F106 weight/Pro Mod build

And the Sqhd housings are here!
c569bcf795c7448e8c019ad0178cba25.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I've broken the front TRB setup twice, 1st time should have broke, lots of air
2nd time, little chatter, shouldn't have broke, was couple years later.
Took out locker the 1st time.
Always broke same place, broke the leading capbolt on the winged u-joint.
A stronger bolt would be nice.
Just replaced the flanges and u-joint, everything else was fine.
It was military outer tubes welded to a rockwell center, gives you 2 inch shafts thru out.
Probly shafts with the u-joint loops made right on them would be stronger.

Also on the subject of SQHD housings, ran 1 couple years with steel rear cover on
then cut of steel cover and installed aluminum one.
Kinda wonder if housing long term integrity is lost, cutting the steel cover off to save 20 lbs? If you do use the alum one, they are quite thin and easily dented.

I've broken the front TRB setup twice, 1st time should have broke, lots of air
2nd time, little chatter, shouldn't have broke, was couple years later.
Took out locker the 1st time.
Always broke same place, broke the leading capbolt on the winged u-joint.
A stronger bolt would be nice.
Just replaced the flanges and u-joint, everything else was fine.
It was military outer tubes welded to a rockwell center, gives you 2 inch shafts thru out.
Probly shafts with the u-joint loops made right on them would be stronger.

Also on the subject of SQHD housings, ran 1 couple years with steel rear cover on
then cut of steel cover and installed aluminum one.
Kinda wonder if housing long term integrity is lost, cutting the steel cover off to save 20 lbs? If you do use the alum one, they are quite thin and easily dented.
Any idea what just the bare rear housing weighs?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

My scale is broke at the moment. I haven't been able to weigh the full width stripped sq housings yet. I have two sq's that I will be working on that will have 106 spindles and 8 lug aluminum hubs. Have to wait till I get some time off. Gonna start fab work on them during Christmas shutdown. I will have some accurate solid weights then. Gonna be posting pics as well. I know I haven't posted anything in a while about the build. Been working 7 days a week at work and other customers parts have come before working on my own stuff. Progress is coming soon!

I weighed a stripped 20-145 housing with big spindles and back cover cut off was 184lbs. The pieces of of the rear cover we cut of weighed 35lbs.

I weighed a stripped 20-145 housing with big spindles and back cover cut off was 184lbs. The pieces of of the rear cover we cut of weighed 35lbs.
Wow....crazy heavy! My sheet metal housing with .375 face plate and .1875 formed housing comes in at 65lbs and the f106 spindles weigh 18lbs each

All new front end. 47 spline Ouverson Violator shafts. Its a sheet metal f106/custom Dana Industrial front end with rockwell joints (larger than a 1550)

What spindles did u use I have a pile of 106 rears and a full built dana 60 with aluminum hubs now I was thinking about making a front axle with 106 center and dana 60 steering knuckles

But that weight was a full width housing with the big spindles still on it, right? A lot of weight left to drop......

But that weight was a full width housing with the big spindles still on it, right? A lot of weight left to drop......

He said with spindles and back cover cut off!

What spindles did u use I have a pile of 106 rears and a full built dana 60 with aluminum hubs now I was thinking about making a front axle with 106 center and dana 60 steering knuckles
Big 5ton industrials. In my opinion you may as well just stick with a 60 if you want to use d60 knuckles, C's, spindles and shafts

Dang, your right RyanB. I know my Sqhd's are lighter than that with factory spindle still attached and a complete cover. Gotta find that damn scale!

20-145 with rear cover cut off, narrowed and 106 spindles installed weighed 148
Also the stock housings have a support ring that supports the carrier caps that a lot of the sheet metal housings do not have

Wow....crazy heavy! My sheet metal housing with .375 face plate and .1875 formed housing comes in at 65lbs and the f106 spindles weigh 18lbs each

You need to watch those real light housings that aren't braced well will bend I've seen a few that are toed in and the wheels bent up.

Back