why does it matter if a rule will reduce the horsepower within a class if it has an effect on everybody within the class?

It doesn't, but it seems that rules to take power away and are straight forward with no gray area are always the least favorite route to take. I do agree something needs to be done to keep the bigger chargers out for next season. Smooth bore has worked for the tractor classes for years there is no good reason it wont work for trucks as well.

Whats the price difference between box stock and a good built turbo? Also what do you guys mean by big turbos what should the size limit be?

Box could potentially cost more than that because some box stock were not passing tech so they were having to have the covers welded up a tad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It doesn't, but it seems that rules to take power away and are straight forward with no gray area are always the least favorite route to take. I do agree something needs to be done to keep the bigger chargers out for next season. Smooth bore has worked for the tractor classes for years there is no good reason it wont work for trucks as well.

Exactly. It shouldn't matter. After all the entire point of truck pulling is doing the most you can within given parameters to beat the competition. At worst the class loses some horsepower collectively.

Not so sure why someone would be against an easily interpreted rule set unless that person was exploiting the rules that were already in place...

Exactly. It shouldn't matter. After all the entire point of truck pulling is doing the most you can within given parameters to beat the competition. At worst the class loses some horsepower collectively.

Not so sure why someone would be against an easily interpreted rule set unless that person was exploiting the rules that were already in place...

Like said before. The only ppl against the current charger rules of cotpc, ppl, Bob are the ones who don't want to spend the extra $1500 on a charger, don't currently pull or pull consistently / competitively. Even with box stock the motor builds are the SAME to compete. Basically wanting to make a class tailored to their budget or truck as it is.

Jake does have a point, the only reason I want a true 2.5 bore is I only have one truck at the moment. With a 2.5 charger i can get away with driving it to and from pulls. The s400 offers strength over a work stock charger in my opinion. I will likely end up pulling work stock next year for the very reason of not having a tow truck. I do know budget wise if the 2.5 stuff doesn't change much it will still be a very fun class.

Jake does have a point, the only reason I want a true 2.5 bore is I only have one truck at the moment. With a 2.5 charger i can get away with driving it to and from pulls. The s400 offers strength over a work stock charger in my opinion. I will likely end up pulling work stock next year for the very reason of not having a tow truck. I do know budget wise if the 2.5 stuff doesn't change much it will still be a very fun class.

Even if it were box stock the dedicated trucks will still run big turbine wheel and housings most likely. That has much more affect on a driver than the compressor side. IMO with the frame limit an the way the rules are now I cant see the class getting much higher in hp from the charger, if any. Theirs zero benefit to box stock, theirs too much grey there. You still have to modify the cover to pass 2.550 hot. I know cause I failed with one. Now I do see the benefit of smooth bore and if it came to it I would be ok with that.

Back