S467 turbine housing A/R impact

Dbordenb

I’m curious how much of an impact the turbine housing has on spool up and peak boost numbers. On a 6.7 and stock fuel will an S467 with a .90 reach a higher boost pressure at WOT than a 1.0 housing?

I am curious because right now using a 1.0 A/R on stock fuel WOT boost is only about 22, highway cruising 0 psi and normal acceleration is about 3-4 psi. Are these about on par for stock fuel with this housing? Would going to a .90 be beneficial?

Yes going to the tighter housing will help drive the charger harder.

Are you running a T4 manifold, or using an adaptor?

T4 2nd gen manifold. Those boost pressures don’t look out of the norm for stock fuel and a 1.0 A/R?

Last edited:
They're low.
Be honest your running to big a charger, but going to the .90 will help out some.

You get to where your pushing 50lbs out of that charger is its limits.

If they are low then I need to start looking for why they are low. Boost leak is my first thought and second is a possible bad map sensor reading. I’m using a 10bar map sensor and I’m curious if it’s not tuned correctly or a possible bad sensor with correct tuning. I suppose it could also be bad tuning resulting in lost boost pressures.
The truck runs great and I’m getting very good fuel mileage. Would a boost leak large enough to cause my low pressure still allow high mpg and good performance?

I don't see how cruising at 0 psi you stated is good for mileage. Assuming your boost gauge is reading correct, and no boost leaks. I'd be looking in the tuning, a 6.7 tuned correct should push that charger harder than 22psi.

Well that comment makes me think it’s my map sensor giving a bad reading. This last tank was 19.3 mpg. Or it’s a boost leak and my mileage will get even better when I fit the leak.

I checked for boost leaks with soapy water and did not find bubbles on any boots or the grid heater plate/intake horn gasket. It did bleed off pressure rather quickly though. Does that mean I have an intake valve open?

I agree with Jason, the truck should be driving that charger harder. Is it smoking at 22psi or does it clean up? What turbine wheel is in that charger?

It’s an 83 turbine wheel.
I checked for leaks again and found a boost leak hiding from me when I first checked. I think I’ve got it patched up but haven’t test driven it yet. But I’m sure it will be much improved now.
Will pressurizing the system from the turbo inlet cause any harm since there is no oil pressure for the turbo bearing? And is checking for leaks that way something that should be done sparingly or can it be done often?

When checking for boost leaks I am noticing some air come out of the CCV breather on the top of the valve cover. Does this mean I have a bad valve seal?

If you can pull the oil fill after the engines hot and
warmed up and doesn't have bad blow by, no worries.

When you pressurize the intake, totally normal for some leaking by the rings. Your looking at chit to hard.

Ok, I usually do overthink things so I’m glad to hear that air out the CCV breather isn’t an issue.

I did find the problem causing low boost. Today I pulled the turbo to swap my 1.0 for a .90 turbine housing and found that the 1.0 that came with the turbo is for an 87mm turbine wheel. Now that I have the correct size exhaust housing the boost is right where it needs to be.

I read great things about this turbo and I was very confused after running it for a while. It all makes sense now

Back