Gear and Frame question

Burningtire

So first question is, I got a d80 rear and d60 front. Right now its a 3.54 ratio and im looking to go to 4.88s. If i bought the ring and pinion would these mount up and work fine on the differentials i have now? Or would i have to buy different ones that are able to run them? Also with the 4.88s what gear are you guys running? I have a auto transmission.

Second question is i heard a few guys talking about taking supports out of the frame to allow it to flex more while going down the track. Has any one on here done that? Like remove the rear cross member where the shock bolts up to.

You can put a ring gear spacer on the front and reuse your stock carrier. 4.88 and 35's seem to be the combo for the top trucks. A good machinist could probably work up something for the rear, however you will need something besides that Dana 80 posi. Much HP at all and you will destroy the spider gears in it.

Last edited:
4.88 is a good choice for an auto. 4.10 are probably the worst gear ratio for an auto. 2nd locked up is like a 16:1 final and 3rd is around 10:1

from phone

Last edited:
See i get such mixed reviews, some say not to run 4.88s and some say i should. Reason why im leaning towards 4.88s is that it seems like that's what alot of guys are running and its doing dam well. So what would a machinist have to do to make it work?

And also what kind of axle would you recommend over a 80? 3rd gens?

Ive been pulling for two years so its all still a learning experience for me. When you say get your chassis set up, what exactly are you talking about? Hitch, Traction bars, bump stops? Right now i got traction bars and stops. Hitch is gonna be moved in further when i swap all my stuff to my new frame.

Back