S467 turbine housing A/R impact

I’m glad I fixed it as well. It’s nice to have boost again.
One thing I am not sure about is a low hollow whistle sound I’m hearing at 2 psi and then fades out. I thought something may still be leaking boost but when I pressurize the system and use soapy water nothing bubbles.

Just to add a little about the new whistle I’m hearing. It starts at 2psi and fades out around 3.5 psi. Above that I can’t hear it but as I ease out of it and the boost once again falls through 3 down to 2 psi it starts making the sound again. The sound is a hollow whistle that is at a much lower pitch than the turbo whistle.
Could it be resonance from the new Intercooler piping and intake horn? Or a boost leak that just doesn’t make noise above 3.5psi?

The only boost leaks I've ever "heard" where starting at like 20psi.

Your probably hearing noises from running an open filter. Some of the reason the oem had a closed box intake filter.

What is the peak boost psi it reaches now?

Last edited:
I haven’t gone full wide open throttle yet but last night on a 80% throttle pull it shot right up to 46 psi.

Could the sound I am hearing could be the turbo bearing? The first time I installed the turbo I put 2 full large syringes of clean oil in the turbo as I spun it by hand and the second time I installed it I put 1 syringe of oil in before connecting the oil feed line. I hope this was enough for the first time starting it up.
I can’t find any videos or other posts of people hearing a sound like I have and it makes me think my sound is out of the norm.

Just a quick check will verify if you have a bearing failing. Just grab the wheel and check for in and out play, should be hardly any.

Don't worry about the side to side play as much, some is normal.

Also look for scrub marks where the compressor has made contact with the comp cover.
If those check out, you don't have any issues with the turbo.

Just a quick check will verify if you have a bearing failing. Just grab the wheel and check for in and out play, should be hardly any.

Don't worry about the side to side play as much, some is normal.

Also look for scrub marks where the compressor has made contact with the comp cover.
If those check out, you don't have any issues with the turbo.

No scrub marks on the compressor housing. There was side to side play like you said and I don’t think there was any in an out play. I say I think because it depended on where I stood when I checked. When standing on the side of the pickup there was zero but when I was on my topside creeper it felt like there may have been a little play. It may have been because of the angle I was at while on the creeper.
Could I have damaged the bearing while pressuring the system to look for boost leaks?

Last edited:
I haven't watched your vids, but there is no damage from pressure testing. I use 150 psi to check mine.

You are listening and checking chit to hard.
If there's no in an out play, and no comp cover contact, you have no problem.

I run that same charger as a secondary in compounds, it makes around 90lbs boost with about 150lbs of drive pressure at the top of a run and I havent killed it yet.
The small S400's are tough.

Yeah I get that I’m looking really hard. It seems like I have exhausted all other possible explanations for the sound and so I questioned the turbo. Seemed to be the last option. I really don’t think this is a normal sound but I’m going to have to run it until it becomes a bigger problem that is easier to find because right now I have no idea what else to look at.

This morning I removed the I take to see if the sound was related to an open filter. It is not. Sound was still there.
With cold coolant and oil the sound is very noticeable and when standing outside the truck it sounds more prominent on the passenger side. I would say right around the ccv breather area or turbo turbine housing. As the temp rises the sound is quieter and happens at a much smaller range of boost.
I know Jason said if there’s no play in and out and no comp cover contact then the turbo is fine so what else could make a sound that hanged with coolant or oil temp?

I haven't watched your vids, but there is no damage from pressure testing. I use 150 psi to check mine.

You are listening and checking chit to hard.
If there's no in an out play, and no comp cover contact, you have no problem.

I run that same charger as a secondary in compounds, it makes around 90lbs boost with about 150lbs of drive pressure at the top of a run and I havent killed it yet.
The small S400's are tough.

Did you get a chance to watch the second video I posted? It’s a sort 8 second clip that you can make out the sound pretty well in.

I watched the 2nd vid this morning, nothing I heard sounds concerning?

Sounds like when a turbo just starts to get spinning up but not making boost yet.

Again watching a vid on my cell phone, hard to hear anything meaningful.

If the turbo checks out and isn't puking oil, and the engine has no bad blow by when hot, there's nothing to worry about.

Looks good to me.
49lbs is about the limit I'd say you need to keep it.

How quick does it spool? I run the 1.00 housing on mine and spools very quick on a 12v, can only imagine better with a 6.7 CR.

Back