Found another air shutoff!!

Doesn't matter as long as it's spring loaded.

Master Cutoff:
A sled- and driver-operated spring-loaded emergency air shut off is mandatory. The cable must
terminate into a two inch diameter steel ring.

BBD

I also have that valve for mine! It is a really great piece although pretty expensive but you pay for what you get! Its nice to have the electric actuator (Sledpullers is manual) and BBD's and mine are electric! reason I like it is because if you run a two way switch in the cab for it you can close the valve from in the in cab or send power to a break away trailer switch at the rear of the truck and then power from there up to the valve which makes it work great for sled pulling and easy and cheap to setup!

Right now I have mine mounted in my pipping going from my intercooler to my engine intake with blow off valves just before that to release air pressure when the valve is close suddenly. Over the winter when I put in my twins I will be removing the intercooler and just running from the twins right to the engine so I will be plumbing in the valve in the 3" pipe going to the head.

One other nice thing about this valve...its a great security device if you are in a high risk area! flip the switch to trip the valve, turn the power back off and you actually have to pop the hood to set the valve back to normal or the engine won't get air...there for no workie!!!!

RyanB

I think it would be cool to see one spring or pressure loaded and held by a magnet. An electric magnet, like those on business doors, would be a start. All you would need is a constant and a two or three step daisy system. Magnet to cab switch, cab switch to safety switch, safty switch to power and a ground. Loose power at any time and "whaamm" the valve is closed and will only open under power. .................then again, maybe a bad Idea?

RyanB said:
I also have that valve for mine! It is a really great piece although pretty expensive but you pay for what you get! Its nice to have the electric actuator (Sledpullers is manual) and BBD's and mine are electric! reason I like it is because if you run a two way switch in the cab for it you can close the valve from in the in cab or send power to a break away trailer switch at the rear of the truck and then power from there up to the valve which makes it work great for sled pulling and easy and cheap to setup!
RyanB

:ylsuper:

BBD

Just a quick question, Are you guys using electric to hold the valve open???? If so thats not what the rules call for....
BBD said "A sled- and driver-operated spring-loaded emergency air shut off is mandatory. The cable must terminate into a two inch diameter steel ring."Sounds like it has to be manual to me.
The NTPA will not allow electric solenoids to operate the air shut off for a reason.

Eric

Distributor said:
Just a quick question, Are you guys using electric to hold the valve open???? If so thats not what the rules call for....
BBD said "A sled- and driver-operated spring-loaded emergency air shut off is mandatory. The cable must terminate into a two inch diameter steel ring."Sounds like it has to be manual to me.
The NTPA will not allow electric solenoids to operate the air shut off for a reason.

Eric

The valve that I was talking about above it held open by that of a triger system. It is tripped with electric current. There isn't current going to it at all to keep it open. It is sort of like a gun! the spring inside is the charge (gun powder) the electrical charge is your finger on the trigger! in the open position it can't close unless you put power to it!

I don't see what the problem is with this setup having the ring/cable system and a break away trailer switch! it is the exact same setup all the modified gas pullers use to shut of there ignition system.

Anymore questions feel free at ask about it...its a pretty neat valve!

RyanB

Here are a few of my set up:

Ad_165_7.jpg

Ad_165_8.jpg

Ad_165_9.jpg

BBD

Thanks, but can you link to your diesel-central gallery? I can't see those without viewing them on diesel-central first.

brnadon.

They're required equipment in some classes of competition. They allow the operator (or sled operator) to remove the source of air for the engine. This helps if there is an unsafe operating condition, like a runaway.

brandon.

RyanB said:
The valve that I was talking about above it held open by that of a triger system. It is tripped with electric current. There isn't current going to it at all to keep it open. It is sort of like a gun! the spring inside is the charge (gun powder) the electrical charge is your finger on the trigger! in the open position it can't close unless you put power to it! ...

I think one of the reasons NTPA doesn't allow electric-actuated valves is for the very reason you like it. Yours requires voltage/current to close. If something oddly catastrophic happens that cuts the wiring, the sled operator can't kill the engine; the driver may not be able to, either. Rules might allow an electric shutoff that is spring loaded and requires power to keep it open, so if power is lost for any reason, the valve closes and kills the engine.

....that's why I thought a magnet would be nice. Time, temp, weather....none of that seems to bother a magnet.

Back