Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel

I pulled the trigger on a 2014 today, I pick it up on Monday. Regular cab 8' long bed 4x4 tradesman. I start driving it to work on Tuesday, a nice short 89 miles each way 5 days a week.

Cool, keep us posted on your results with the truck as you put the miles on it.

Picked it up on Monday evening with 17 miles on it. It now as 299 on it. Per the computer when I picked it up average MPG was 17.1, it is now sitting at 23.9. My commute is 89 miles each way, 65 being interstate that I am doing 75ish on. While this is not as good of mileage as my Jetta, it is heavier, 4x4, and a truck not a car.

I was not sure on the automatic trans, but so far it is doing great, not hunting for gears and not dragging down in RPM, downshifting as I feel appropriate 95+% of the time.

I now have 1603 on it, average MPG according to the computer is between 24 and 25. I towed my empty little trailer (3300#) to work last week, took the computer MPG to 18 from 26 but towed it well, not as well as my 2500 but it did the job fine. DEF has went from a half a tank to just over a needle under a half tank.

I have 4900 on it now, average MPG is up to 27.5. Towed a load of structural metal decking a week or so ago, it did great with a total of about 6500# behind me. MPH was about 17 to 18, due to the way it was loaded and traffic I could only go 50 MPH, did not hand calculate it, nor have I every hand calculated anything. So far it is well worth it and I sure have had many ask how I liked it and if I would buy one again.

How is the DEF consumption?
I would be curious how it would handle a large enclosed trailer(IE lots of wind drag)

I will be pulling My 4-place enclosed snowmobile trailer to summer storage, I will let you know How it does, I have 3.92 gears 2015 (ED 3.0). My guess on the DEF 1 GP 600-1000 miles. You can find DEF on sale at Menards 2.5 Gallons for $8.00. My 6.7s are about 1 GP 400 miles when pulling the same trailer across MN,ND,MT to our cabin in West Yellowstone, I drive 70-75 MPH and Avg 8-10 MPG in My 6.7s

I have put 5 gallons of DEF in and the tank is just a needle under 3/4, was at 1/2 when I bought it. I would say it is more like 1200-1500 miles per 1 gallon of DEF. Remember my drive is highway, almost 75% pure interstate, at least 40% of total miles are with cruise set. I do not have access to an enclosed trailer to test it out, but judging from my other hauling I have done with it, including a tractor, I would think it would do fine, but definitely not as easy as it is for my Cummins.

Last edited:
I have 4900 on it now, average MPG is up to 27.5. Towed a load of structural metal decking a week or so ago, it did great with a total of about 6500# behind me. MPH was about 17 to 18, due to the way it was loaded and traffic I could only go 50 MPH, did not hand calculate it, nor have I every hand calculated anything. So far it is well worth it and I sure have had many ask how I liked it and if I would buy one again.

So...Would you?

The most I tow is about 6k, so this info does sound better than I was expecting.

Yes, I must have had to run and didn't get to complete my thought. I would buy one again, nothing different that what I have.

Gas mileage is 99 Billion MPG, Fuel mileage is around 17ish towing, I am sure if it was sustained it would be lower, like 15ish most likely, but you are not going to tow around anything heavy, I would say the highest I would want to tow would be around 8k. The coil suspension definitely enhances any improperly loaded trailers and trailer sway, FYI.

Gas mileage is 99 Billion MPG, Fuel mileage is around 17ish towing, I am sure if it was sustained it would be lower, like 15ish most likely, but you are not going to tow around anything heavy, I would say the highest I would want to tow would be around 8k. The coil suspension definitely enhances any improperly loaded trailers and trailer sway, FYI.

Thanks for posting. I just bought a new camper for us to go camping in, it weights 6600 dry it's a 33' trailer.

I was curious about this truck, and if it would pull it okay. Wouldn't need to tow it often, just once in a while if changing campgrounds.

Tony

I would say that if it was me, I would tow that trailer with my 2500 CTD over the 1500 Eco, but I have that option. If I only had one truck and rarely had to move said camper then I would think it would be OK, but if it is windy I feel sorry for you with that sail behind you.

Thanks for the input Travis, yeah she's a pretty decent size. Having it delivered to the campground. Hopefully we'll like the campground, going to stay as a seasonal.

I now have 8450 miles on it. Average MPG is 27ish. I burned right at 5 gallons of DEF in 7000 miles, so 1400 miles per gallon.

Biggest issue I am having right now is finding oil filter, fuel filter, and oil for it. From the dealer oil is $9.45 per quart, it takes 10.5 quarts, fuel filter is $49, and oil filter is $69. I know that the oil filter has been made aftermarket but can only be purchased on ebay. Still looking for oil and fuel filter online for less than the dealer.

I would say that if it was me, I would tow that trailer with my 2500 CTD over the 1500 Eco, but I have that option. If I only had one truck and rarely had to move said camper then I would think it would be OK, but if it is windy I feel sorry for you with that sail behind you.

Don't think some stabilizers and airbags would help?

I have put probably 3000 miles on my megacab in the last 2 years. I am thinking of selling it, and picking up the ecodiesel. I have a large enclosed trailer, however the most weight I will haul would be 10K, and that would probably be less than 5 times a year.

You need to hook up 8000 lbs or so and see how it does.

I think if it had airbags it would help, the coil springs definitely more more than flat springs.

I will be hooking up to that very soon, just got the go ahead for some free pavers, 3050# per pallet, and I need 8 pallets. I do not want to make very many trips since they are 75 miles from the house, so I think I will grab two to three per trip so I only have to make three trips. I will let you know how it does for sure.

Back