Turbocharging a 4020

Ya know, it's irritating how much school, work, and life in general get in the way of projects. The 720 has sat neglected since the last update on it, and we haven't even gotten started on the 4020. What makes things worse is hay season is right around the corner. It sounds like the 720's gonna get new rod bearings, rings, and head gasket and go back to the field. The pumps & injectors are gonna have to wait another year I guess.

The 4020, well, it may have to go this hay season naturally aspirated. I've got everything I need to turbo it, minus the time and shop space. On the other hand though, it NEEDS a new head gasket the worst way in the world. Rear right side of the block is black form the oil that runs down it from the leaky head, and valve cover gaskets. On top of that, the Power Shift VB needs gone through and cleaned/honed because I've got a valve sticking, causing some really funky shifting! (Forward and reverse neutral is 7th, 1st is actually 3rd and 2nd is actually 4th. The valve that controls pressure to the C1 and C2 clutch packs is stuck in the C2 apply position.)

At this point, I'm pretty much just waitin' on Lane (or rather Dad) to get the rod bearings, and the rest of the gaskets for the 720 ordered, delivered, and installed so that we at least have one big tractor to use for first-cutting.

Here we go again!

Ya know, it's irritating how much school, work, and life in general get in the way of projects. The 720 has sat neglected since the last update on it, and we haven't even gotten started on the 4020. What makes things worse is hay season is right around the corner. It sounds like the 720's gonna get new rod bearings, rings, and head gasket and go back to the field. The pumps & injectors are gonna have to wait another year I guess.

The 4020, well, it may have to go this hay season naturally aspirated. I've got everything I need to turbo it, minus the time and shop space. On the other hand though, it NEEDS a new head gasket the worst way in the world. Rear right side of the block is black form the oil that runs down it from the leaky head, and valve cover gaskets. On top of that, the Power Shift VB needs gone through and cleaned/honed because I've got a valve sticking, causing some really funky shifting! (Forward and reverse neutral is 7th, 1st is actually 3rd and 2nd is actually 4th. The valve that controls pressure to the C1 and C2 clutch packs is stuck in the C2 apply position.)

At this point, I'm pretty much just waitin' on Lane (or rather Dad) to get the rod bearings, and the rest of the gaskets for the 720 ordered, delivered, and installed so that we at least have one big tractor to use for first-cutting.

Here we go again!

That sounds like my luck. Sunday i went and hooked up the disc mower to my 720 to check it out before I cut some wheat hay. Hooked it up and drove up to the barn. Went to fold it up and about the time the cutter bar got folded up it blew a small plug out of the lift cylinder(only leaked when folding up the cutter bar). I check the oil in everything and let the cutter bar back down and turn it on and get a gear raddling somewhere. Sounds like 2 gears without the correct amount of backlash between them. To boot the wheat is ready now and I don't have the time to fix the disc mower. Oh well.

That sounds like my luck. Sunday i went and hooked up the disc mower to my 720 to check it out before I cut some wheat hay. Hooked it up and drove up to the barn. Went to fold it up and about the time the cutter bar got folded up it blew a small plug out of the lift cylinder(only leaked when folding up the cutter bar). I check the oil in everything and let the cutter bar back down and turn it on and get a gear raddling somewhere. Sounds like 2 gears without the correct amount of backlash between them. To boot the wheat is ready now and I don't have the time to fix the disc mower. Oh well.

If I were you, I'd check and make sure the u joints on the disc mower were phased correctly. There's one on our #12 Massey Square baler that was welded in out-of-phase by the previous owner. It's not bad as long as we're going in a straight line, but it makes a hellacious amount of racket whenever you turn it the least little bit.

Update for everybody.
Sunday dad and I brought the 4020 to the shop. First thing he wanted to do was turn the fuel up on it, and so we did. All we got out of the screw was 1/2 turn, which was enough to make it MUCH snappier on the throttle response, and put out a light/moderate haze of smoke lugging it uphill.
Brought it back to the shop, and decided we better take the VB out to clean it, and un-stick the C1/C2 shuttle valve. That (obviously) meant draining the hydraulic oil, which led to changing out the filters and sump screen as well. Took the VB in on the bench, tore it apart, cleaned/honed the shuttle valves, dump valve and bores, and manual valves.
At that point, we stopped for a glass of tea, and decided that while we have it here, we might as well go ahead and pull the sheet metal, take out the Radiator and Oil Cooler, flush & clean them, and get ready to pull the head.
Monday on my way back to Lima (I'm on evenings this session...) I stopped at JD Equipment in Lancaster and picked up the T3 Turbo gasket I ordered the thursday before. While I was there, dad had me go ahead and order the gasket set and rod bearings we need for the 720. I'll pick them up friday morning on my way back through. Sounds like we'll be busy mechanic'n this weekend...
On top of that, we gotta get Spare Parts ready for her first pull of the year this coming Saturday...
No rest for the wicked
Pics to come when my computer decides to pull its head out of its ass.

If I were you, I'd check and make sure the u joints on the disc mower were phased correctly. There's one on our #12 Massey Square baler that was welded in out-of-phase by the previous owner. It's not bad as long as we're going in a straight line, but it makes a hellacious amount of racket whenever you turn it the least little bit.

I checked everything that I coudl think of. Went back and looked at the joints as well and everything is good. I stil haven't gotten a chance to sut wheat or hay with it. My other 2 jobs have kept me busy.

Sounds like you do have some late nights ahead of you. I've been helpl a buddy of mine a little bit on a Styled A at night (another reason for being slow on my own stuff LOL). He is restoring it to use in his wedding next month. Makes me want to restore some more of mine but i don't have any more time to so o well! LOL

Ok, some updates on the tractors. The 720 has it's pistons back in the cylinders with a fresh set of rings, and rod bearings. I think dad wants to rebuild the PS pump for it, too, but idk. The 4020 is in the field temporarily, until the 720 is back in commission. We need to take the VB back off the 4020, fully disassemble it this time and hope the C1-C2 shuttle valve doesn't stick again. Put it on there, went up through the gears, and it never missed a lick the first time. The second time, it was back to it's same old tricks (1 was 3, 2 was 4 etc. etc.). I'm pretty sure dad and I have figured out what the problem is, which entails another gasket set, and another teardown of the VB. I also finished up the turbo flange adapter this past weekend, so when it comes back to the shop, it's also getting its head gasket and windmill installed. We also put in a cheap trans temp gauge with numbers on it so we could monitor it more accurately. So far, after several miles on the road, baling 130 square bales, and 15 round bales, it hasn't gone over 165* thus telling us there isn't any excessive drag in the clutches and brakes.
More to come as it does.

Updates? Oh yes I have updates, but I still don't have a turbo'd 4020...
I'm sure you guys are getting tired of hearing all my excuses as to why I don't have done yet, but it is what it is, and it goes a little something like this:
A couple weeks ago,(wednesday the 13th) the PTO went out on the 4520, which is our mowing tractor. We haven't torn into it yet, but dad and I have a hunch as to what locked it up. Won't know til we get there, which will be another thread in and of itself come wintertime. At that point, the 720 was still apart, so the 4020 started pulling double-duty mowing and round baling. We got all of the 90 acre custom job done, at 1:30pm on saturday the 16th so then we had a bit of time to work on stuff, and have a lil fun with Spare Parts at the June BBFAC Antique pull. The corn was starting to get green between the rows, so dad and I put the Roll-o-matic tricycle under the 4020, and a set of 4-row cultivators (yes, we still cultivate, but we only have enough out to feed our own, which is about 6 acres) . Looked pretty good if I do say so myself, but then again, I'm partial to tricycle-front tractors. At sort of the same time, we was working on gettting the 720 back into commission, since the 4520 went down. Got it all back together and running a week ago yesterday (monday june 18th). I have a video of the first fire-up which I'll post a link to as soon as I get it uploaded. We spent the next couple of days tying up all the loose ends, and getting it ready to go back into the field. Last wednesday (June 20) it got to seat in its new rings while cutting, and later square baling somewhere around 12-15 acres of hay. Once we were done with the corn, the cultivators came off, and the 4020's been mostly moving round bales. We still have A LOT of first cut hay yet to get baled , but I'm hoping that we'll have enough time to do the head gasket and turbo here within the next couple weeks. Be real damn cool to have it done in time for the 4th of July parades, but for some reason, i don't see that happening. Pics to come in the next post.
More to come as it does.

06192012_001.jpg
Naked 720 gettin a bath
06202012.jpg
Half an hour before being put back in the field
06202012_001.jpg
Cutting the backswath
06182012.jpg
4020 with Roll-o-matic, and 4-row cultivators with the 4520 behind the wall
06182012_002.jpg
More 4020

View attachment 36067
Naked 720 gettin a bath
View attachment 36068
Half an hour before being put back in the field
View attachment 36069
Cutting the backswath
View attachment 36070
4020 with Roll-o-matic, and 4-row cultivators with the 4520 behind the wall
View attachment 36071
More 4020

Classics to the end, granddad's neighbor had a mint 720 when I was a early teen, love listening to it run....about like a Radial plane engine now. That front end cultivator is sweet, think we still have ours at the farm.

Jim

When we run the cultivators through for the second time, I'll be sure to take some video of it, so y'all can see it too. It's pretty cool the questioning looks you get from folks around my age, and the ear-to-ear grins the older folks get when you have to pull over so they can get their cars around the 12' wide rig coming down the road. :)

When we run the cultivators through for the second time, I'll be sure to take some video of it, so y'all can see it too. It's pretty cool the questioning looks you get from folks around my age, and the ear-to-ear grins the older folks get when you have to pull over so they can get their cars around the 12' wide rig coming down the road. :)

The looks from other people is one of the funniest things! I love it. Another one is when people ask what do you do with your old tractors? I say I still use them. They have the weirdest look on their face after that.

How does the 720 handle the haybine? We cut with disc mowers. I would like to get a haybine one day for cutting wheat though. The 4020 and the 4520 look great!!!

You oughta see the looks I get from the folks up here in NW OH when I tell them that we still make over 200 acres of hay and do 2-3 cuttings with a '56 720D, '61 1010, '65 4020, '69 4520, a 488 NH Haybine, 258 NH Rake, #12 Massey Square Baler, and a NH 847 chain Round Baler. What really gets 'em goin is when I tell them the most that 720 has ever used was 2 gal/hr fuel.

The 720 handles that 9' haybine really well. Chug-a-lug right along in 3rd or 4th gear all day long, barely knows it's back there.

Back in '09 dad and I repainted the 4520, the 4020 was repainted probably 10 years ago, and the 720 was repainted back in '89. The reason the hood on it looks worse, is because we put its hood over on Spare Parts. Reason being, the 720's hood had the airstack knockout removed, and Spare Parts' hadn't, so we just swapped hoods around. Both of those are going to get repainted (again) somewhere here in the next couple years too.

The 4020 and 4520 are some good looking tractors. You're going to have to throw a coat of paint on those cultivators before they go back on the 4020. LOL I started cleaning on my granddads 730 yesterday evening getting ready for a little local show this weekend. It is going to need some new paint in the next year or so. Its faded out a lot seems like this year since it was waxed last year.

Back