Well now the season is over Let ask again..

Ok so you don't like 1/8 but want the classes to grow and be much bigger? One or the other, can't have both. Going 1/8 mile makes for the fastest trucks in the nation going rounds along with let LOTS of super street trucks in to be competitive. Maybe it's cause your in a 2wd but in case you don't know. These 4wd trucks aren't exactly safe running the 1/4. So I guess your suggestion would be for all of us to sell and build 2wds....? Don't be so close minded. Tell the fastest trucks in the nation to slow them down, geez... LOL

1) At what point did I say i dislike 1/8th mile racing? I think it is stupid as hell to have an event that runs every class except one through the 1/4 because some people can't keep it together. You think FC and TF dragsters are on full tilt every pass? No they are trying tune it to the track and conditions to use as much as they CAN not all they HAVE.

2) So 4wd trucks aren't safe running in the 1/4? How much safer is a 2wd? So should we outlaw 4wd trucks in 1/4 now since it is such a safety concern? I do not care what you build to race as long as it meets the rules. Yes if you can't keep from breaking every time you run the quarter it might be wise to dial it back a bit. This isn't street outlaws trying to make a wide open one hit wonder pass. It is actual competition racing if you can't make the line in the next round you lose...

9's period is competitive in SS with a low 10 second pass winning it at worlds. In PS however at the worlds their were three trucks that were consistent in the 8's, with an 8 second pass needed to make the finals and an 8 second pass winning it... That is a HUGE spread, far bigger than SD to SS.

I can appreciate that and done that myself on several occasions. However with winters here being well below 0F, and snow on the ground from now until April a garage is pretty mandatory LOL.

What I was getting at. Your truck would likely compete in PS if it's 1/8 mile.

As for the rest of it. You guys can figure it out. I'm just sharing what many of those fast guys out there are saying. And whether anyone likes it or not. They are building their stuff for the big events that pay well. Unfortunately those aren't nhrda races. So adjust or they aren't coming. Don't want to make anyone mad.

Last edited:
I'd say nothing happens this year. One more year to get their heads around things and I'd imagine some sort of switch up will appear for 2016. I'd say if a change is going to be made. They will give a heads up during the previous season instead of making it in the off season.

Same song different year, another class added to what is there is no a good idea, combining PS and SS makes more sense. What makes the most sense is that I sold my trucks and race a gasser now, a lot of it 1/8 mile which is actually kind of fun and over in a hurry.

1) At what point did I say i dislike 1/8th mile racing? I think it is stupid as hell to have an event that runs every class except one through the 1/4 because some people can't keep it together. You think FC and TF dragsters are on full tilt every pass? No they are trying tune it to the track and conditions to use as much as they CAN not all they HAVE.

2) So 4wd trucks aren't safe running in the 1/4? How much safer is a 2wd? So should we outlaw 4wd trucks in 1/4 now since it is such a safety concern? I do not care what you build to race as long as it meets the rules. Yes if you can't keep from breaking every time you run the quarter it might be wise to dial it back a bit. This isn't street outlaws trying to make a wide open one hit wonder pass. It is actual competition racing if you can't make the line in the next round you lose...

Where do you think the idea to run 1/8th mile came from, exactly? 90% of the races are over at the 660. There's absolutely no reason to run a 5,000 lb truck to 160mph.

Last edited:
Where do you think the idea to run 1/8th mile came from, exactly? 90% of the races are over at the 660. There's absolutely no reason to run a 5,000 lb truck to 160mph.

The point is most 1/8 mile events are that, all 1/8th mile... To have every class except for a single bottom rung pro class run the 1/4 would be ridicules. You would either need to run every one from PS and higher class, run the 8th or all class's run the 8th.

How do you explain to the average fan at a NHRA well we only run the Pro Stock cars in the 8th mile and the Nitro classes still run 1000'.

Last edited:
There have been several close calls. Hopefully we never find out, but if a 6000# super street truck goes end over end at 130+, it's going to be ugly. At that point, the whole game will change. New specs for cages, tires will be looked at for weight rating, crankshaft height, etc.

We'd be better off to get ahead of it now, and keep the heavy/fast trucks to the 1/8 mi. It's not so much about the mph, but the mph at heavy race weights.

There have been several close calls. Hopefully we never find out, but if a 6000# super street truck goes end over end at 130+, it's going to be ugly. At that point, the whole game will change. New specs for cages, tires will be looked at for weight rating, crankshaft height, etc.

We'd be better off to get ahead of it now, and keep the heavy/fast trucks to the 1/8 mi. It's not so much about the mph, but the mph at heavy race weights.

I have said that for several years. The current NHRA safety rules were never intended for 4,500 to 6k trucks. However the 8th really does not change this fact either. I have seen as many or more bad accidents on the 8th.

Last edited:
Changing to the 1/8 is just changing the rules to help 4 wheel drives that really should not being racing anyway in anything but ET IMO. This takes the incentive away to build a real diesel race car / truck. I understand the other side also but personally bummed out by the 1/8 stuff.

You guys remember this from 2008? He wasn't going all that fast either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFs45axvfA

That was the first time I saw the video too... crazy for sure!!!

I have said that for several years. The current NHRA safety rules were never intended for 4,500 to 6k trucks. However the 8th really does not change this fact either. I have seen as many or more bad accidents on the 8th.

I wholeheartedly AGREE!!! Some of the cages I see in diesel drags amaze me!!!! In my opinion the speed based rules for cages and such were developed for low slung cars weighing 2000-3500 pounds not 5000-7000 pounds and the laws of physics dictate that double the mass at the same speed will result in significantly MORE energy involved in any impact meaning the cages and safety items need to be built stronger and better four our heavy trucks!!!

Guys that use EW 1.5-inch diameter 0.080 wall tubing and smaller for their cages are asking for trouble... The desert racing orgs have it right in requiring tube diameters and tubing wall thickness based on weight not speed. When we build the cage for my truck it will be built to SCORE standards and that means using DOM 2-inch diameter 0.120 wall tubing for the main structure not something that will fold in on me in a wreck!!! I really wish the Diesel drag race orgs would step up and have rules like this because I really worry that someone will get killed and bring diesel drag racing to a screeching halt!!!

Safety gear, or lack thereof is a whole 'nother story!!!

I say run the diesels to 1000' like the nitro top fuel dragsters/funny cars, then the diesel industry will become a hiss and a byword, scorned for presuming to be equal to the ranks of the mighty fuel cars.....

Changing to the 1/8 is just changing the rules to help 4 wheel drives that really should not being racing anyway in anything but ET IMO. This takes the incentive away to build a real diesel race car / truck. I understand the other side also but personally bummed out by the 1/8 stuff.

I agree that some of this is fueled by people thinking it is going to help the 4wd trucks in PS. I however also believe that if everyone went to the 8th for the class those same guys will be crying all over again after gearing changes are made.

A lot of people also believe that their 6.2x 8th mile time has them closer to the guys running 5.8x and so on but that is a bus length at the end of the day.

I agree that some of this is fueled by people thinking it is going to help the 4wd trucks in PS. I however also believe that if everyone went to the 8th for the class those same guys will be crying all over again after gearing changes are made.

A lot of people also believe that their 6.2x 8th mile time has them closer to the guys running 5.8x and so on but that is a bus length at the end of the day.

I think the 8th mile change is being put in place to help keep trucks together and running. I'm fine with either. But nearly all the races are over by the 1/8 anyhow.

Back