Found another air shutoff!!

I'd like to see one that use a ball, like a 5" ball for a 4" pipe. A solid ball will be drawn to the inlet, it will not hang.

The "yikes on price" is the exact reason I started, and stopped, putting together a shutoff. Just price the parts needed and the machining cost. That price is not out of line. If you can't afford it, stay off the track, cause there will be more you can't afford. So just save your money and maintain your calmness and composure.

..Preston..

house said:
That looks like ductwork sheetmetal? It looks like the price matches with the ability to stop an engine.

dscf0010.jpg

brnadon.

The best one I've seen so far, from a cost standpoint is an exhaust stack flapper. Clamp that sucker right to the inducer or a tube off the inducer. Various designs are out there, but if held open with a throttle cable through the counterweight and the band mount (picture worth thousand words) and spring loaded to snap shut on the inducer, it will stop runaways for about $7.50 plus ingenuity tax. :ylsuper:

Just an idea. It wont draw near the envious looks from the chicks out there as the $800 version, but you'll pass tech the same if done right.

Disadvantage to the Rain Cap method is you cant filter intake air.

other than the sheet metal part it is pretty decent. I think I am going to try to change out that part for a peice of stainless or something

Brandon, Kenny sells one just like that but its just spring loaded for 75$ u could add a small C02 tank and call it air :)

he has one that looks like the picture I posted? I thoguht it looked flimsy. I don't want an air shutoff because of the rules, I want one because of safety. I don't see how a 20ga piece of sheet steel wouldn't get sucked into the intake. I've seen a runaway with a tractor stack flapper on the intake and it KEPT ON RUNNING AWAY when tripped. The results of that one were not good.

brandon.

He uses them on pulling tractors (super stock and such ) , ill try to get a pic of one on a friends truck

The above sheetmetal shutoff, is risky at best. What happens, is the suction from the turbo, actually bends the sheetmetal,and makes it drag hard. The one I saw in action, FINALLY closed, it just took along time!!!!

The flappers are better, but will leak some air.

For absolute shutdown, the butterfly that BBDand I used is the best. yea they cost a little, 350+, but what does an engine cost?

If you want to try a sheetmetal guillotine, check out Mcmaster-Carr- I think I bought mine for $17.00.
In fact, I think I still have it--$100 LOL!!!!!

do these go in before or after the turbo?

it looks like i may need one to pull in some of the classes next season, along with driveshaft loops.

sleddy have a link, i dont mind spending 350ish on a good one, but 600 is takign away from trying to amke a ford have power fund

Back