"The 2.6 right now is 3.0 undercover."

A boooshing is probably the only thing we stand a chance on getting changed. I would like to see no MWE modifications and no additional opening in front of the compressor wheel.

A boooshing is probably the only thing we stand a chance on getting changed. I would like to see no MWE modifications and no additional opening in front of the compressor wheel.

The boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooshing is easier to check, but who can prove if it is an OEM MWE or not?

The reason for the protrusion is it will impact the HP some, over a wheel with no protrusion.

The boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooshing is easier to check, but who can prove if it is an OEM MWE or not?

The reason for the protrusion is it will impact the HP some, over a wheel with no protrusion.

Screw protrusion. Just put the boooshing ID at 2.600" this year, 2.550" next year, etc., costs everyone $50 a year to be legal.

I personally have not seen a stock MWE over approximately 0.125" but I have not seen every dang turbo in the world either. Like I said before there is no universal dimension for it so teching it as "stock" is fruitless.

I think the only way to quickly check the MWE is with a piece of wire/rod of the same diameter, bent at a couple angles to see if it'll slide in. If you're not pulling the cover, this would never work, as folks would be rightfully very reluctant to let some yahoo go fishing with a poker right next to the wheel.

What happens and what I and others would like to see happen are two different things. Wish in one hand and .... in the other.

Screw protrusion. Just put the boooshing ID at 2.600" this year, 2.550" next year, etc., costs everyone $50 a year to be legal.

I personally have not seen a stock MWE over approximately 0.125" but I have not seen every dang turbo in the world either. Like I said before there is no universal dimension for it so teching it as "stock" is fruitless.

I think the only way to quickly check the MWE is with a piece of wire/rod of the same diameter, bent at a couple angles to see if it'll slide in. If you're not pulling the cover, this would never work, as folks would be rightfully very reluctant to let some yahoo go fishing with a poker right next to the wheel.

Yea I guess that would work, you will still see the groups that want to keep the power down require protrusion, in the 2.6 class. Which will probably be the big pulls like TS and Scheid.

Agreed, but a .250 MWE is a little ridiculous.

No MWE in front of the compressor wheel eliminates both the race cover for the S300 and S400. 40hp on a clipped 2.6" wheel, difference was protrusion.

If it was still a full wheel, with a bushing, I can assure you it would be much more than 40hp, that is the problem with bushings.

I'm not sure I'm following you....are you saying that a bushing is more effective at killing HP than trimming it to protrusion?

No, if we can pick up 40hp with a clipped 2.6" wheel by only changing the cover, we could pick up much more by having the full flade wheel with a bushing. Bushings don't restrict power as well as the protrusion rule, the T6 housing needs to be checked.

For those turbo illiterate such as myself. If you have a 2.8 turbo with no MWE and one with a .25 "MWE" (placed in the ideal spot for airflow instead of for surging, as many have done) and both suck through a 2.6 bushing placed no closer than 6" to the wheel. How much difference is it going to make? Which will produce more power?

Now I know all turbos are not made the same, inducers/exducers, covers, flanges etc., but assuming both turbos were made by the same company, and as identical as possible....

Now I'm assuming (could be wrong and most likely am), that the turbo without the MWE is going to do better due to the limited air supply. I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of a difference with two 2.6 turbos with the same limitations, but assuming it would still have an effect.

Has anyone tried this or are we guessing?

Last edited:
If a restrictor is used, the turbocharger without an MWE groove will produce more hp. If a bushing or reduced bore is used, the turbocharger with an MWE will produce more hp. A big wheel behind a small opening without an MWE groove will produce a vacuum, with an MWE it will draw air through the groove, therefore improving efficiency. If it were limited to a 2.6" bore, no MWE, the big contoured/clipped wheels are no longer such an advantage.

Back