Rebirth of Monster Mudder

Went and raced in Alva, OK yesterday, ended up making 5 passes at the race. Made my first run in class 6a and they didn't get a time, so I had to make a second pass. First pass is much faster than my 2nd pass. Ended up 4th in the class.

In class 3, I was the first truck in the class and didn't think I made a good pass, guess I should have kept it and not done a rerun. My second pass was much slower (2 seconds slower) and ended up not placing. If I'd kept my first pass, I would have been 2nd in the class. Truck wouldn't move after my 2nd pass in class three after i got out of the pit. Had to be towed back to the staging area. I let the truck run and the trans coolers running and by the time we got back to the staging area, truck would move again. I don't think the converter is locking up. Think it got fubar'd with the other two trans trashings. Will call Phil this week about getting the converter loosened up and it checked out. Won't be able to do it before my next race so will probably an after the season thing.

Had to use a jump box on my truck before my class 4 run as the battery was way down. Think it will be time for a new battery before next season. I had to sit there and idle the truck waiting on the first truck to run in the class as I was 2nd in the class. He had to be jumped as well and that took forever to get him going with my battery dying fast. I made my class 4 run and ended up 2nd in the class, ran the truck back to the trailer and drove it on, the battery was almost completely drained by that point.

Class 6a first pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f854xjMyI8

Class 6a 2nd pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hewl9ct6BVM

Class 3 first pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qj2nTsckc

Class 3 2nd pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibGGG1QQ5k

Class 4 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOkIK2y1Dig

Those pictures from the last race are awesome! The truck sounds great too. In the 2nd pass in the first class, was the trans having issues about 3/4 through the pit? It almost seemed like the truck slowed way down but the rpm's were staying the same. But the next passes looked and sounded normal. Nice runs. Definitely looked like a rough pit through out the day.

yeah, the fluid got really hot from what I can tell from the 2 back to back passes with not enough time running it through the coolers between runs. Think this is because lockup doesn't seem to be working on the converter. Think i messed up the converter with the other problems I had. Only got logger data on a partial run on my last run and it showed slippage around 51% in the transmission. Going to adjust the pickup on the front driveshaft this week and hopefully get better data this weekend.

I can only spool the truck up to about 20psi before it starts pushing on the brakes, hoping the converter can be loosened up more.

Think i messed up the converter with the other problems I had.

That sucks! Running WOT without being locked makes the trans fluid get hot in a hurry. It seems like when you get past 220F, things start to slip (from my experience). Do you have a probe in the trans pan?

No, I don't have one in there yet, it's on my list of next sensors to buy for the data logger, but I have to buy a node and 4 sensors to add to it at a time, so plan on getting Trans pressure, Trans Temp, EGT and either back pressure on Exhaust manifold or a temp sensor post intercooler. I want to measure temps before and after the intercooler, so may do the back pressure first and then both temps together on a second node when I can afford it.

I still have my pressure gauge hooked up to the transmission, and can see it on my go pro videos to see how the pressures are. They are where they should be now.

Just got off the phone with Phil at DPC and going to rush him my converter after the race this weekend and try to get it turned around before the last race of the season on the Oct 15th and see if I can go out with a bang. Also going to have him loosen up the converter more while he is into it.

Couldn't answer that, I told Phil all my info and what I was doing and he built the converter for me. Don't know what's on the inside of it.

Ask him. It may help you get through the pit. If you have a V10/V10 and are running it non locked up, they don't pull for chit. You'll want to be locked up after your launch to transfer your power other wise it's just going to build heat and not really go anywhere fast. He definitely can get it set up how you need it if you let him know what's going on.

Hey Coaltrain! Its about time I got on board CompD, and thanks for the shoutout on our valve body, we do appreciate that!

No problem, really appreciated how quickly you were able to build it, test it and ship it out to me.

Raced this weekend, ended up going to Iola, Ks at Wide Open Speed Part since with all the rain, our org's race was cancelled. Ran 3 classes, a Cut tire class 6, a 40" tire class 5 and a 38.5" tire class 4b. Didn't get in the money for classes 6 and 4b but did place 3rd in the 40" tire class. I was able to get the turbo to 40psi before I launched all 3 runs, so I don't think I will get it restalled when phil fixes the lockup mechanism.

Class 6 cut tire run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3_5bqIB1Y

Class 5 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImb6mUlkrk

Class 4b run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKp_VBsjbkw

I only got run data on my first pass. I must has shut the power off too soon on the 2nd run and had to steel the fuse for the Data Logger on my 3rd run when I popped the run circuit trying to start the truck with a low battery.

Just shifted to 2nd gear on this run, slippage at the end of the run was around 43% at the end of the pass. The run took 4.7 seconds, my 2nd run with Dot tires was 5.1 seconds in 2nd gear and my 3rd pass I went to 2nd gear using the same dot tires as my second pass and ran a 5.0. Fuel pressure looks great and is hanging in where I've been wanting it running the dual Air Dog's and dual feeding the injection pump. Boost topped out at 55psi

29161325284_6f44162e56_b.jpg

29706532551_2c307dc671_b.jpg

Think my next performance upgrade is going to be getting more fuel from the injection pump and sending it off to Seth to have it turned into a 13mm p pump. Just need to figure out how to pay for it.

Truck is really starting to get squat in the back and lift in the front on launches, just need to get some weight shifted to the back more. Really starting to think about either moving the front axle forward 6" or moving the engine and body back. Not sure my wife is ready for me to jump on that task yet out in the shop after the transmission ordeal this summer.

The Crowd loved the truck, sold a few T shirts at the race and after my last run, a couple of little kids came running up with their T shirts wanting me to sign them.

I do have quite a few T shirts left for sale, they can be bought online if you want one, I use paypal to process cards or will ship them out via USPS priority if you are interested in one.
http://www.johnniebrown.com/for-sale/hikashop-menu-for-products-listing
27408207555_a76ffbbab9_b.jpg

Funny thing, on the way to the race, we stopped at a little road side station for a bathroom break and to fill up my tow rig since I forgot to top the tank off before we left and in whips this semi onto the side of the road. This big black guy jumps out and starts looking at the truck, told me it was awesome and then jumps back in his semi and takes off. We get all kinds of reactions pulling the truck to and from the races from other motorists....

Washed the truck yesterday mid day after getting it unloaded and then pulled it into the shop last night after getting home from watching Sully with the wife. I don't think I would ever want to travel with Tom Hanks... Just saying. My son and I whipped the transmission out in under 2 hours and the converter is sitting on the bench. Need to suck the fluid out of it and then get it boxed up and shipped out to Phil today.

29162948023_e93771d979_b.jpg

29162947033_4277e79da2_b.jpg

29162946583_16b26c9656_b.jpg

Not much been going on since my last race, talked to Phil today and he has my converter back together, it has been fried. No clutch material left. He upgraded it for the higher pressures and it is on it's way back here. Need to put the trans on the stand in the next few days and pop forward and direct out so I can check them and see how they fared.

Received copies of the CP-Carrillo diesel flyer they put together with my truck on the cover, so much awesomeness.

29865462205_a697f2b5c4_b.jpg

While I'm twiddling my thumbs, started laying out my small welding cart for the farm.

29782935241_55a6189535_b.jpg

29865461935_939a700fbd_b.jpg

Thinking of modifications to the truck for next season... and looking at moving to a 13mm P/B p pump. Are the aftermarket p pump cam's worth it? Who else besides Hamilton makes one? Who's is better?

I already have a 5k gsk in the pump and am running SDX Comp DV's, would there be any benefits moving to full cuts?

Are larger DV holders needed or larger lines or are those just marketing gimmicks?

If I was contemplating a 13mm pump I would call Seth Farrell and Kevin at Northeast Diesel and talk to them both. I don't think you will find 2 people who know more about building one. Should give you enough good info to decide what route to go down.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

I'm guessing no one on here has any opinions on pump modifications like the cam options, larger DV holders and larger lines.

Got the converter back from Phil on Thursday night, been tied up at the hospital with the mother in law in the hear hospital getting checked out, so I've been slow on working on the truck. But tonight, I was able to wash the outside of the trans and break it down enough to pull the front section out and check the clutches. Glad I did, the modified plate on direct to allow more clutches was broke, all ears but one.

The clutches on the other hand looked great for both forward and reverse.

Will call WIT tomorrow and get another plate and put the trans back together for the last race of the season.

29995143581_77081989a5_b.jpg

29995145141_c04c21b552_b.jpg

29451205283_db2a232404_b.jpg

29450551034_d617a659e0_b.jpg

Never seen one do that before. Curious how thick was the plate where it rides on the snap ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's doing good, they had to put 3 stents in and will hopefully come home today.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised the plate broke. Picked up the 9.00 worth of parts, new pressure plate, couple of gaskets and a new filter yesterday.

Measured the new plate vs the broken plate. New measures .116", broken measures .113" so basically 3 thou difference.

Gotta put another wheel bearing assembly on my dually tonight, change the oil and rotate the tires, so will hopefully be putting the trans back together tomorrow night and then get it back in the truck.

Are you using a pressure plate out of the forward drum in direct for the added clutch?

I always have the factory pressure plate from direct machined to about .140 and am able to fit 5 .085 clutches and steels in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back