Swole's Infamy of Carnage Continues!!

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
Just wanted to start a new thread. I mentioned my recent bad luck (yesterday 071010) in a couple of other threads and don't want to hi-jack them further.

This new build has just over 1K miles on it and was running pretty well. Had been testing the new SSR Smarty but hadn't got it exactly right just yet. It was showing promise though.

Yesterday I was enroute to Commerce GA to the nhrda race to watch and support Jeff , Rick, and a few others. I was just cruising down the hwy. at 75-80 mph and was on the phone. All the sudden we hear this loud "Rattle or Clattering" coming from under the hood near the fire wall area ( I could hear it behind the radio / ac controls and towards the floor). Jason said, "What the F is that". I just through it up in neutral and then looked in the rear view mirror and saw a HUGE plume of White Smoke covering the hwy. behind me.

I coasted to the side of the hwy. and shut it down quick as I could. Just before shut down, it was still running but was rough. I can't remember if the loud clattering was going on at idle still. I was too much in a, "WTF! I can't believe this mode".......

Anyway, I just unloaded all my crap in my buddie's camry that was already on his way up to hang with us. Wrecker towed it to Jeff's for me and we went on to the track.

I am guessing that an injector tip broke off or split on me. Don is aware and has posted in the " SSR" thread about the option's on these tips. He says that most likely the very small tip went out the exhaust and didn't do much damage. I REALLY REALLY hope that it did just go straight out!!!! I guess it helped that it broke when I was just a Low RPM's and Low Boost, so as not to get my top turbo again like the piston rings did on my previous build.

I won't be able to get into it to pull the stix until Wed. or Thurs. I will have to post up then and share pics if I can.

So, I Infamy with carnage and bad luck continues for me!!!

David

PS. Mods, feel free to cut and past the replies from Bob / Marco's SSR thread that apply to my bad luck. Or any that may have derailed other's threads.

Don's post from the SSR thread..........

----------------------

"I am betting the tip of the nozzle blew off. It happens more than many may hear about.

The good news is, they nearly always blow the end of the sac off and it is a small piece. About the same size as half a BB. Since only the sac blows off, the pintle remains in the nozzle and this really negates damage. The piece blows out the exhaust and a new nozzle fixes the truck.

I have a couple of options on this. I can use a seat type nozzle, that is somewhat stronger just by design. They have a thicker cross sectional area near the tip VS a sac nozzle, but when they break off the pintle usually goes into the engine as well. Causing huge headaches and repairs.

The second option is the nozzle David has now. With a thinner cross section at the tip. When it fails, it breaks clean at the very end. The leaves the pintle in the nozzle and the damage is nill. The problem with the second option is the failure rate is twice as high.

The real long term answer is not going to be an easy fix. We are under a sizing restriction and the steel is already nearing the strength limitations of the best materials available to date. We have some serious development time into this issue on material and design. I hope it is 100% solution, but the time to get the parts finalized and into the mainstream is looking like months, not weeks.

The high pressure fuel system is very stressed. Dual pumps, modified pumps, and pressure elevating devices are hard on injector bodies and nozzles."

Not trying to be negative but why don't you put it back together without big horsepower in mind? You have been through what 3 engines? I hope you get it all squared away bud, it sucks to hear about this kind of stuff continuing to happen to you...

Dude I really think you need to try some different injectors. Im not ripping on anyone but after all your bad luck, I think its time after having so many problems that could be caused by injectors.

Sorry about your luck again. You should go buy a lotto ticket.

Not trying to be negative but why don't you put it back together without big horsepower in mind? You have been through what 3 engines? I hope you get it all squared away bud, it sucks to hear about this kind of stuff continuing to happen to you...

I agree! That was kinda my goal this go round but that "HP" thing is worse than drugs ( not that I would know....lol )

I am at less HP than I was on purpose though...at least by 100 hp or so....

I certainly was running less pressure...Took my pres. box off and only had the SSR up to 24.5 -25K or so....And have a TCDiesel RV that pops at 26-27K

I just think this is my desteny!! LOL

x2 tune it down little bit so you can enjoy it...

Thanks for the concern fella's.....

I'm leaving the crib to go see a movie, so catch up with this later this evening. And will certainly post my findings as soon as I can....

Good God Man

I didn't want to muck up the SSR thread.
Swole if I were you I would be so drunk buy now I wouldn't be able to read this.
These CR's are a pain in the ---.
Tips blowing off, Melting pistons, Dropping seats, Cracked bodies.
Soft plugs, Freeze plugs.
Put your relief valves back in, One relief valve not enough.
Six years into this and no end in sight.
Anybody else getting a discouraged?

I'm sure Don will help you out again but why not go with a different injector. I have F1s and many others do too so its not a whos who... its a OK these parts went bad lets try something else. I have often thought if these guys are so backed up and behind are these parts starting to be rushed out the door. I'm not speaking of F1 but in general if you guys understand what im saying. Look into Exergy Engineering, i have started to hear alot about them

Last edited:
I'm sure Don will help you out again but why not go with a different injector. I have F1s and many others do too so its not a whos who... its a OK these parts went bad lets try something else. I have often thought if these guys are so backed up and behind are these parts starting to be rushed out the door. I'm not speaking of F1 but in general if you guys understand what im saying. Look into Exergy Engineering, i have started to hear alot about them

Davids previous engines did not explode because of injector problems.

Whoever you go to, will have the same stock nozzle to use. It just becomes an issue of who you as a customer like to deal with for whatever reasons.

David has a custom nozzle on his injectors. A SAC hole style nozzle. They fail easier with these elevated stress volume and pressure levels, but give much better performance compared to a stock nozzle. On the 04.5+ engines we use the stock nozzle in probably 99% of the time, but they fail too. Just not as often. BUT, when they do fail, it is not pretty. We have always limited the use of the SAC nozzle to serious racers, etc. They typically understand that the fuel system is stressed to the MAX and oftentimes past what it was designed to operate in.

Think of it as a light weight connecting rod in high rev engines. Better performance but some sacrifice of durability. For 7 years we have used this type of nozzle in the 03-04 engine and for 4 years in the 04.5+. Failures are rare, but as the rail blocks, hi-po CP3's and dual pumps, etc came on the market, the failures have increased. The makers of pumps, and dual kits never did anything to relieve the additional volume or pressure they produce. I constantly complain and warn everyone to reel in the pressure and volume and it gets blown off by most.

David has the choice of what he wants to run. Be it a SAC style custom or the same stock nozzle that everyone else runs. Or even another brand.

But Don, people come to you for custom " performance " injectors and pay a premium because they have the extra fuel, psi, mods...etc. thinking they're getting what can handle it ???

Seems to me just lowering the system volume and subsequent offending pressure would make things much easier on EVERYONE involved with the CR's VS a P-PUMP or some other system.

But Don, people come to you for custom " performance " injectors and pay a premium because they have the extra fuel, psi, mods...etc. thinking they're getting what can handle it ???

There is NO injector ( either the body or the nozzle ) in the market from ANYONE that can handle these huge pressure spikes for any extended time.

This week, once again I replaced 8 injector bodies for various users. 1 of the cracked ones was a new fangled stainless steel body that is supposed to be a fix for pressure. LOL I am running out of core bodies, time and patience for all the failures caused by lack of people's "give a crap"

At some point, you would think that the subject would make some sense. Especially when we see stock trucks with cracked injector bodies and failures.

Remember that David had a pressure spike in his system last time that blew the line off the forkin' fittings. It stripped the GD threads off the thing. Do you even have an idea what kind of pressure that takes?

good luck to you and yours............

well, I'm not at all trying to discredit anything you do but, David doesn't have anything different than I do except your injectors. I've been on untouched stock bodies with EH tips since the truck was built. That included, twin pumps from PPE, a capped rail, modded rail and MP-8 which I've ran at 100% every time I've raced. I've seen my gauge at 29K whether it was really there or not. Maybe I've been lucky... don't know. As you know though, Bosch likely put millions into R&D and you're messing with that. You know the saying.... sometimes things are better off left alone. I truly can appreciate what you're trying to accomplish but.... is it working ?

Its to bad the CRIN3's won't run off the older ecu's. I can't believe how much better they are.

They are built from the get go for more pressure.

Its to bad the CRIN3's won't run off the older ecu's. Designed from the get go for more pressure. Still not immune to tip failure however.
I'm very impressed with them so far with the stand alone.

Back