6.4L fuel milage???

I have a buddy who traded in his 2005 for 2008....basically the same features i.e. Lariet, auto, 4x4 etc etc and he says loaded with 8000lbs he only gets 8-9 mpg.....I said holy snikeys....my 05 Ford gets 13ish pulling the same load and my Darge gets 18-19.

What gives with the 6.4L milage?

Don't own an 08 or newer, but I find it that real world owners never get what is "said" to be expected. I think it was Diesel Power Magazine, don't hold me to that, who did a big comparison on the diesel and the gasser and the diesel supposedly got all of this mileage with a small load and even empty. What gives? My dad has the same issue with an 06 3500 dodge. Low mileage, and it is even all stock...

What the point of burning fuel cleaner with that crappy exhaust setup?Is it better to have cleaner exhaust or to burn two times the amount of fuel?Sombody needs to give their head a shake.

The first 3500 miles it dumps a bunch of fuel in the exhaust to condition the particulate filter. Yank the top of the air filter box off. Even without a filter in there it still sucks the filter minder down. That cant be helping the fuel economy.

It's rediculous in my opinion. I love the guys who state, "Well, I didn't buy this truck for the mileage."

Yeah, I hope you didn't, otherwise you'd have bought a hybrid. But geeze, how are Dodge and GM doing so well on the same emissions-requirements, on single-turbos, and higher mpg?

Granted, it has the highest tow rating which means a lot to a lot of people.

As far as I know, Cummins is meeting 2010 requirements. Not sure about the Duramax.

What's next for Ford, an 8 liter with four turbos and 4-5 mpg? Lord knows someone would buy it.

Nick

If you're really towing or hauling weight...... get a 650 Cummins/Allison combo and be done with it. If you're pulling hard enough to burn 4~6 MPG, you need a LARGER truck. Hell, a tractor with a 500HP Cummins will get that kind'a mileage.

One of my shops here locally is getting 11-12 empty with a 4x4 350 dually auto and 8-9 pulling Mustangs home from swap meets on an open single car trailer.

Needless to say he is po'd considering this is 6th Powerstroke and he knows what the previous gens would get in the same situation.

Unless fuel permanently goes back down to $1.50-$2.00 I believe between the $50K window stickers and the pp fuel economy we have seen the end of the casual 3/4 and 1 ton diesel p/u owner. Just my .02

It wont be the end for long. The diesel p/u market is huge. If they get to where they arent selling hardley any, they will lose alot of money. Something will be figured out. I personally think that once the pcms on these new trucks are "cracked" they will all have alot of potential. Especially the 6.4 PSD and 6.7 Cummins. Common Rail technology is proven.

TooMuchBoost said:
One of my shops here locally is getting 11-12 empty with a 4x4 350 dually auto and 8-9 pulling Mustangs home from swap meets on an open single car trailer.

Needless to say he is po'd considering this is 6th Powerstroke and he knows what the previous gens would get in the same situation.

Unless fuel permanently goes back down to $1.50-$2.00 I believe between the $50K window stickers and the pp fuel economy we have seen the end of the casual 3/4 and 1 ton diesel p/u owner. Just my .02

This is a very true situation. I was talking with some of the engineers on the superduty platform the other day and they are anticipating a declining of market share for the 3/4 ton diesels by 2012. With the new diesel 1/2 tons rappidly approaching and they will be under serious scrutiny to get fuel economy over a gas engine....I know if the new 4.5L duramax gets the claimed fuel economy and power there saying it will be bye bye to my 250 and hello to new 1/2 ton!

Basically, it comes down to what the market was wanting versus what they needed? These doctors and lawyers and moms, and people who didn't really need a 3/4T truck, buying these trucks, getting the market up and driving everything up. We, the consumers, want bigger and better. Bigger brakes, bigger GCVW numbers, bigger hp, better towing. What we've ended up with is a medium-duty style truck in a light-truck market. It's a great towing rig but only 30% of the market probably truly uses the full capabilities of those trucks.

Fuel mileage sucks only getting about 9-10 mpg......Have seen 11 once....:cheer: .........:umno:

I recently bought a 2008 Ford. Left to drive to Minnesota from Houston with 1475 miles on the truck. Got (hand calculated) 17.9 mpg on the way up with the cruise set the majority of the way at 78-82 mph. On the way back I pulled a trailer (not sure of exact weight) which was a 6X12 tandem axle fully loaded and avg'd 13.2 on the way back and drove basically the same mph cruise set on the way back. Now cruising around town I am seeing over 12 but not quite 13 yet and getting 18-21 on the highway now depending on driving conditions. SCT is going on week after new years so will see what that does as well.

GMC2500HD said:
I recently bought a 2008 Ford. Left to drive to Minnesota from Houston with 1475 miles on the truck. Got (hand calculated) 17.9 mpg on the way up with the cruise set the majority of the way at 78-82 mph. On the way back I pulled a trailer (not sure of exact weight) which was a 6X12 tandem axle fully loaded and avg'd 13.2 on the way back and drove basically the same mph cruise set on the way back. Now cruising around town I am seeing over 12 but not quite 13 yet and getting 18-21 on the highway now depending on driving conditions. SCT is going on week after new years so will see what that does as well.

That's respectable mileage!

The reported mileage has kept me away from the 6.4.

It doesn't appear any tuners out there are done & ready to deliver the goods for improved performance & mileage, yet? It used to be, better mileage along with performance gains with a tuner. I'm hoping those days are not gone.

I'm expecting different stage performnace packages based on keeping the DFP vs not.

Below is just for example & discussion, not accurate, you get the point.

Stage 1. Tuner, AFE intake & Exhaust with DFP

Stage II. Chip, Intake, Injectors, Exhaust without DFP

Stage III. Etc, Etc.

Has anyone set the standard for what anyone can expect or is it still too soon. I was hoping we would have some systems available by Christmas.

Sorry if I hijacked thread, because my questions are not just mileage based.

:thankyou2:

I traded my old 7.3 off for a 6.4 ran off road tune on the 7.3 24/7 and would get 15/16 mpg with loads of power, the 6.4 is getting 13/14 so far in town and on the highway haven't towed over 6k yet it only has 3k miles, will jump on any proven addons to improve milage. Kent

Im getting 12-14 mpg empty and bone stock right now. Ive had my truck 2 weeks and have 2300 miles on it. I will be doing the Tuner, DPF delete, intake, and exhaust work.

For anyone asking who has it out. Spartan Diesel has theirs and Kem performance has theirs too. They seem to maken really good #'s come out of it.

CJ

Whats really sad is the Volvo VN670's I work with get 4-6mpg moving around 70,000lb+ of mass with a 14L Cummins ISX! They have been known to get 10-14mpg when bobtailing.

Back