Turbocharging a 4020

RustyBolts

Here within the next couple weeks or so I'll be making a trip up to Anderson Tractor to buy the turbo manifolds I'll need to 'charge the 4020.
Already got the turbo, here's a pic
4020 Turbo_1.JPG
I'm gonna do this one a little differently than most others I've seen. Most either use an M&W kit, or rob the manifolds from a 4320.
With the number of 4320 Manifolds becoming more and more scarce as time goes on, and M&W kits go for a premium, I'll be using the manifolds from a 4430.
The reason for this is three-fold.
Firstly, as previously stated, the 4430 manifolds are much more common, and more affordable than 4320, or M&W manifolds.
Secondly, the forward location of the 4320 exhaust manifold causes the elbow to exit just slightly under the forward edge of the muffler opening in the hood. I don't want to hack up the hood, and I think the more central location of the 4430 exhaust manifold will help alleviate this problem.
Lastly, with the centralized turbo mount I feel as though the flow in and out of the engine will be more balanced than the forward mount of earlier designs.
This is somewhat unchatred territory when it comes to turbocharging a 4010/4020, so I'll do my best to document it all on here.
Updates to come. . .

That's pretty good, it's rated at 90....1978 was the first pull I went to, the next day I was in the field plowing and doing puller take offs with a chisel in the ground.......13 year old stuff :)

Jim

That's pretty good, it's rated at 90....1978 was the first pull I went to, the next day I was in the field plowing and doing puller take offs with a chisel in the ground.......13 year old stuff :)

Jim

Nice to know I'm not the only one who did that when we were younger! LOL

Ok, that makes sense now. Back in the late 70's-early 80's dad had a 4010 he pulled that he ran a 3LM and 4320 manifolds on, and he says that the turbo barely fit under the hood there, and burned the paint off(!). With how the hood tapers, it would make sense that with the turbo being farther back with 4430 exhaust the hood would need bulged out.
Did you strip the hydraulics off your tractor, or leave them intact?

What year is your tractor, RustyBolts? If you decide to strip off any hydraulics....I'd be glad to have another set of connections on the back. :D

Mines a '65. I'm not wanting to strip the hydraulics off mine, I was just wondering about the clearance between the turbo, and remote control valves. The 4010's and early 4020's had dash mounted rockshaft and scv controls, and the valves were mounted under-hood. The late 4020's (aka Side Console) had the control valve and coupler as one unit.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who did that when we were younger! LOL

When I was 10 I rode the fender a whole summer learning from my granddad and watching his every move (whole new meaning to raw a$$ from the fender) the next summer I did the same for about a month with me plowing the straight ways and him doing the corners till he refused and made me take the corners, then one day he said stop up here and I did, he jumped off and said, go and see ya later and off I went at 11.......sure miss that old guy, great person and role model.

Jim

How about that special reverse not listed, you know the one in the 4th/7th side then all the way past the stop, always wondered why they didn't label it.

Jim

Going home to try this. :D

When I was 10 I rode the fender a whole summer learning from my granddad and watching his every move (whole new meaning to raw a$$ from the fender) the next summer I did the same for about a month with me plowing the straight ways and him doing the corners till he refused and made me take the corners, then one day he said stop up here and I did, he jumped off and said, go and see ya later and off I went at 11.......sure miss that old guy, great person and role model.

Jim

I think you have taken this story from my diary. LOL Wow. I miss his old 4020 Wheatland Edition. I tried to find it and buy it back. No luck. I miss the old man too. I don't miss the bare ass on the fender though. And every now and again, a slap in the head by the unbrella sticks.

That's what ours was a 68' How about that special reverse not listed, you know the one in the 4th/7th side then all the way past the stop, always wondered why they didn't label it.

Jim

My 4020's a Power Shift, but dad's 4520 is a synchro range. Once the Synchro Ranges get a little wear in the shift quadrant, it's real easy to slip em on down into 7R. 4010's actually had it, but 4020 and newer, technically no as it was deemed unsafe to cruise backward at 12 MPH :badidea: Howsumever, I'd be lying if I said I've never used it :evil
As far as I know though, a 4010 quadrant will swap right over to a later tractor, or you could get out your die grinder and hogg out the one notch.:Cheer:

Back