3126 cat n an ambulance chassis

Buddy of mine has a pair in a boat with 2300hrs. He had injector issues on one, but thats been about it. They run stout.

Buddy of mine has a pair in a boat with 2300hrs. He had injector issues on one, but thats been about it. They run stout.

I saw there is an early and a late..and that rubber hose feeding the oil pump is a no no..rubber breaks off and ruins inj...that and dirty oil

What model 3126 is it? I have one in a 2002 GMC Topkick that was only made 1 year before they went to the C7. My opinion it's a gutless POS and when it dies will get a twin turbo 5.9 Cummins shoved in it. I believe mine is a 3126D or E. I wanted the hp bumped from the 210 to 300 and CAT refused to do it the way it was unless I spent $15k to do all the upgrades.

Last edited:
Cat's idea of an overhaul on the 3100 is a new block, if that puts into perspective how many have broken rings.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

What model 3126 is it? I have one in a 2002 GMC Topkick that was only made 1 year before they went to the C7. My opinion it's a gutless POS and when it dies will get a twin turbo 5.9 Cummins shoved in it. I believe mine is a 3126D or E. I wanted the hp bumped from the 210 to 300 and CAT refused to do it the way it was unless I spent $15k to do all the upgrades.

We had a topkick also, ours had the 3116. It was a turd.

Cat's idea of an overhaul on the 3100 is a new block, if that puts into perspective how many have broken rings.

Cummins is the same on any non sleeved block. Your not getting a warranty if they don’t know the condition of your cylinders. Has been cheaper to get a recon vs overhaul on even the ISX lately.

That’s the same for all the brands, they will not upgrade HP if the internals don’t match. Customer tried to get a POS Volvo engine uprated and dealer wouldn’t do it because he only had a 14 series transmission and they claimed he needed a 16 series for the torque which everyone knows is BS.

This is why you never go to dealers for HP. No different than taking your Ford/Dodge/Chevy cab and chassis to the dealer to get the same Hp as the pickups, not going to happen.

The 3126 is by no means an amazing engine but it’s the same as a 5.9/6.7 cummins just HUEI.

if its gonna run down the road with my toyhauler behind it at 68 mph for 12 hrs and not seem like its gonna be struggling the whole time ill be ahead of the game...my 02 is on the limit all the time seems like....it aint gonna work like a hot shot truck..its an rv hauler and tractors and hay and feed and stuff...

like any of em I guess...good and bad..not sure which model it is..old or new version..something about a round top oil pump being the early model??

You'll like it. After you tow with a mid size truck vs a pickup you wonder why you have ever used a pickup. They get around in tight spots almost just as well and you can actually stop. Then you consider the price of a pickup vs a truck and you could buy several for the price of a new pickup.

Cummins is the same on any non sleeved block. Your not getting a warranty if they don’t know the condition of your cylinders. Has been cheaper to get a recon vs overhaul on even the ISX lately.

That’s the same for all the brands, they will not upgrade HP if the internals don’t match. Customer tried to get a POS Volvo engine uprated and dealer wouldn’t do it because he only had a 14 series transmission and they claimed he needed a 16 series for the torque which everyone knows is BS.

This is why you never go to dealers for HP. No different than taking your Ford/Dodge/Chevy cab and chassis to the dealer to get the same Hp as the pickups, not going to happen.

The 3126 is by no means an amazing engine but it’s the same as a 5.9/6.7 cummins just HUEI.

Yeah unfortunately there is no one around here that messes with the big stuff so the dealer was all I had. I ended up putting a bully dog tuner on it and it helped it some but it runs into a dead pedal type situation where when you are running it it'll lose horsepower just by coming off the accelerator and then going back down on it. It has some kind of programming or electrical issue

he will be back from ark picking up his new loaded mac daddy dually ram so ill get to drive it and see it better then..but for 15k..or less I hope...idk how I cant

I've been curious what one will do with 514 style injectors and a 464 from a C9.

The 3126 with coffee can pump and square top injectors are more durable from a fuel system stand point. Throw a solenoid on the pump from time to time.

The C7 engines pumps are trash. They litter the oil rail that supplied the injectors with metal. Cat has a filter kit available now.

I can provide you with the iron splits if it helps you.

The engine family pretty much splits at 230hp. The same engine hp can have aluminum or steel pistons, two different Turbos, different balancer.

I've been curious what one will do with 514 style injectors and a 464 from a C9.

The 3126 with coffee can pump and square top injectors are more durable from a fuel system stand point. Throw a solenoid on the pump from time to time.

The C7 engines pumps are trash. They litter the oil rail that supplied the injectors with metal. Cat has a filter kit available now.

The engine family pretty much splits at 230hp. The same engine hp can have aluminum or steel pistons, two different Turbos, different balancer.

Done several pump swaps and injector replacements on the common rail C7S. With a tune they are bad mf’ers but that fuel system is trash. Almost like the Bosch system on the DD13/15 that comes apart and puts metal in everything including the fuel tanks.

man I appreciate the input but I have no idea wtf yer talking about...I know little about these...the round top pump is better? they have that rubber fuel line to the pump that contaminates everything?

iron splits? guessing that's the specs on it...lol..idk man:umno:

man I appreciate the input but I have no idea wtf yer talking about...I know little about these...the round top pump is better? they have that rubber fuel line to the pump that contaminates everything?

iron splits? guessing that's the specs on it...lol..idk man:umno:

It’s dealer speak for you have to change internal parts to go over stock HP.

Change the oil, install a pyro and rock out.

Done several pump swaps and injector replacements on the common rail C7S. With a tune they are bad mf’ers but that fuel system is trash. Almost like the Bosch system on the DD13/15 that comes apart and puts metal in everything including the fuel tanks.
We haven't caught any losing metal, usually leaking solenoids or the cooling jet on the rocker arm is stopped so the solenoid on the injector isn't being cooled any more and they die. We barely see them now though, so they could all have major pump failures late in life and no-one would bring them to us. I have four in my territory that I'm aware of.

Back